AAA Discount Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Miller426

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
I am trying to switch back to D* after being gone for a couple of years. I saw where there is a AAA discount of $10 per month for 2 years if you are a member. I am a member and tried to get the discount tonight but the CSR told me I needed to call AAA and get a special phone number for this discount then call that instead of 1-888-777-2454</SPAN>. Does anyone have this special phone number or is it specific to the region you live? I was trying to get this done tonight instead of waiting for the local office to open tomorrow. Thanks in advance for your help.

I am trying to switch back to D* after being gone for a couple of years. I saw where there is a AAA discount of $10 per month for 2 years if you are a member. I am a member and tried to get the discount tonight but the CSR told me I needed to call AAA and get a special phone number for this discount then call that instead of 1-888-777-2454</SPAN>. Does anyone have this special phone number or is it specific to the region you live? I was trying to get this done tonight instead of waiting for the local office to open tomorrow. Thanks in advance for your help.

I always thought that the AAA offer was for "New Subs Only" ...
Under the old policy, you being gone for 2 years would still make you an existing (previous) sub, not new, but things change, give it a try ....
I would love to get the AAA discount, but I signed up long before the AAA became available, you would think that if you had AAA they would give you a standard discount, like the rest of the country.

Under the old policy, you being gone for 2 years would still make you an existing (previous) sub, not new, but things change, give it a try ....
I would love to get the AAA discount, but I signed up long before the AAA became available, you would think that if you had AAA they would give you a standard discount, like the rest of the country.

Well I have moved to a new location also so I am not in at the same address.

Jimbo…well now I feel like I did something wrong. I found the number via another location and ordered before I saw your reply. After thinking about this it’s actually been closer to 4 years since I was last with Directv. In the past you often received new customer benefits if you were gone for a couple of years. I assumed it was still the same. Anyway they gave me the AAA discount, Free 1st HD DVR, 2nd HD DVR for $99 and 3rd standard receiver for free. They would not do a referral with the AAA package though.

Mleland…thank you for the number. I found it a different way but after seeing your post I went to my AAA site and couldn’t find it until I searched for Directv. AAA could have more customers if they better advertised savings like this on their website or just made the site more user friendly. Either way thanks for your help. I will be installed on the 17th. That seems like a long wait time but oh well.

Jimbo…well now I feel like I did something wrong. I found the number via another location and ordered before I saw your reply. After thinking about this it’s actually been closer to 4 years since I was last with Directv. In the past you often received new customer benefits if you were gone for a couple of years. I assumed it was still the same. Anyway they gave me the AAA discount, Free 1st HD DVR, 2nd HD DVR for $99 and 3rd standard receiver for free. They would not do a referral with the AAA package though.

Mleland…thank you for the number. I found it a different way but after seeing your post I went to my AAA site and couldn’t find it until I searched for Directv. AAA could have more customers if they better advertised savings like this on their website or just made the site more user friendly. Either way thanks for your help. I will be installed on the 17th. That seems like a long wait time but oh well.

Well looks like you git a different AAA deal than what I was thinking of.
If they gave you a deal, and it's good for you then GREAT :)

The old rule was once a sub always a sub, but with the way the economy and other things are going, that may have changed by now.
The AAA deal I knew about was like $ 23 off your bill p/m for the first year, I thought, I was never eligible for it because I am not a new sub, so I never was able to take advantage of it.

Jimbo

Well looks like you git a different AAA deal than what I was thinking of.
If they gave you a deal, and it's good for you then GREAT :)

The old rule was once a sub always a sub, but with the way the economy and other things are going, that may have changed by now.
The AAA deal I knew about was like $ 23 off your bill p/m for the first year, I thought, I was never eligible for it because I am not a new sub, so I never was able to take advantage of it.

Jimbo

Actually they gave me the above plus $33 per month off the bill for the first year and $10 off the bill for the second year plus 3 free months on the movie channels. Getting two HD DVR's for $99 was the kicker for me. I fully expected to pay $200 for the second HD DVR but they offered the second for $99 or a free second standard DVR or HD box for free.

Does 17 days seem like a long time for an install to anyone else?

Actually they gave me the above plus $33 per month off the bill for the first year and $10 off the bill for the second year plus 3 free months on the movie channels. Getting two HD DVR's for $99 was the kicker for me. I fully expected to pay $200 for the second HD DVR but they offered the second for $99 or a free second standard DVR or HD box for free.

Does 17 days seem like a long time for an install to anyone else?

Depends on your area, but YES, it does.
You can call the installation company if you want, D* will give you the number or call them while on the line if you want.
See if they can give you anything sooner, maybe a saturday when your likely off work.
If that doesn't work, you can call the installation guys and be put on thier cancellation list, if someone cancels they will call you and fit you in.

Jimbo

Depends on your area, but YES, it does.
You can call the installation company if you want, D* will give you the number or call them while on the line if you want.
See if they can give you anything sooner, maybe a saturday when your likely off work.
If that doesn't work, you can call the installation guys and be put on thier cancellation list, if someone cancels they will call you and fit you in.

Jimbo

Oh well, I can wait two weeks if I have to. The CSR said it was due to the current offer coming to an end and it has been popular. Comcast has a stronghold on south east PA so I suspect it’s lack of installers but who knows.

What kind of dish will I get? I only have one cable currently running to the DVR rooms, will I need a second run? I wonder if the installer will run a CAT 5 (I provide) through the basement and up the floor to the first DVR? Will Internet connection be a replacement for a telephone connection or do I need both? Sorry for so many questions. I cut my teeth on DSS with DBSFORUMS in the late 90’s but it seems Dan closed that site and I did my own installs in the past and now I feel like I am learning this all over again as so many things have changed in the past couple of years.

Jimbo, are you still under a contract? If you aren't, call their retention department and let them know your local cable provider is offering you a better deal and see what they can do...I still have 8 more months to go until my contract expires.

Jimbo, are you still under a contract? If you aren't, call their retention department and let them know your local cable provider is offering you a better deal and see what they can do...I still have 8 more months to go until my contract expires.

I'm not sure if I am anymore or not, I'll have to check.
edit: End of July my commitment should be over.

Jimbo

Can the AAA discount be applied with other offers? Like could this be used with the "Refer a Friend" deal?

Can the AAA discount be applied with other offers? Like could this be used with the "Refer a Friend" deal?
I was able to do both last September, but things could have changed now. A referral was only $50/person back then. Just call and ask.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)