A very sad day for me

fenwah said:
I emailed this information to my wife. She came back with what I knew she would say...that is she doesn't want to burn any bridges being the new family in the neighborhood. I can't disagree with her either. I still have 6-7 more months to enjoy Dish.

We're also not allowed to have any kind of fence or storage shed. Therefore we have to install an invisible fence for our dog, and we bumped up to a 3.5 car garage for added storage room. Kinda like living in a Nazi neighborhood...but the houses are spectacular. At least the neighborhood is full of kids, so our kids will have plenty of friends.
You can't give up that easily! Chances are that 90% of the people in your HOA don't care about dishes, and it's just one nazi on the board that put that rule in. Put up your dish, and when the HOA representative complains, show the OTARD information.

fenwah said:
I emailed this information to my wife. She came back with what I knew she would say...that is she doesn't want to burn any bridges being the new family in the neighborhood.

Having lived in a HOA governed community, I wouldn't do it again. No freedom to paint my front door a "non-earthtone color" and the fees! Nazi camps are expensive!

Seriously though, how can you be "burning any bridges" by doing what the law provides for you? What are laws for? The HOA would, in fact, be breaking the law if they attempted to enforce their will on you by discounting that law. If some people are "pissed off" by someone whose actions are consistent with the law, they need to direct their objections to the makers of the law. Laws are generally made to protect people and provide an orderly society. Anyone who thinks he is above the law has an ego that won't quit and needs to be re-educated.

Bottom line is -- anyone that doesn't respect the law or your right to proceed under the provisions of the law is an idiot. And I wouldn't care how many bridges I burned between him and me. Hopefully, I would burn all of them. If there is anyone with any class and intelligence in that community (and I suspect there are), they will respect you for making your own choices.

Good luck!

fenwah said:
We're also not allowed to have any kind of fence or storage shed. Therefore we have to install an invisible fence for our dog, and we bumped up to a 3.5 car garage for added storage room. Kinda like living in a Nazi neighborhood...

And you want to live there for what reason???? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I look at it like this, HOAs have a very valid purpose and are explicitly spelled out BEFORE your pay any money to build or move in. These organization thrive because of past events that YOU may never have experienced FIRST HAND, or just haven't yet. But no one should whine about an HOA afterward, I mean you knew before, you just fight the unjust rules.

Once you save up and buy an expensive home to raise your family in, just to have a neighbor move in later that refuses to keep his front lawn kept, or treats it like a automotive storage facility or paints his house pink you will understand. You will understand even more if you decide to sell that home you worked hard for, and find out it has lost 10's of thousands of dollars in value (that come out of YOUR pocket) because of these types of unruly neighbors, that may NOT be violating any city LAWS on the books, but they obviously have no common sense and do not respect the others around them.

Do I say HOAs are perfect? NO, but no recourse to protect your home and property value is far worse. Do I think some HOAs try to push the boundaries? Yes, because they are trying to think ahead and stop issues before they arrive, but then you calmly and rationally work to resolve those very few as they come up, not throw out the entire thing. Think about having no laws in your city because you didn't like just a few. (The old saying "throwing the baby out with the bath water" deal). Why does everyone always want all or nothing?

I look at it like this, HOAs have a very valid purpose and are explicitly spelled out BEFORE your pay any money to build or move in. These organization thrive because of past events that YOU may never have experienced, but don't whine about it afterward, just fight the unjust rules if you DECIDE to move in.
Not necessarily. My example is a perfect one. I lived there for 8 months before they erected this one dish rule. Also, I didn’t get any rules until after I moved in
Once you save up and buy an expensive home to raise your family just to have a neighbor move in that refuses to keep his front lawn kept, or treats in like a automotive storage facility or paints his house pink you will understand. You will understand even more when you decide to sell your home and it has lost 10's of thousands of dollars in value that come out of YOUR pocket because these types of unruly neighbors may NOT be violating in city LAW on the books, but they have no common sense and do not respect the other around them. Do I say HOAs are perfect? NO, but no recourse is far worse. Do I think some HOAs try to push the boundaries? Yes, but them you calmly and rationally work to resolve those as they come up, not throw out the entire thing. Think about having no laws in your city because you didn't like just a few. The old "baby with the bath water" deal. Why does everyone always want all or nothing?

