AAD - Is Out of Business

I believe the CSR I spoke to was from the Philippines, directv does the same thing as well. They lie to the new customers saying we can offer you distant networks plus superstation. I would love to see directv offer a promotion where if you have distant networks with dish network and superstation, we will let you subscribe to them, if you can show us your billing statement as evidence. I am going to try and call directv to see if they can work out a deal.

I'll be starting the auction on that bridge shortly.....

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I have auto pay and just received my Feb bill from AAD. It was $10.19 instead of $14.99. So it was prorated to the # of days left until they stop service. I will miss the sports coverage. Each Sunday I would get 2-4 extra NFL games that were not in my DMA. The same is true for many other pro sports. The ability to record on the west feeds on Sunday eliminated the problems of extended NFL games.

The rules for what is one's local networks does not take in the fact that many millions of Americans have second homes. These people pay taxes in two or more places. The rules allow you to change DMA while in each place. However, many have a large investment in these other homes and would like to see the local news from each area all the time. Since Satellite and cable providers cannot give these people both sets of local networks, they are at major disadvantage to online services that can. Those who set the rules need to even the playing field. I wonder if Dish could offer distant locals on their Dish Anywhere internet service.

What online services can give you locals? Or give you Distants of your choice? I know of one that is relatively easy to get some PA locals, in low definition. You pay much more than the cost of locals to get a decent picture.
If you are talking about news, many stations have podcast type newscasts available online, on Roku etc... Don't need DISH for that nor would DISH have just newscasts.

As for vacation homes, etc... Slingbox has worked great for me for years. Even better now that the full app is on the WD Live Player.

The rules for what is one's local networks does not take in the fact that many millions of Americans have second homes.
"many millions" might have a 2nd home, but as a percentage, it's going to be small. Regulations like this generally exist for the "rule", not the "exception".

And what percentage of that are even interested in paying for a second set of locals? Keep in mind the price AAD was charging was probably a real world price if the Networks even considered allowing it. AAD stopped selling the HD version because so few wanted to pay that kind of money. And it appears not enough want to pay the SD cost either.

And it appears not enough want to pay the SD cost either.
Rather key point there, you make... Just because a tiny subset of the US population, i.e. those that frequent discussion forums for satellite TV service, doesn't mean it's a sound business model.

As for vacation homes, etc... Slingbox has worked great for me for years. Even better now that the full app is on the WD Live Player.

Little off topic but a question- I have what I believe is called a "sling adapter" (red rectangular thin box) plugged into the USB on my 722K. I use the dishanywhere website from my notebook to access it when up at lake.. Is this the same thing as a slingbox? Will the app that is on the WD live work with my sling adapter if I bought one for usage at the lake?
Thanks, Gerry

Unfortunately no. The sling adapter is a lesser version of a Slingbox. It works with Dishanywhere and is for watching Dish only. A slingbox can be for any source of any provider, some even can get OTA and have a built in tuner, or for security cameras and a lot more. The app in a WD Live player will work only with a slingbox.

That said, you can hook your computer to your TV and get a bigger picture that way. Prior to the APP being in the WD player that's what I would do if more than myself wanted to watch. There are other ways to get the picture to the TV. If you have a Roku it will take the picture and sound from a mobile device that has the Sling app (again for slingbox only) and put it on the TV. Some TV's now will take whatever you are watching on a mobile device and show it.

And with a little experimenting, the $35 Chromecaster will get it to the TV from your computer if you use the Chrome browser and that may work when you are watching from Dishanywhere.

Last edited:
Unfortunately no. The sling adapter is a lesser version of a Slingbox. It works with Dishanywhere and is for watching Dish only. A slingbox can be for any source of any provider, some even can get OTA and have a built in tuner, or for security cameras and a lot more. The app in a WD Live player will work only with a slingbox.

That said, you can hook your computer to your TV and get a bigger picture that way. Prior to the APP being in the WD player that's what I would do if more than myself wanted to watch. There are other ways to get the picture to the TV. If you have a Roku it will take the picture and sound from a mobile device that has the Sling app (again for slingbox only) and put it on the TV. Some TV's now will take whatever you are watching on a mobile device and show it.

And with a little experimenting, the $35 Chromecaster will get it to the TV from your computer if you use the Chrome browser and that may work when you are watching from Dishanywhere.

Thank you for the detailed description. I did a bunch of searching after posting and did find that it only works with the slingbox. In my situation, it appears that for the amount of time that I would use it when at lake that I am better off just hooking my notebook to TV via HDMI and accessing the dishanywhere website to stream from my 722K at home. I did this last summer and while a little bit of a pain to initially setup it worked quite well out on the deck :).
Again Thanks, Gerry

I called dish and talked to some offshore rep. When I asked him how was this going to work with my motorhome. He told me that they would update my locals, but I would have call in as I travel. I can really see this working as I travel from dma to another all I have to do is call and they will update my service, yeah right.

Some people have been doing exactly that for years, so yes it does work just not convenient. Just give it some time and see what if anything DISH does for RV's. AAD has not shut down yet.

I called dish and talked to some offshore rep. When I asked him how was this going to work with my motorhome. He told me that they would update my locals, but I would have call in as I travel. I can really see this working as I travel from dma to another all I have to do is call and they will update my service, yeah right.
Been doing this for months. Works like a charm with my Hopper's PTAT recording.

The last time I tried changing Service Address was under Dish DNS and the CSR managed to undo the DNS account and it took almost a day to straighten things out. That is why I prefer a system that doesn't involve asking a CSR to do anything.

The Weather Channel? Or Time Warner? I don't think the latter is a done deal yet. If The Weather Channel, they can have it!

Edited to add: No rusty is right! Comcast is buying Time Warmer for over $44B. I fail to see benefit in this consolidation.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)