AAD - Is Out of Business

I figured out why mt AAD channels are gone. It is one of those coincidences. I had reason to cancel a credit card and was going the the process of updating accounts as they tilted. AAD must have tilted and they chose to just drop my account. At least I would have to worry about trying to get money back.

Now back to hoping that Dish isn't going to ignore a decent size market of RVers and Truckers.

Here is the official notice.

http://mydistantnetworks.com/faq

They were a great way to get news as it happened out west, and to record network shows as a second chance, even though in SD.

I asked Brian there about DISH having Distants and the answer sounded vaguely as "I can't tell you but yes.... (Completely my interpretation)

Last edited:
A few years back I read somewhere that a transponder leases for something like $200,000 - $250,000/month. Must not have been covering the cost.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SatelliteGuys

Wow. I have had distant networks in one form or another since day one, first New York and L. A., then Atlanta and San Francisco, and now back to New York. I remember watching New York locals on the morning of September 11. It's one of the reasons I have stayed with Dish for so long. No other provider can feed my local news habit.

Wow. I have had distant networks in one form or another since day one, first New York and L. A., then Atlanta and San Francisco, and now back to New York. I remember watching New York locals on the morning of September 11. It's one of the reasons I have stayed with Dish for so long. No other provider can feed my local news habit.

This is why i will miss it. Sure, i like my local news. But, it was well worth paying extra for a second or third city. I liked the LA and SF local news to see what is going on in the big cities.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SatelliteGuys

I still have my distant channels. Only way I can get networks, other than having Dish change what I'm receiving for locals. Guess I'll have them changing them almost daily at times while we pull the 5th wheel all over everywhere.

They were selling them to RV's. (That was the OP's question) So there is no reason they can't go back to doing it.
Didn't Dish get in trouble for selling them to anyone that asked and that only RVers and truck driver type setups were allowed (FCC exemption ?). They changed the policy and people who wanted them had to show proof that they owned an RV, semi-truck, etc....

Didn't Dish get in trouble for selling them to anyone that asked and that only RVers and truck driver type setups were allowed (FCC exemption ?). They changed the policy and people who wanted them had to show proof that they owned an RV, semi-truck, etc....
In the early days there wasn't much in the way of rules. Then the FCC started passing the rules (SHVIA, SHVER, SHELA, etc.) that refined the rules. DNS subscriptions after a certain date needed to meet requirement. Those prior to that date were Grandfathered-in.

This is where the confusion of memories come. Dish got in trouble, not for giving subscriptions that were not valid, but for ignoring a court order to validate all the DNS subscriptions as being valid or Grandfathered. Dish ignored the court order. That is what caused Dish to lose the rights to issue DNS subscription. There never was any proof that Dish violated the law by issuing invalid DNS licenses after the date.

DirecTV was in the same position but did do the audit as demanded by the broadcasters and therefore did not get into trouble.

The rules of certification for a DNS subscription were defined by the FCC. Same rules for Dish, DirecTV and ADD.

I was referring to the most recent time when DISH went back to selling Distants. They only sold them to RV's. They always had a system for verifying you owned an RV.
When Dish was ordered to stop by the courts after Networks complained (And AAD was born throwing in the face of the Networks) they were selling them to household subscribers. At that time it was legal, even if you were able to get locals from DISH if you were in a white zone. (Or got waivers) Problem was DISH was giving them out too easily and ignored the courts.

Now DISH and DIRECT can not give you Distants if your locals are on their system even if you can not get the locals via an antenna. Seems to me the second time around when they only sold to RV's it was something like it had to be a separate account if you had a home account.

Here's the thread when Distants came back only for RVs:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/256101-DISH-Network-Launches-Distant-Networks?highlight=Distants

Much more reading from the original Court actions
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/71879-Dish-Network-Distant-Networks?highlight=Distants

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...-Drop-ALL-Distant-Networks?highlight=Distants

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/83278-Distant-Network-Information?highlight=Distants

Last edited:
"...Dish ignored the court order. That is what caused Dish to lose the rights to issue DNS subscription..."

So is Dish still barred from providing DNS?

No it was lifted when they met the threshold for coverage of Locals. (And remember, you can't get Distants from a Satellite provider if they have your locals unless it is from a Waiver) Dish chose not to offer it to households the last time, I'm sure because of the very few who would have waivers, and to avoid that whole thing again. RV is a different thing, and they always required the proper information to give Distants to an RV'r.

You keep saying "to RVs." Over-The-Road truckers are also included in the class of subscribers that are allowed to have DNS.

No it was lifted when they met the threshold for coverage of Locals. (And remember, you can't get Distants from a Satellite provider if they have your locals unless it is from a Waiver).

Yet ANOTHER reason to keep AAD around. No LiL's at all.

As long as DISH allows me to change my Service Address as I move my RV from place to place, I don't need DNS because I actually like local news & weather better. I had DNS service through AAD for a while, but all the channels were SD. Blah.

Just has a call from Dish talking about the demise of AAD. It doesn't look good for Dish returning to the DNS marketplace since they are spending so much time on dealing with "moving" fraud. That has brought extra pressure from the broadcasters.

I asked for making it easier for RVers like returning the RV support line or an online service address change for registered subscribers. Registered meaning submitted vehicle registrations.

At least I have a Hopper which simplifies dealing with changing broadcast channel numbers for DVR timers because PTAT doesn't care.

As long as DISH allows me to change my Service Address as I move my RV from place to place, I don't need DNS because I actually like local news & weather better. I had DNS service through AAD for a while, but all the channels were SD. Blah.

This was the reason I cancelled them years ago. I got sick of paying $10+/month for a batch of channels in SD when Hulu could stream them to me for free, and later $7.99/month in SD that looked much better than their channels and without the cropping. I think it was the ultimate switch of upgrading from a Dishplayer 625 to a VIP 722 is what pushed me into that direction. Once I started watching TV in HD it was so much harder to watch Dish Networks SD channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)