ABC cancels 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live'

Well, it looks like the rumors were true afternoon - despite all the denials from ABC last month. ABC may as well toss General Hospital into the fire and completely leave daytime television. I see the network is getting ready to heap two turds (idiotic daytime babble) onto what's left of the daytime audience.

When I first met my wife in 1988 she had about 500 tapes of Soaps in her storage including these shows and General Hospital. I went nuts because I wanted not only the shows but the commercials. About 5 years later I got them all transferred. I'm not much of a Soap fan but it's fun to watch the Christmas Shows of the old ones.

I only watch GH, but at the rate they are going, they are losing my interest there as well. I don't even watch it when it's on during the day. I watch it on Hulu. Would be a tiny bit sad if they did cancel it, but would be happier if they would just get some new fresh writers.

Made me wonder what would happen to ABC Soapnet, but I guess that decision was already made, and was a factor in the cancelling of these shows:

ABC Cancels 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' - NYTimes.com
Brian Frons, the president of ABC’s Daytime division, acknowledged in a statement “how bittersweet change is.” Surely one factor behind the move was the decision by the Walt Disney Company, which owns ABC, to transform its SoapNet cable channel — which had relied on the ABC soaps for much of its programming — into a channel with a different format, Disney Jr., aimed at children. That change is scheduled to take place next year.

The only two soaps I've been watching faithfully since I was in junior high have been All My children and One life to live. I gave up on General Hospital when Luke and Laura story was wrapped up in 86. I guess I won't be watching any more daytime soaps after these two are gone. I think ALL soaps will be gone by the end of this decade if not sooner. The demographic that used to stay at home and watch is gone. EVERYBODY has to work now days to even stay even in today's world.

I've watched them for years but these days I record and skip through a lot. I guess I really should not care because I'm at work during the day but how many talk shows can a person tolerate. They are worse than the soaps.

Blaming ABC for this is ridiculous. No network will run a program that doesn't make money. The viewers can cry all they want but it was up to them to keep it going. It reminds me of the people who complain about Reality Television. If people didn't watch it then it wouldn't be on the air

Last edited:
I don't see the online format working the soaps...but who knows.

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys App

When NBC cancelled Passions, it moved over as a DirecTV exclusive for a few months. I believe DTV wrote it off as a marketing promotion to bring those devoted followers over to DTV commitments.

Don't see anything like that here, but who knows until it actually happens.

When NBC cancelled Passions, it moved over as a DirecTV exclusive for a few months. I believe DTV wrote it off as a marketing promotion to bring those devoted followers over to DTV commitments.

Don't see anything like that here, but who knows until it actually happens.

WE added DIRECTV just for that show for a 6 month period. My wife was hooked on Passions. I ended up paying a cancellation fee to get out of the contract. It costed way to much to ever do that again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts