Acceptable Signal Strength

Status
Please reply by conversation.

charlie460

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Sep 12, 2009
N/A
I just mounted & aligned a Slimline 3 dish by myself (no meter, used the more "interesting" route of setting up a receiver, pointing a webcam to the signal strength screen, and using a video call via Skype to my cell phone to align it :D)

Anyway, I've got 95%+ signal strength on all transponders/satellites, is this an acceptable number? on 99c they're all 95-97 and almost all the rest are higher. Is this good enough or do I really need 99-100 across the board?

Appreciate it!

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
Geez, if that's the best you can do.....which is better than virtually any experienced installer! :) :up

charlie460

Sep 12, 2009
N/A
Haha, that's more impressive than I thought. Thanks again guys. Wanted to get the signal as good as possible to eliminate as much rain fade issues as possible here in South FL, as summer is on its way!

Joe Diamond

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 3, 2004
Haha, that's more impressive than I thought. Thanks again guys. Wanted to get the signal as good as possible to eliminate as much rain fade issues as possible here in South FL, as summer is on its way!
RAIN FADE is still going to be there. Expect to loose SD at around 40. The HD stuff is on the 99 & 101 sats......they are more sensitive that the SD sats. If you have 90s on the 99 & 101 sats you are good...............do make sure all bolts are firmly tightened (don't break them or strip them) so the dish does not move in high winds.............FL can get some high winds, right?

Joe

charlie460

Sep 12, 2009
N/A
RAIN FADE is still going to be there. Expect to loose SD at around 40. The HD stuff is on the 99 & 101 sats. Do check your numbers on those......they are more sensitive that the SD sats if you have 90s on the 99 & 101 sats you are good...............do make sure all bolts are firmly tightened to the dish does not move in high winds.............FL can get some high winds, right?

Joe

Yep... I have 95% or higher on all sats and TPs. Everything is firmly tightened and I have the monopoles installed for support... Thanks guys! Neighbor of mine has DTV and rain fade has not been a huge issue down here and even with the occasional drops it's by far the best choice for TV, especially sports. (I need my HD hockey)

Hutch1814

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 18, 2011
Indiana
Joe Diamond said:
RAIN FADE is still going to be there. Expect to loose SD at around 40. The HD stuff is on the 99 & 101 sats......they are more sensitive that the SD sats. If you have 90s on the 99 & 101 sats you are good...............do make sure all bolts are firmly tightened (don't break them or strip them) so the dish does not move in high winds.............FL can get some high winds, right?

Joe

99 and 103 are the HD birds, 101 is SD

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
I'll give props to Charlie for his "Creative" way of getting his set up done, webcam !, thats the first time I've heard that one !!!

charlie460

Sep 12, 2009
N/A
I'll give props to Charlie for his "Creative" way of getting his set up done, webcam !, thats the first time I've heard that one !!!

Haha, thanks!! Worked out surprisingly well, there is virtually zero delay on the video call as well.

Joe Diamond

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 3, 2004
99 and 103 are the HD birds, 101 is SD

Opps.........99 & 103 ARE the HD birds..........101 is one of the three SD sats..........110 & 119.........not so much these days.
I misspoke and you correctly identified my error,

Good catch,

joe

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
Opps.........99 & 103 ARE the HD birds..........101 is one of the three SD sats..........110 & 119.........not so much these days.

Good catch,

joe

Actually 110 is deactivated and will be moved out of orbit soon. 119 has many local sd channels and quite a few other channels.

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
Generally speaking yes, but if you speak Spanish, you are going to want to get 119 as there are many Spanish speaking channels there.

Hutch1814

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 18, 2011
Indiana
Joe Diamond said:

Good catch,

joe

;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts