Adaptor for DMX741's to Channel Master 1.8m offset Dish??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Achebee

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
Honduras
I posted a thread a couple months ago at WSI section, and not to much response.. Has anyone here actually rigged up an adaptor for a DMX741 to the Channel Master 1.8m Offset Dish???
Robbie at WSI seemed to think that there was a photo somewhere here at these forums, but i can't find it.
The CM offset dish has the LNBF holder integral with the 3 mounting poles, it is not a single pole point that the adaptors are made for that are supplied with the LNBF.
I can imagine that the FD would be quite critical here, and therefore wondering if anyone has found a work around for this..
thanks

Attachments

• HoseClamp.jpg
    HoseClamp.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 243
I don't know what the arm setup on your CM 1.8 looks like but I'm guessing the principle is the same as what Anole did with a smaller offset dish, maybe this will give you some ideas.

Attachments

• Sat Anole MiniBUD.jpg
    Sat Anole MiniBUD.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 371
plenty of good pix 'n reading material:

Oh, a 1.8 meter dish (6'), I thought we were talking about the 1.2m (4') size! - ;)

Here's a couple of pictures of that dish (1.8m) with Ku feed mounted to it.
You can see the LNB adapter is quite a big molded affair.

I think Phaltwound may be right about making up your own adapter.
That picture is just my interpretation of an idea presented here a few years ago by member, Caddata.
Might search back for his original drawings.

But, these pictures by PopCornNmore, are even more striking.
They show a 1.2m ChannelMaster dish.
. . . and don't forget to use the conical scalar for C-band on an offset dish.

See also, Conical Scalar Test Results thread for more info!

Attachments

• CM1 (Large).JPG
    CM1 (Large).JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 555
  • CM6 (Large).JPG
    CM6 (Large).JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 326
  • CM5 (Large).JPG
    CM5 (Large).JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 330
All very good ideas, and FD hangup

Thanks for the feedback here.. .
The 1.8M dishes I have are identical to that shown in Anole's setup, as well as in Greg's photos of his VSA using the 1.2m dish.
All of these are good ideas that you guys have shown me.
I know I can adapt and adaptor for this, my problem has been FD on this.
Is the FD of the offset dish calculated using the same formulas as that of Prime focus dishes?? I bought the adaptor that WSI sells for the 741 same as the one at VS and other retailers.. I could just cut this baby in a way that it seats onto or into the CM LNB holder, but I am worried that if I seat it into, then the lnbf would be to high.. or if I seat it onto it then the FD would be moved back or forward depending on if I attach it behind or in front of the existing holder
In other words I am trying to adapt an adaptor...but I am unclear as to how to calculate the FD on the 741 using an offset dish..
So If I could get that part understood, then I would understand whether or not I can adapt the adaptor, or if i should go ahead and do something like Anole did on his 1.2m setup with the 3 support brackets he rigged up..
I am thinking that Greg's setup with his new clamp is really a pretty nice way to go, I would need to cut the CM mount to fit the larger diameter of the 741 and then put on a custom top clamp such as Greg's..
I still would like a little help with the FD calculation on this if any of you have an idea on that...or if it is the same as for prime focus then I have it all in hand.
Basically I am fiddling around while I am waiting for a dish-moving receiver to show up as my 922 folded on me and I've put the 12 ft. prime on a fixed sat for now, and I have 4 of these CM dishes laying around 2 I used to use for Hughes internet at 2 different locations but I retired them when the wireless services finally were setup here, ... and 2 that have been around for Direct TV and Dishnet over the years..
Thanks for the photos all of you, plenty to chew on..
I'll post photos of my setup with the adaptor I have to see if any of you may have a better idea... I mean for $15 or what ever the adaptors are worth, I would just dive in and mess it up if I was living up north where you guys are. But for me to get any of this stuff, it ships to Miami, is forwarded to me at high prices, plus customs duty, on and on and 1 month later I have another adaptor to play with but it costs about $60 rather than $15 by the time I get it... it's the same on all LNB's , receivers , anything I order.. I'll be back..!!! HB

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/181803-conical-scalar-ring-test-results.html

This is a great thread...Popcornnmore's rigging is a great idea, using the electrical fittings etc. for the application... good stuff, thanks to Anole for linking me to this.

Is offset FD calculated the same way as prime??? I can't imagine it is.. How would one go about finding the actual FD...I know the best way is to just go after it pulling it in and out untill it peaks up, but I sure would like a ballpark figure to get started...thanks, HB

My Adaptor photos

This is the adaptor I bought with the 741.
The first photo is the CM1.8m setup with 50mm opening for most lnbf's
I was thinking I can shorten the lower pole and screw the adaptor onto it using the provided screw hole, and then the 2 poles on the side could be epoxied or strapped on somehow..this would leave the opening at the correct height as well as putting the adaptor at it's correct location from the dish, and perhaps get it rolling..
I will do this adaption of the adaptor first and then let you know how it works out...
Then I can always go after the more complex fixes such as you guys showed me at other links. Here's some photos below

Attachments

• IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 306
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)