A Steal Of A Deal

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Please understand that I am not trying to start a flame war or berate anyone's install, but wood is never the best selection of a mount for the long term, and I am NOT talking decades. Sun, ice, and rain, regardless of being treated lumber or its size, will begin to warp the wood and skew the coordinates. A Sch40 galvanised steel pipe would have been a better bet, and in the same or cheaper price range probably.

charper1 said:
Please understand that I am not trying to start a flame war or berate anyone's install, but wood is never the best selection of a mount for the long term, and I am NOT talking decades. Sun, ice, and rain, regardless of being treated lumber or its size, will begin to warp the wood and skew the coordinates. A Sch40 galvanised steel pipe would have been a better bet, and in the same or cheaper price range probably.
Thanks for the reply charper1,no problem at all.I have used wood posts in the past for dish mounts with no problems at all in my area.The last post I used stood in the same location for 6+ years with 2 different DISH Net dishes mounted on it,no issues with signal loss,etc.The seasonal climates in this area have changed considerably over the past 3-4 decades,milder winter weather,etc.So,I figured what the hey,if it has worked well in the past,why change the formula,you know? :) Like the saying goes,"if it's not broke,don't fix it",that would be me.:) Besides,the second tech that visited to do his sight survey even suggested going the pressure treated lumber route too.

Are you south of Nashville? I lived in Memphis/Germantown in the late 80's - early 90's for a while before transferring with my job to Phoenix.

Yes,actually southeast of Nashville,between Murfreesboro and Woodbury,in Cannon County.

ramcm7 said:
I am reminded of the current Snickers commercial where some office workers confront their coworker to tell him that they know he is bald and that the Snickers bars he is wearing as a toupee aren't fooling anybody.

I don't know how it sells Snickers but I love that silly commercial. Who thinks up this stuff?

You do realize you are only leasing the H20s and the AT9 dish? You will never own them and that deal maybe after rebate.

boba said:
You do realize you are only leasing the H20s and the AT9 dish? You will never own them and that deal maybe after rebate.
Thanks for the reply boba.The offer and deal that was made between DIRECTV and I occurred in February,before the leasing deals began.I have made calls to DIRECTV to confirm that this offer was legit and they have confirmed it time and time again.They have even went as far as to send me an invoice for the order via snail mail.It shows on the invoice as follows:2 H20 receivers $0.00 1 5LNB dish $0.00. Installation $0.00 Shipping & Handling $0.00 Total Amount Due $0.00.If any new customers placed orders with DIRECTV before March 1,the option to own was still available.I even went as far on my end to ask how much time I had to get installation and activation done,I was told by DIRECTV order support that there was no time limit for that to get done,as long as orders were placed before March 1.I will find out for sure this Wednesday,when the tech comes to do the install.:)

And now,back to my question from post #40.Will I need to do 2 RG6 runs from the OTA antenna to the H20s for OTA reception,or can I use some type of diplexer or splitter?:)

steve615 said:
And now,back to my question from post #40.Will I need to do 2 RG6 runs from the OTA antenna to the H20s for OTA reception,or can I use some type of diplexer or splitter?:)
Found the answer to my question in another thread.:up :)

Installation/activation is completed

Well,we finally got our equipment installed this morning.The technician showed up around 8:30am.Everything seemed to go very smooth.He attached one of the two support arms to the dish and post.Due to the location of the post and dish,there was nowhere for the other support arm to be installed.He had the installation part of the work order completed in less than two hours.He also kept everything picked up and clean as he went about his business.When he placed the call to activate the receivers,he was told that their systems were shut down,doing updates to their computers and that they basically had no idea how long that would take.He actually stuck around for almost 2 more hours,placed a couple more calls,trying to get the receivers activated,with no success.He said that he needed to get on the road to do another install and asked if I would be ok with activating the receivers myself.I told him yes,that was fine with me.So,I signed off on the work order,he called his office and explained to them what was going on with the receivers.Then he handed the phone to me.I was asked 4-5 questions in regards to my satisfaction with the install job,the techs appearance and attitude,etc.I feel that he did an excellent job with the installation.The PQ on his meter when adjusting the dish was showing a constant 97-98 range,out of a max of 100 on the meter that he was using.He also left a 6x8 Zinwell multi-switch with me.He said that I didn't need it for the install,but,it was on the work order and if I wanted it for possible future equipment additions that I could have it.So,I told him yes,I would like to have it,in case we decide to add more receivers.I tipped him 30 bucks because I was very pleased with the overall job that he done for us.He thanked me for the tip,I told him to enjoy a free lunch on us today.:) He was back on the road at 12:45pm.So,as the afternoon went by,I placed 2 calls myself to attempt to activate the receivers with no success.As I was waiting around to get the receivers activated,both of them received software updates.I waited awhile longer and placed a third call around 6pm and was finally able to get the receivers activated.The lady that I spoke with at order support was very apologetic about the delay in getting the equipment activated.As the activation process was going on,she asked if I would be interested in their protection plan.I told her that the tech that done the installation talked briefly about that,but,didn't go into very much detail about it.She basically explained that the plan covered any service calls,cable runs,equipment problems.After she made her brief speech about that,she informed me that they were adding the protection plan free of charge for the first year.I guess that was another little perk for basically waiting all day to get the receivers activated.The equipment is owned by us,not a lease deal because the order was placed in February.The long wait to activate the receivers was somewhat annoying,but,the deal is finally done.So far,the reception on the channels that we have viewed is ok,no issues with picture freeze,pixilation or anything like that.The signal strength reads constantly between 85-90.:up :)

Last edited:
First bill from DIRECTV

We got our first bill from DIRECTV yesterday.It showed an amount of $73.58 due.:confused: So,I sat down and looked it over real good before placing a call to them.There was a $33.00 charge on the bill for HBO,Starz and Showtime (supposed to be free for first 3 months).That was the error I found before calling and talking to them about the billing.I place my call,get in touch with a friendly CSR and sure enough,the $33.00 charge was an error on their part.She made an adjustment to the account,dropping the $33.00 charge.The lady told me that our bill for the first 3 months will be $37.86 total (Total Choice $29.99,2nd receiver $4.99 plus tax),not $73.58.After the 3 months are up,it will be Total Choice and the HD Pack for us.We have plenty of DVDs to watch,no need for the movie channels.I also noticed on this bill that our annual committment was lowered from 2 years to 1 year,an even better deal than was originally agreed on.:up

Second bill from DIRECTV

I went to D*s site earlier today to check our current bill...Well,to my surprise,they are showing a credit of 17 cents. :confused: The itemized section of the billing lists the TC at $29.99,2nd receiver charge of $4.99,plus taxes....It appears that D* is still trying to bill us $33.00 for the movie channels (HBO,Showtime and Starz),which is still free for 2 more months....When the bill comes in the mail,I will still send payment of $37.86,which was the amount of the prior month's bill....Has anyone else had issues like this with their billing?

200 bucks a month to watch freakin TV??? I dont even want to pay close to 100 bucks cause there realy isnt anything on...

It is getting to the point that I watch so many DVDs now that I'm not sure that "live" TV is worth it. If the OTA was worth crap I might give up on D*. Problem is I'm a news junkie.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts