Thinking about change

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mj911sc

Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
IL
I posted a similar topic in the E* forum but wanted to hear the other side of the equation. Let me start by saying I have been a D* customer for 8 years or so, I have 4 receivers that I currently use, 2 older Tivo receivers, 1 hd dvr receiver and one standard receiver. I have been seeing a plethora of ads regarding E* and had been thinking of giving them a try. I currently have the choice + package with the $10 HD package. I wanted to know what the guys and gals in the D* side had thought about this switch. Any one defect from E* to D*???

Thanks

M

I wouldn't do it. I have had E* twice and wasn't happy. I think within the year, D* is going to surpass E* in regards to HD. It will always be back and forth, but I think D* is just a better ran company. You never know what station disputes or package changes E* will do next. Just look and see what they are doing with the Platinum HD package and you can see how they view things. YMMV though. In the end, you will have to ultimately decide what you think will make you happy.

I think within the year, D* is going to surpass E* in regards to HD.
Given that D* isn't slated to have any more satellite capacity until some time in Q1 2010, I think you're going to be disappointed. E* offers more HD LIL markets (but probably fewer channels) and quite a bit more non-sports HD content.

What D* brings to the table is sports, sports and more sports.

Hardware-wise, things are probably going to get exciting on the D* side but they certainly aren't in a leadership position at this time.

Given that D* isn't slated to have any more satellite capacity until some time in Q1 2010, I think you're going to be disappointed. E* offers more HD LIL markets (but probably fewer channels) and quite a bit more non-sports HD content.

What D* brings to the table is sports, sports and more sports.

Hardware-wise, things are probably going to get exciting on the D* side but they certainly aren't in a leadership position at this time.

Don't know about where you come from, but a year here is 12 months. LOL! I may have worded it wrong, but i meant in the next 12 months..

There's not a huge difference, but I do think D* is much more efficient and consistent in the customer service aspect. I did have some different HD channels (Travel, Lifetime, LMN, Hallmark Movie Network) but I also didn't have Spike or FX on Dish then either, so it's like a see-saw with who's the HD leader at the moment.

One thing I think worth noting, and it may be not a big deal with others, but the SD quality on D* is considerably better than what I had with E*. Maybe it was because I had to share one receiver with two tv's on their Vip722 box, but I've seen both D* and E*'s SD on the same tv and without a doubt D*'s is better. It's hard to describe, but I often got jittery and a shimmering looking SD pq with E*. But like I said, perhaps it was because I was using the second output on the same receiver.

As a matter of fact, that is also something else to consider: with E* you share the receiver if it's the HD DVR. So, for example, if you are recording something on the DVR, your TV2 will be tied up with that recording. That is something I do not miss about E*. I like having the dedicated tuner (despite the $5/month lease fee for each) per tv with D*.

I have had both Dish and Direct.

Currently with Direct, I could not live with out the Sports Mix and News Mix channels.

Its like a Super Guide where they alway put the BEST sports on the mix so you can quickly find the top games. Even if WGN has a game it somtimes ends up on the mix.

Dish , has a mix, but only 1 or 2 sports channels on it.

Other wise they are about the same.

I prefer D* so much more. The PQ is much better in regards to HD and SD from what I've seen so far. Dish has far less RSNs as well as less bandwith on the few sports packages they do carry.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts