ABCHD on G16 with 6 foot dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

CFreak

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Has anyone had any success with getting ABCHD with a 6 foot dish since they changed over to DVB-S2 8psk 9/10?

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply guys. According to one website G16 output is 42.6 dBW in my part of the country. Would that make much difference? Also does any one think an 8 foot dish would be able to pull in ABCHD and the other high FEC channels?

Last edited:
you might be able to with a 7 1/2 footer

I know of some folks getting other high FEC DVB-S2 feeds with 7 1/2 or 8 foot dishes

There is a ABC HD feed still in DVB. Its part time (up 24/7 but lots of time just black screen) but its there. Same satellite on a mux that already has channels on it ;)

You will have to have a 8/8.5 dish WELL tuned and have near-commercial quality LNB's to get it. My Birdview-C/K-1 combo can get it most of the time, but let the weather get a little bad and its gone. Its a VERY thin line.

With the onset of S2, C-band is slowly becoming the land of 10' and larger dishes, unfortuantely. WAF (or freedom-robbing HOA's) will preclude these 10' and up dishes for all but a few of us....sadly...:mad:

ME? I already have the okay from my wife for a 14-16 foot dish if I can find one, and I think we will need it...LOL

ME? I already have the okay from my wife for a 14-16 foot dish if I can find one, and I think we will need it...LOL

You're either a very, VERY lucky guy, or have quite the back yard that a dish that size looks like a 4 footer or less, or both. I've been hounding my wife for so long about the 7.5' needing to be in the front yard (for complete LOS) she's finally given me the yes to the back yard (for everything 123w and east.)

I've known the wife for 15 years and married for 11 the first of August. In that time I've learned to take what I can get when I can get it and never to look a gift horse in the mouth. :D

It's kind of a shame that I know where there's a 16' solid polar mount dish and pole, under 10 years old, laying in a demolition yard. Ain't gonna happen.

Any chance with a 7.5' dish?

I worked on a 7 1/2ft Sami today for a friend with a co-rotor an he got it just barely, (ABC & the Fox S2 mux on 4080 on G-16) an his dish is fine shape no dings or dents an very well tuned, no luck on the S2 422 on CBS HD on G-19 but got the HD qpsk just fine, also missed a few other S2 on other satellites.

all in all if you want to do S2 I would go with at least 10ft to be solid, or bigger, with signal to spare.

after all most women can not tell size any way once you got it up in the air.

which leads me to a short story.

had a 7 1/2 footer CM dish up with a co-rotor for years, (Pan-3500 ran it) an after getting my Pan-9000 a few years ago had a problem locking some S2 feeds. so pop the dish off its mount an put another CM 10 footer in it place (both dishes look the same an are mounted up over the roof), now did this wile the wife was at work that day. she never even notice that a 10ft was up instead of a 7 1/2ft for months, up until my boat buddy came by an ask on "how is the new dish working" an wife goes "what dish" an I pointed to the 10 footer an she said its been their for years. an this was a good month or 2 after me changing it out.

so when you put you're 7 1/2 footer up just tell here it is only 6 ft an realy wished you would of got 7 1/2ft.

That are a lot of mixed reports on this. Some people are getting the ABCHD DVB S-2 8psk signal fine with at least an 7.5 foot dish. And others report they can't get the signal at all or barely get it. I am just wandering if it has more to do with location then anything. I am wanting to save money and get smallest dish possible. I had in mind one of the soild 6(1.8m) or 8(2.4m) foot dishes. Would a dish being soild help that much with DVB-S2 signals?

That are a lot of mixed reports on this. Some people are getting the ABCHD DVB S-2 8psk signal fine with at least an 7.5 foot dish. And others report they can't get the signal at all or barely get it. I am just wandering if it has more to do with location then anything. I am wanting to save money and get smallest dish possible. I had in mind one of the soild 6(1.8m) or 8(2.4m) foot dishes. Would a dish being soild help that much with DVB-S2 signals?

IMO you are thinking exactly backward. You want the LARGEST dish possible. Never go with the smallest acceptable dish for anything. I understand the need for aesthetics and all, but too small of a dish will hound and haunt you until the day you replace it.

Location does play a part, of course, but you can bet the guys that are getting it with a 7.5 are guys with experience under their belts.

I have been tuning a bit on my Birdview 8.5 lately and I have picked up a few points on the ABC-S2 channels, but I haven't tried the CBS, because the Vantage doesn't do 4:2:2.

Save yourself some headaches and get a 10' dish. And save yourself some money and find a USED one, put a little 'sweat equity' in it, and have yourself a nice dish. I intend to do the same, which is why my BV is up for sale. It works, but I want a BIGGER dish for more headroom on those weak signals. :)

IMO you are thinking exactly backward. You want the LARGEST dish possible. Never go with the smallest acceptable dish for anything. I understand the need for aesthetics and all, but too small of a dish will hound and haunt you until the day you replace it.

Location does play a part, of course, but you can bet the guys that are getting it with a 7.5 are guys with experience under their belts.

I have been tuning a bit on my Birdview 8.5 lately and I have picked up a few points on the ABC-S2 channels, but I haven't tried the CBS, because the Vantage doesn't do 4:2:2.

Save yourself some headaches and get a 10' dish. And save yourself some money and find a USED one, put a little 'sweat equity' in it, and have yourself a nice dish. I intend to do the same, which is why my BV is up for sale. It works, but I want a BIGGER dish for more headroom on those weak signals. :)

I am not worried about how the dish would look. I can put up the biggest uglyest dish I want.:) I been at this for a couple of years. I had a used 10ft dish someone gave me and got good results. Even though it was warped a little. I tweaked it to get NBCHD S-2 8psk single with plenty of signal more than it needed. So I was thinking a 8 foot soild dish would be just as good as the inperfect 10 foot dish. Thats just a guess of course. My 10 foot dished got mangled in a little storm a while back:eek: now its unusable. I been looking around for a good used dish. I am not seeing any goods ones.:tux:

What are you trying to suggest here? ;)

My dishes here are pole mounted, along side of the home over the roof line. about 17 ft of pipe above ground level, now when their up in the air they look smaller in size, than when they are down on the ground where the wife can walk up to an see just how big they really are.

It appears that there is a big difference between DVB-S2 QPSK 9/10 and DVB-S2 8PSK 9/10 = about 4DB differece thats huge! So you would need to have a dish that is over twice the size to get the same signal strength for DVB-S28PSK 9/10 or any other FEC than for DVB-S2 QPSK 9/10 or other high FEC. In theory. Thats according to an online satellite calculater I was using.

My 10' mesh is getting 90% quality with an orthomode chaparall feed and pansat 9200

THats good to hear. Are you able to get the CBSHD DVB-S2 8psk 9/10 feed. I know you would not be able to see the picture with your Pansat 9200 since it doesn't do 4:2:2. BUt you should be able to hear the audio and see the signal strength. If you can is it both on the 7.5 and 10ft dishes?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)