Actuator Recommendations ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Greg Mueller

Munich Oktoberfest
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
Datil, NM
I cleaned my "Perfect 10" BUD today and then started looking at the 'lectronics.
The actuator is toast and I'm not surprised. The polar axis was almost rusted solid. The previous owner had really tighten up the nuts (way too tight) and rust had done the rest. It looks like that axis is just a threaded rod with nylocs on both ends. I'm thinking I'll get some Teflon washers, with a stainless washer under the nuts, after I clean it up.

So any recommendations for an actuator? (cheaper is better)

Also I really want to recommend that "30 Seconds" stuff (again) I went to Home Depot and bought a pump (like for spraying bugs or fertilizer) that was labeled for use with bleach (one gallon size). I mixed 50/50 "30 Seconds" pumped it up and sprayed the petals. It took off ALL the moss and green mold. It is just amazing. Except where the rusty washers had been and a few paint chips, it looks like a new dish.

I don't have anything to do with "30 Seconds" financially, it's just great stuff and really works like they say it does

Greg Mueller said:
Will I need an 18" or a 24" ?

I personally prefer the 24" arms (to leave more in the tube for strength), but an 18" should get you from AMC 10 (135 deg.) to AMC-6 (72 deg.)
Be sure to set the mechanical limit at the motor as well so your dish never flips.
If you want something really quiet, get a Von Weise. Stay away from the "mini" Von Weise, though. I had nothing but problems with those.

Last edited:
Greg,

I have the Von Weise 76-5(1500 pound load) I believe, it is 24" arm. It has worked flawlessly for the last 5 years. There are others like Thompson Saginaw that are more costly but are also very good. Maybe a little better than the Von Weise. But I cant image it performing any better than the Von Weise that I have.

birdview said:
Greg,

I have the Von Weise 76-5(1500 pound load) I believe, it is 24" arm. It has worked flawlessly for the last 5 years. There are others like Thompson Saginaw that are more costly but are also very good. Maybe a little better than the Von Weise. But I cant image it performing any better than the Von Weise that I have.

I also have the 76-5, and it works very well for me too. The only thing I'd add, is I think it can move in a little finer movements than some of the lower end arms. 48 pulses vs. 32. It's the only arm I've ever used, so I don't know how much of that is manufacturer hype though. I'd stay away from the 18" arms, as they probably can't support the wind loading of the larger arms. Your 10 footer may be too much for them.

Mike

Yea get the Von WEise with the 48 count......It will cost a bit more then the 24 count................
Seen the Good Von weise 48 counts on Ebay for $180-$190....
Got mine at wholesale from my distibutor for $107..............Stay away from SuperJacks actuators...JT

"Stay away from SuperJacks actuators" ..... I have been using the 36" superjack that came with my dish for several years without any problems. YMMV

"Stay away from SuperJacks actuators."

I have used one for a year with no problems at all.

It was $30 on Ebay.

For a 10 footer, I would definatley go with a 24" or greater actuator. I have had 3 of the smaller 18" superjacks, and all of them had the same accuracy problem of never stopping on the same spot twice. I'm using a 24" Venture now and it is very precise.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts