Are MONSTER HDMI cables better than monoprice cables?

cinnabun93

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
United States
I was looking at hdmi cables, and I currently have a monoprice cable. I was wondering if buying one of those Monster cables would make my picture any better.

Nope they are the same. A digital signal is a digital signal.

Engadget or Gizmodo recently did a test and they both tested the same. The only thing you get for the extra money is the Monster Name on your cable.

Nope they are the same. A digital signal is a digital signal.

Engadget or Gizmodo recently did a test and they both tested the same. The only thing you get for the extra money is the Monster Name on your cable.

I'm not espousing one brand or another, but a signal is a signal is only sort of true. HDMI performance can vary but usually over 5m or more.

Theres a particular signal, referred to colloquially as a cats eye that it needs to pass and there are plenty of expensive and cheap cables havent been able to do so.

Cheers,

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I'm not espousing one brand or another, but a signal is a signal is only sort of true. HDMI performance can vary but usually over 5m or more.

Theres a particular signal, referred to colloquially as a cats eye that it needs to pass and there are plenty of expensive and cheap cables havent been able to do so.

Cheers,

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

John is correct, as usual. Part of the problem is that we expect more and more from the cable over time, adding higher resolution (bandwidth), more complex audio coding, and lately internet/data traffic. The original cables were designed for a maximum bandwidth that is regularly being exceeded.

You can look for a high speed label. However, I have an issue in that the industry alliance is more concerned with packaging and labeling than with testing. The conformance test is specified, but there is no central lab that certifies a cable. Getting a cable labeled high speed or 1/3. 1.3a, 1.4 doesn't really mean much.

The good news is that the cables tend to fail spectacularly when they fail, so you don't need to worry much about marginal performance. If it works, it is as good as the next one.

Yeah, I got hung up on geek talk up there. Go Monoprice. It consistently performs as well as anything out there for 1/10 the cost.

I have some monoprice cables, but I prefer the mediabridge from Amazon, more flexible (not as stiff), and inexpensive. If you want to improve video quality, the only thing that will do that is a better video processing, i.e. a Lumagen or DVDO video processor.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)