A2 HDMI problem

Jude Robert

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
Bought an A2 at WM last week and I'm now having a problem with the HDMI feed. I have a Philips 42" plasma model 42PF7320A/37 and just upgraded the firmware to the latest version from the Philips website. I also upgraded the A2 to version 2.5 from the Toshiba website.

I upgraded the A2 before trying the HDMI feed so I don't know if the problem existed before the upgrade.

The problem is that I have a green line from top to bottom along the right side of the screen.

Anyone have any idea what may be causing this?

Thanks!

It could be a handshake issue. It could be an issue with your set, too.

There are some interesting problems with HDMI and the A2 that were recently discovered by Toshiba (yet known by CNET). Some 720/768p displays (many of them are projectors) have issues with 1080i over HDMI. Personally, I don't think it's Toshiba's fault. However, they are reportedly working on a fix.

I once had an issue with a blank screen between my Westy and my A2 I figured to be a handshake issue. I just turned my A2 off and back on to fix it (and endured the fiendishly long startup time).

The problem is that I have a green line from top to bottom along the right side of the screen.
How wide is the line? Is it right on the edge of the screen?
If it's just a few pixels wide, it could be an under- overscan issue.

Modern HD/BD players connected to TVs over HDMI are more like HTPC than regular DVD players.

If you have overscan control in your TV, check whether it has any effect.

Diogen.

How wide is the line? Is it right on the edge of the screen?
If it's just a few pixels wide, it could be an under- overscan issue.

Modern HD/BD players connected to TVs over HDMI are more like HTPC than regular DVD players.

If you have overscan control in your TV, check whether it has any effect.

Diogen.

I swaped it to the other HDMI input and it looks to be working correctly now, I don't know if the connection was bad or it didn't like the first input. My vip622 is now pluged in where the A2 was and it looks to working correctly as well.

I guess I'll find out over the next few days if it really is fixed.

I looked through the TV menus looking for an overscan control but didn't see any, would it be somewhere else?

Thanks!

I looked through the TV menus looking for an overscan control but didn't see any, would it be somewhere else?
Don't know.
There can be quite a bit of a difference between the controls you have over the displayed image taken from a digital (HDMI) vs. analog (component) input.
Very dependent on the particular TV set.

Not unlike the brightness/contrast/hue/saturation/gamma controls that differ depending on whether you use overlay or VMR7/9 on an HTPC.

A few years ago there was a common problem with players on HTPC that would show a green line on the bottom of the image.
It turned out to be an issue of displaying a 1080/60i image when it was flagged as 1088/60i: the last 8 lines had no information and some players showed them as a green line.

Diogen.

I had a problem here and after several elimination tests, I found the cable I grabbed was rated for 1.0 HDMI only, ie 480P max bandwidth, works great on the SD DVD player. Got a cable rated for 1080p-60 at 12 bit color and all is well. Expensive though.

I had a problem here and after several elimination tests, I found the cable I grabbed was rated for 1.0 HDMI only, ie 480P max bandwidth, works great on the SD DVD player. Got a cable rated for 1080p-60 at 12 bit color and all is well. Expensive though.

This is the cable I'm using.

Only for $3.09 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDMI Cable male to male 28AWG - 6ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated) | 28AWG HDMI Male to Male Cables

I don't have the issue anymore, changing to the other HDMI input has fixed it. I don't know why, maybe a bad connection?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts