about the Manhattan DJ 1997

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jibaro29

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Lake Worth FL
I'm looking to replace my microHD. Sadly it died a few weeks back. I have the 3500HD and to be cruelly honest I do not care that much for it. The one thing I do like is being able to pick up XM radio on Galaxy 14. I have the Manhattan 1933 and I'm hoping that 1997 can pickup the radio stations as good as the 3500. I would like to know, other than IPTV, what other features makes this unit better than the RS-1933 and 3500HD.

I'm looking to replace my microHD. Sadly it died a few weeks back. I have the 3500HD and to be cruelly honest I do not care that much for it. The one thing I do like is being able to pick up XM radio on Galaxy 14. I have the Manhattan 1933 and I'm hoping that 1997 can pickup the radio stations as good as the 3500. I would like to know, other than IPTV, what other features makes this unit better than the RS-1933 and 3500HD.

The DJ1997 is similar in sensitivity, has good picture quality, but you have a rare situation in the RS1933 in that Manhattan was able to tweak the audio section to allow entry of symbol rates down to 500, rather than the 1.000 default found on the 1997 and most other receivers. No problem with the narrow Peruvian audio mux on 55.5 West. I like both receivers for different reasons. 1933 is a more versatile satellite receiver , while the 1997 has other unique extras...including up to 400 channels of programmable IPTV, You Tube, programmable weather cities, a rocket scientist version of teletext that has news bulletins from organizations including CNN, BBC, CBC, and others. Now is the best time to buy a 1997, as they have reduced the price. Contact a dealer---look them up at www.manhattan-digital.net

I'll be honest it's been a bit since I watched the IP stuff but when I did I was happy to see a nice list of channels out the box on the 1997.

Last edited:
What happened to the MicroHD, is it completely dead? maybe a re-flash of the firmware, power pack, maybe it's fixable?

I agree that the DJ1933 is a better developed receiver with more hobbyist options and much better picture quality when viewing SD channels. The 1997 is based on the same Novatek chipset used by the early X2 Premium, HDVR3500 and the SR1. The conversion from Standard Definition 480i or 576i (interlaced) channels to display on a progressive scan TV (480p/576p/720p/1080p) is not very good. High contrast and other hard edges get jaggies and moire. The deinterlace processing is much better on the ALI based DJ1933.

The ACM channels (such as Music Choice) currently can only be received with the HDVR3500 and PCIe/USB tuners with compatible software. The Novatek based receivers cannot receive ACM channels.

You probably are best off to stay with the 1933 until something new and better comes along. :)

Thanks Titanium, that pretty much takes the DJ 1997 out of the running. So what you are saying is GeoSat 3500 or nothing.

Heavens no! I'm not suggesting the HDVR3500 or nothing.... I only am suggesting that until something BETTER comes onto the market, save your money. The current STB model offerings are pretty slim and uninspiring... :(
I'm thinking he meant the HDVR3500 or nothing because he wants those audio channels.;)

Reactions: Titanium
I'm thinking he meant the HDVR3500 or nothing because he wants those audio channels.;)
That is correct. I'm assuming that the HDVR3500 is the only receiver out there that can get this audio channels. Ouch!!

I heard skyvision might still have some of the older Manhattan receiver 1933 models.
I have a the Manhattan 1933. It just getting to be obsolete for me anyway.

What happened to the MicroHD, is it completely dead? maybe a re-flash of the firmware, power pack, maybe it's fixable?
It wouldn't even turn on. Right now it's somewhere in our local landfill.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts