About the Voom Channels, Seriously

VOOM was created for HD viewers just like HDNet was. Would I watch those channels if they were in SD, probably not because I don't watch any SD channels. Would I watch those channels in HD if the programs had content that I had no interest in? Probably not because I don't watch HD channels just because they are HD. I won't waste my time unless the content was worth watching. If I want HD channels, I have to pay for SD channels too, even though I don't watch them. I have no choice. If I had the option, I would subscribe to HD only channels and not to SD.
thank you, that was a good answer

are u paranoid? Why would he say or think that?
I read your responses each and every time. and from what i could assertain it was a lot of well what if this, and what if that when a simple yes or no would have been enough.

What questions havent i answered of yours?

Paranoid? No. I just READ the posts I respond to. He asks if we would watch Voom if it were in SD, as says he is asking because he wants to know if we watch because the content is good. Because the question does not directly apply to what he says he is wondering about, I answered his question, talked about what we wondered about, and talked about how they relate to each other. All this and more can be learned by reading the posts you respond to.

Likewise, you can find the questions I have asked you in my posts. They are the sentences that end with a "?".

Paranoid? No. I just READ the posts I respond to. He asks if we would watch Voom if it were in SD, as says he is asking because he wants to know if we watch because the content is good. Because the question does not directly apply to what he says he is wondering about, I answered his question, talked about what we wondered about, and talked about how they relate to each other. All this and more can be learned by reading the posts you respond to.

Likewise, you can find the questions I have asked you in my posts. They are the sentences that end with a "?".

t appears you just arent understanding the question, seems pretty simple in this end.

I guess im going to do what most already have and bow out of this one. Its a circular pointless discussion with no answers. Apparently in your view, on either side. If you will read back and actually look(like you claim to do), any question you asked were answered.

t appears you just arent understanding the question, seems pretty simple in this end.

I guess im going to do what most already have and bow out of this one. Its a circular pointless discussion with no answers. Apparently in your view, on either side. If you will read back and actually look(like you claim to do), any question you asked were answered.

It seems that everyone except you understood the problem with the question and answered accordingly. Notice that no one answered with just a "yes or no". Hell, the sentence of mine you bolded and accepted as an answer did not address the OP question at all, but rather addressed the issue of content.

It is trivial to find questions you refuse to answer. These are from just one post.

Would you watch programming designed for sound without sound? If not, does that mean the plot and content is not strong enough to stand on its own? Would you watch shows designed for color if it were presented without? If not, does that mean the plot and content is not strong enough to stand on its own? Would you watch programming designed for a wide screen in full screen? Would you watch shows designed for color if it were presented without? If not, does that mean the plot and content is not strong enough to stand on its own?

See, reading the posts you respond to really helps. Simply reading the OP would have saved you a lot of embarrassment.

It seems that everyone except you understood the problem with the question and answered accordingly. Notice that no one answered with just a "yes or no". Hell, the sentence of mine you bolded and accepted as an answer did not address the OP question at all, but rather addressed the issue of content.

It is trivial to find questions you refuse to answer. These are from just one post.

See, reading the posts you respond to really helps. Simply reading the OP would have saved you a lot of embarrassment.
I guess you win then. :)

Not a valid question

The question does not warrant a yes or no answer. Whatever the question is trying to prove can not be proven. Is SD supposed to validate the programming? It doesn't. HD is a new medium and some things are much better in HD than they are in SD. So if you answer "No" it doesn't validate anything. It may be a "no" because music, for example, sucks in SD. Whereas music in HD with 5.1 is whole new viewing experience. So the answer "no" could be a good thing. Would I watch news if it were SD? Of course I would. Does that mean it's not better in HD? No. See, it's not a valid question.

The question does not warrant a yes or no answer. Whatever the question is trying to prove can not be proven. Is SD supposed to validate the programming? It doesn't. HD is a new medium and some things are much better in HD than they are in SD. So if you answer "No" it doesn't validate anything. It may be a "no" because music, for example, sucks in SD. Whereas music in HD with 5.1 is whole new viewing experience. So the answer "no" could be a good thing. Would I watch news if it were SD? Of course I would. Does that mean it's not better in HD? No. See, it's not a valid question.
ok....

Exactly right. Asking whether a person would watch a given HD channel if it were in SD does not get you information about the quality of the programming on that channel.

Exactly right. Asking whether a person would watch a given HD channel if it were in SD does not get you information about the quality of the programming on that channel.

It could if you read the question. It was asked in a way that could be answered yes or no. It was a question about the content, thats all.

But the content is the HD on many VOOM channels, that IS the point.

If I were to have to watch TV based on content - I would watch NO TV - there is no content there on 99.9% of it anyway.

But the content is the HD on many VOOM channels, that IS the point.

If I were to have to watch TV based on content - I would watch NO TV - there is no content there on 99.9% of it anyway.
if you dont find any content on any channel appealing why do you watch at all?

It was asked in a way that could be answered yes or no.

Most questions cant be answered with a yes or no especially complex or leading ones. If anyone asks for one the simple answer is that you cant without saying something to whatever extent would be untrue. If thats not good enough, sorry.

Anyways to remain on topic. Of all the stuff on Dish/DTV/Cable there isnt very much that appeals to me. Doesnt everything else sucks. Oh and sometimes the medium itself is a message. Such as "our DVR is better than their DVR." But its all POV :D

Voom use to be a seperate add on package to the HD package for I think 10 dollars. Similar to what Directv is doing to MGM, Smithsonian and others. By E* making it apart of the 20 dollar HD package they are in fact subsidizing by making all HD sub pay . Very different Sapient to Discovery.

I have a major problem with this.. It's like TV welfare. Some people here would watch cow crap if it were 1080p.

Most questions cant be answered with a yes or no especially complex or leading ones. If anyone asks for one the simple answer is that you cant without saying something to whatever extent would be untrue. If thats not good enough, sorry.

Anyways to remain on topic. Of all the stuff on Dish/DTV/Cable there isnt very much that appeals to me. Doesnt everything else sucks. Oh and sometimes the medium itself is a message. Such as "our DVR is better than their DVR." But its all POV :D

Noun: medium (media,mediums) meedeeum
  1. A means or instrumentality for storing or communicating information
  2. The surrounding environment
    "fish require an aqueous medium"
  3. An intervening substance through which signals can travel as a means for communication
  4. (bacteriology) a nutrient substance (solid or liquid) that is used to cultivate micro-organisms
    - culture medium
  5. A liquid with which pigment is mixed by a painter
  6. (biology) a substance in which specimens are preserved or displayed
  7. An intervening substance through which something is achieved
    "the dissolving medium is called a solvent"
  8. A state that is intermediate between extremes; a middle position
    "a happy medium"
  9. Someone who serves as an intermediary between the living and the dead
    - spiritualist, sensitive
  10. (usually plural) transmissions that are disseminated widely to the public
    - mass medium
  11. An occupation for which you are especially well suited
    - métier
:)

It could if you read the question. It was asked in a way that could be answered yes or no. It was a question about the content, thats all.

I'm going to post the question to you, yet again, in the futile hope you will actually read it.

"Would you folks that really like Voom, still watch the channels if they were only in SD?"

Note that the word "content" is not in the question. If I answer "no", does that mean the I don't like the content? If that was your conclusion, you would be wrong. I might refuse to watch and SD, regardless of quality of content.

If I answer "yes", does that mean I find the content is good? You'd be wrong to assume so. I might watch Voom because my wife likes shows on fashion.

If the OP wanted to know if we thought the content on Voom was good, he should have asked about content. He did, however, say he was trying to find out what we thought of content with his question. This is why not one person answered with just a "yes or no". Because there was disconnect between the question and the topic, a larger explanation is required.

Everyone here, aside from you, finds this obvious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)