I agree on this part

Iceberg said:
Not necessarily. My example is a perfect one. I lived there for 8 months before they erected this one dish rule. Also, I didn’t get any rules until after I moved in

So the HOA was started AFTER you owned your property?

Then did you attend the meetings to frame the charter and rules?

No vote, no attendance = no say, no voice.

Anything done before a HOA is formed is ALWAYS grandfathered.

EDIT - meant to add if the HOA was there when you moved in, BY LAW your were to be informed that there was a HOA and should have been handed the rules/charter.

Fenwah,
If your new house hasn't been built yet, you can still incorporate ways to make the dish "invisible," if you want. For example, you could have the builder put a "niche" into the roofline or a recessed area in the wall to mount your dish - be creative! You could also, as someone else suggested, prewire for the dish so no wiring will be visible from the outside. On a home such as you will be building, there are usually multiple roofline changes that can be used to your advantage. Don't forget to prewire the attic for an OTA antenna!

Brad

charper1 said:
So the HOA was started AFTER you owned your property?

Then did you attend the meetings to frame the charter and rules?

No vote, no attendance = no say, no voice.

Anything done before a HOA is formed is ALWAYS grandfathered.

nope. The HOA was there before I moved in but what I am saying is they didnt tell of any rules...and after I moved in they came over and told me of the rules...most are pretty simple (dont leave crap outside, park in the designated areas, pick up after your dog, ass'n is due on the first, blah balh blah

What I was saying was 8 months after I moved in is when the new head of HOA (who again is no longer the head) tried to invoke this one dish rule. The rest of the HOA didnt care but he was gung ho about doing that.

Most of the rules were done from what I can see way back when the houses were built, some 20 years ago....long before dish :)

Iceberg said:
so you're saying your HOA would have a coronary if they saw this on my roof? :)

(yes this is my setup...well sort of)
the dish at the far left is now a 24" motorized :)
Iceberg I am extremely impressed with your dish arrangement!

Every HOA should have an attorney to insure that the rules do not violate federal, state, county and if it applies city laws. The HOA can be sued by violating these laws. The bylaws of the HOA "should: always be reviewed on an ongoing basis to confirm this. You as a HOA member would be liable for paying penalties and fees if the HOA were to loose a suit. Give a copy of the FCC rules at the next HOA meeting when you move in and bring it up as an issue that they can be sued or force to pay a penalty. If you can remember that a person in Florida sued the HOA because it did not allow him to have an American flag on a pole. He was a veteran and it made national news. Well the HOA lost, and now the man is suing the HOA. You can rest assure that every HOA member will have increase fees to help pay for the penalty.

There are many positives and negatives in living in a community with an HOA, and as stated before, you should be aware of the rules that you will have to live by, but these rules should never violate the law.

Many people worked hard to make the FCC ruling possible; give the HOA a copy and put up your dish! :)

OK, I'm going to wade into this one a bit.

As most of you know I'm an avid "Dish Guy". However, I'm also on the architectural committee of our HOA.

We've taken the approach that a dish(s) are OK, we just ask the homeowner to put them in the least visible place on the home that will get the signal.

We ask that the homeowner put the dish on the back or a back corner of the house if there is a suitable signal at that location. With 3-400 homes, we've only found a few that can't get a good signal from somewhere back there.

Our biggest problem has been with a few "less that fully motivated" installers who put the dish right above the cable tap, which is always on the side, near the front of the house. In every install I've checked, it isn't there because of signal, but because they don't want to run the lines to the back of the home.

Anyhow, it would seem like a simple plan:
-make sure that everyone gets dish service.
-put the dish in the least visible place that will get a good signal.

It doesn't have to be a "us or them" situation if you work out a simple system.

