About to take the Hopper/Joey plunge! Last minute questions - suggesttions?

misbehaving

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Hey everyone. I've been a long-term forum reader...mostly using the mountain of information here to navigate my way through the occasional DISH hiccup, but also as a contributor such as when I posted my user experience (Dish Selection Manifesto) when I first investigated/selected/installed/fine tuned my first system. I plan on doing the same thing as I finally take the Hopper/Joey plunge, and part of that process is asking for helpful hints and getting questions answered before I flip the switch.

Here's where I'm coming from: One 722K and one 222K servicing seven televisions. I'm planning to order two Hoppers (one with Sling and both with USB OTA adapters) & four Joeys. Here are my questions - 1) If I installed an external hard drive on my 722 (currently do not have), can I watch those recorded shows on the new Hopper once its installed? 2) What is the cost of the USB OTA adapters? I can't seem to locate that information. 3) The wiring in my home servicing the current setup is 10+ years old...should I rewire prior to install? I currently have a network cable running to my 722, but will I need a second one to link to the second Hopper? 4) The DSL where I'm located only performs, on average, 2.55Mb/s download and .45Mb/s upload speeds. Is that even enough to support Sling?

And this is the most important request...what suggestions of what to consider ahead of time does anyone have? I've learned that its the things you don't know to ask that can bite you later on...so this is me asking that wide-open question.

I appreciate any help I can garner, and as I stated before I plan on posting this experience as an everymans guide for avoiding upgrade failure. Thanks in advance. :)

1) If I installed an external hard drive on my 722 (currently do not have), can I watch those recorded shows on the new Hopper once its installed? 2) What is the cost of the USB OTA adapters? I can't seem to locate that information. 3) The wiring in my home servicing the current setup is 10+ years old...should I rewire prior to install? I currently have a network cable running to my 722, but will I need a second one to link to the second Hopper? 4) The DSL where I'm located only performs, on average, 2.55Mb/s download and .45Mb/s upload speeds. Is that even enough to support Sling?

And this is the most important request...what suggestions of what to consider ahead of time does anyone have? I've learned that its the things you don't know to ask that can bite you later on...so this is me asking that wide-open question.

I appreciate any help I can garner, and as I stated before I plan on posting this experience as an everymans guide for avoiding upgrade failure. Thanks in advance. :)

1) Yes with EHD.
2) OTA adapter is $30.00. You can't see it unless you have a Hopper on your account. From Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4X2JHY/?tag=satell01-20

I can't answer 3 & 4.

Contact a the DIRT folks listed in Red on this page http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php at the bottom. Two are on duty right now. Send them a PM.

1) If I installed an external hard drive on my 722 (currently do not have), can I watch those recorded shows on the new Hopper once its installed?
Yes. Transfer the programs you want from the 722 to the EHD and plug that into one of the Hoppers. Programs can play from the EHD directly or you can transfer from the EHD to the Hopper.

Note that the other Hopper won't be able to access recordings on the EHD and sling won't see them either.
3) The wiring in my home servicing the current setup is 10+ years old...should I rewire prior to install?
Hopper specified 3 GHz rated RG-6 cable from the node to each hopper. RG-59 is acceptable to Joeys. The thing about rated cable is it's no different than cable without the rating. That is, the attenuation at high frequencies is no better for rated cable than for unrated cable. When Dish installed my Hopper, we took a "wait and see" attitude about cable replacement and my existing 2 GHz rated cable worked fine.

If you have long runs and/or cable has been in the weather for a long time, I'd recommend replacement.

Feedthroughs at wall plates also need to be capable of 3 GHz -- many are not and should be replaced if there is any question. Avoid feedthrough splices, but if they are needed, make sure they will pass 3 GHz.
I currently have a network cable running to my 722, but will I need a second one to link to the second Hopper?
If you enable "bridging" on the Hopper with ethernet connection, you shouldn't need to connect ethernet to the second Hopper or the Joeys. There were problems initially with home media setups that sometimes required ethernet connections to Joeys but I think those have all been resolved.
4) The DSL where I'm located only performs, on average, 2.55Mb/s download and .45Mb/s upload speeds. Is that even enough to support Sling?
It's the upload speed that dictates picture quality for sling connections. You need 3-4 Mb/s for HD quality so at your upload rate picture quality will be well below that but it should still work.
If you haven't done so already, read over the Dish documentation on installation and theory of operation so you are familiar with the cabling topology and components. You'll need a dual node and probably some splitters and/or a couple of taps depending on the topology you choose. Terminate all unused outputs on the node, etc.

Bring up the system slowly, one Hopper at a time, then one Joey at a time. Make sure one device makes a picture before plugging in the next device. The system was pretty fragile about startup in the beginning. I haven't heard of issues lately but don't know if the issues have been resolved or everyone just follows the startup sequence that worked in the beginning.

On a multiple Hopper system, it's recommended to have RG6 to all Joeys (whereas RG59 to Joeys is acceptable with only one Hopper).

On a multiple Hopper system, it's recommended to have RG6 to all Joeys (whereas RG59 to Joeys is acceptable with only one Hopper).

I thought RG6 was only imperative when using two or more taps? Never heard anywhere about two Hoppers affecting that requirement.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I thought RG6 was only imperative when using two or more taps? Never heard anywhere about two Hoppers affecting that requirement.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I am an in house tech. They have told us that (at least in my area).

I will try and see if I can find more documentation on it. I know that they may work fine without (just as a Hopper may work without 3ghz), but it has been recommended.

3. The Dish installer will evaluate your wiring and replace it if necessary. However, be aware that they will do all the wiring on the outside of your home, they will not string wire through walls, in the attic or under floors, so if you want it done that way, get some 3000MHS RG-6 coax and do that part yourself.

4. 0.45 upload is a bit weak, you will get a nearly acceptable SD picture, but for HD you need at least 1.5MB upload. Within your house the internal speed is probably about 100MB so there is no problem there - it is out in the world where upload matters.

Why not get 2 HWS's. The HWS is faster, has the sling built in so you can remotely access either HWS. Have Dish install the system. They will do the wiring. There needs to be 3 cables from the dish to the duo node. then each H/J is connected to the node via coax.

I recommend both be HWS. This will simplify iPad/Android transfers and be more future-proof.

That's what I figured, so I spent yesterday under the house running cable (what a mess). And I used to have better upload speed, but when we upgraded to the next level of DSL service we gained download speed but lost upload. I guess its time to address this issue with AT&T. Thank you!

3. The Dish installer will evaluate your wiring and replace it if necessary. However, be aware that they will do all the wiring on the outside of your home, they will not string wire through walls, in the attic or under floors, so if you want it done that way, get some 3000MHS RG-6 coax and do that part yourself.

4. 0.45 upload is a bit weak, you will get a nearly acceptable SD picture, but for HD you need at least 1.5MB upload. Within your house the internal speed is probably about 100MB so there is no problem there - it is out in the world where upload matters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts