AC3 and Dolby decoding Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

adwan001

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
St. Paul, MN
I bought the other day at Walmart a cheap home theater system made by Duraband. It has a DVD player and surround sound. It said on the box that it has Dolby digital and Prologic II decoder. Here is the link to it on walmart's website: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3880837
please take a look at the picture of the back of the unit. It has all the plugs and outlets.

I thought this one would work with my Fortec star ultra to decode the PBS channels that has AC3 audio format.
The box has a digital audio out RCA outlet which I connected to the SPIF (sp) on the back of the receiver and hoping for the best. Turns out, no sound whatsoever. Before putting it back in the box and returning it to walmart, does anyone have any ideas as to how I may get this thing to work??
Thanks a bunch

It looks like the unit you bough has SPDIF output only but no Digital audio input. It will not work with your receiver.

0006211800982_AV2_500X500.jpg

me too

Yea, I bought a cheapie all-in-one system on the day-after-Thanksgiving-sale about three or four years ago.
Then about two years back, when I wanted to hook up optical out from my sat receiver, I realized the hi-fi (mid-fi?) system had only optical out, not in.
That's typical of the little cheapie systems.
I picked up a slightly more expensive unit with a 3-dvd changer, which had the input, 'cause I was looking carefully for that feature.
Price-wise, there wasn't a whole lot of difference.
Shop around, and beware.

guess I lucked out when I bought my el cheapo wally world unit

It has 2 optical inputs (coaxial and the other)

Anole said:
Shop around, and beware.

I thought I read the features correctly when I read the online info. It stated that the set has a dolby decoder. To me that meant it was able to "decode" digital audio. Don't you think it's misleading for a company to state some capability in there product while it does not exist?
I called the company's 800 number and all your comments about the digital out only features were confirmed. They said it did not have the capability to decode digital audio but it does have it as an output. This wasn't very helpful to me and I think the only way out is to take it back where it came from.

Iceberg, I am joining in asking what system did you buy and where?? Cost??

on the other hand...

Well, in fairness, the AC3 DVDs that I make from my Dish PVR, play fine in my cheapo system, and Formula One races on Speed Channel light up all 5 speakers.
Same for all commercial 5.1 DVD, of course.

The decoder is built in, but hooks only to the DVD out, if you will.
So, I have 5.1, but only for DVDs I play... :)

Mine is an RCA HTS-1000 that I got at Radio Shack for maybe $115, around four years ago.
Come to think of it, I don't believe there are 5 discrete inputs, either...
...it is a thin little thing, and the rear is full of connectors...
So, as much as I'd like to bitch, it does well what it's intended to do.
I wasn't cheated. Just inconvenienced.

baya said:
Iceburg, Could we get the brand name and the model #

Walmart changes equipment so much they may not have it anyway. You need a unit that decodes Dolby Digital AND has a digital audio input of the type you require. There are 2 kinds-Digital Coaxial and Optical (Toslink). Check your unit and see which you require.

If you already have a home theatre system you may just need a new receiver. I got the Sherwood RD-6500 for something like $127 and it works well and has both types of inputs.

baya said:
Iceburg, Could we get the brand name and the model #

I believe Iceberg and myself have the same one. It's a Durabrand HT-395. It has 2 inputs. 1 optical and 1 coaxial. I think he gave me a heads up on these a couple months ago and I found one on eBay for around $40.00. Not bad for use with the PBS channels......do an eBay search and you'll probably get lucky ..........MK

You can also use a SoundBlaster Extigy USB external soundcard. It will work as a stand alone Dolby Digital/AC3 decoder without a computer. I got a remanned one off eBay direct from Creative for $49 with warranty as well as a set of 5.1 speakers for $29. I think I'll be investing in some better speakers in the future though, but not immediately.

dogstar1313 said:
You can also use a SoundBlaster Extigy USB external soundcard. It will work as a stand alone Dolby Digital/AC3 decoder without a computer. I got a remaned one off eBay direct from Creative for $49 with warranty as well as a set of 5.1 speakers for $29. I think I'll be investing in some better speakers in the future though, but not immediately.
There is a review about the extigy in the review section. I have had mine for a couple of weeks now and i love it. I paid under 30.00 used on that auction site.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)