BTW.... To meet the FCC requirements, we don't require prior approval and cable runs aren't longer than those provided the "basic" install price. So, we've met those FCC requirements.

... for what it's worth.

fenwah said:
I emailed this information to my wife. She came back with what I knew she would say...that is she doesn't want to burn any bridges being the new family in the neighborhood. I can't disagree with her either. I still have 6-7 more months to enjoy Dish.

We're also not allowed to have any kind of fence or storage shed. Therefore we have to install an invisible fence for our dog, and we bumped up to a 3.5 car garage for added storage room. Kinda like living in a Nazi neighborhood...but the houses are spectacular. At least the neighborhood is full of kids, so our kids will have plenty of friends.

Perhaps after living there for a few years, I might bring this up at a homeowner's association meeting. I just don't want to piss off too many people in the neighborhood after just moving in there.

Or better yet...I will anonymously submit this information to the association.

Fenwah,

Come on, what are you doing? This is America! Land of the free. Home of the brave. Where Men are created equal in the eyes of the law. Bring us your tired, your hungry, your huddled masses yearning to be free. Where anyone is allowed... Oh wait a minute, that was the old America before "you know what happened". Now no one has any rights. :eek:
Bottom line! They may be able to tell you what kind of fence to put up. they may be able to tell you what color your house can be. They may be able to tell you how many inches tall your grass must be at all times. Even how many kids you are allowed to have in a ten year period, but thank god one of the few things that Georgie and congress didn't put in the patriot act was a law saying you aren't allowed to have a dish! I understand not wanting to piss people off, but here is what you do. You, your wife and your kids just go ahead and build the new house and have that builder make sure he puts that dish up good and strong, move in and all, and enjoy watching the channels you have always been watching on dish. Let them make the first move by telling you that you can't have it, play ignorant, and then pull out the federal law that trumps their little HOA rule, and you win. Plus you might be surprised with how many people around there might want to do dish as well. IT'S CALLED CLUB DISH CARDS BABY, CLUB DISH CARDS!!! Take some money off that bill! It's the AMERICAN WAY!!!!!!!!!! ;)

HA also let YOU tell your neighbors what THEY can or can't do.

That is a nice thing when your neighbor wants to do things that will seriously effect your property value (Read, cost you a bunch of money) like storing old applicancies in the front yard, letting their yard grow tall enough to bail, fill the street with broken-down motorhome and boats.....

-edit for spelling

I was doing an installation in a new develpoment near the beach here and it was your typical eve mounted dish... when one of the neighbors drove up and told me to take the dish down because it was against HOA bylaws.

I'm on the ladder mind you....

I walk in and tell the customer what had happened, and I tell him to do a Google search for "satellite home viewers protection act" and read up on it.. and if he wants to continue the install.

Five minutes later he asks if I can pole mount the dish in the front yard for him, for the whole neighborhood to see.

Gladly, I pole mounted it front and center, about 5 feet from the street, trenched and tidy. He said "damn the bylaws, I'll sue their ass off." Gave me a $40 tip too.

I always thought of homeowners associations as the grown-up version of the snobby cliques that were such a prevalent bane in high school.

My boss recently had to install a $250 mailbox that matched the architectural design of the neighborhood. There's no way I'd ever live in a neighborhood that limits my freedoms like that. Even if the rules seem reasonable at the time you move in, a majority can always make changes in the future.

The problem these days is finding a lot that isn't already part of an HOA. My wife and I were looking in our area for over two years, and eventually gave up. Hopefully this is a trend that will soon die out.

Scott

fenwah said:

Perhaps after living there for a few years, I might bring this up at a homeowner's association meeting. I just don't want to piss off too many people in the neighborhood after just moving in there.

Or better yet...I will anonymously submit this information to the association.
Piss on them and their insane little rules and ways ------> I d install a dish (or a few more likely) on MY PROPERTY in NO TIME...

They do NOT like it ----> Tough....

P.S. .. But then again.. i would, more likely, NEVER moved to such a neighborhood to start with :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts