Add New DVR in My System

Status
Please reply by conversation.

neil154

Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
DirectV is sending me out a new HD DVR since my present one is giving me problems sometimes. The old DVR (HR10-250) has a connection for an antennae which I am told the new one will probably not have. DirectV has said that they will leave the card for the old DVR as active.

1) can I use the old DVR until it goes completely bad and if yes can I just split the current incoming line.
2) If the above is no can I use it just for the over the air antenae The sytem I have already has 4 TVs

DirectV is sending me out a new HD DVR since my present one is giving me problems sometimes. The old DVR (HR10-250) has a connection for an antennae which I am told the new one will probably not have. DirectV has said that they will leave the card for the old DVR as active.

1) can I use the old DVR until it goes completely bad and if yes can I just split the current incoming line.
2) If the above is no can I use it just for the over the air antenae The sytem I have already has 4 TVs

If you leave the old one on till it dies, you will then have a addl. 5 fee for the extra recvr.
YES, you can continue to use it.
NO you cannot split the line, you'll need another run from the dish/multiswitch.

Chances are you will want to get upgraded to the slimline anyways so you can get all channels, if you don't have it already, have D* add line or make corrections.

Get an AM-21 from DirecTV, you can use it with your new receiver to receive OTA broadcasts. It connects to the HR receiver via USB and integrates the OTA into the guide much like your Tivo. Toss the Tivo in the trash...or sell it on ebay for parts.

Thanks for the advice, as it turns out DirectV sent me out a H20-100 which has a OTA input so I am in good shape.

Does anyone know how many GB the hard drive is for the HR20-100?

Does anyone know how many GB the hard drive is for the HR20-100?

The orginal's had 320GB drives, but some folks have reported if they got a refurb that had it's drive replaced it had a 500GB in it.

Thanks for the response on size. I was not allowed access to the "current Setup" even though I had a password.

Is there an easy way I can determine the size of the hard drive that DTV has installed in my bix?

Thanks for the response on size. I was not allowed access to the "current Setup" even though I had a password.

Is there an easy way I can determine the size of the hard drive that DTV has installed in my bix?

I believe the HD fro the HR20's was 300 gb, possibly 320 though.

You can always add an external to the set up, it would work strictly on the new EHD though, not combined.

The HR20-100 originally had the 320GB drive and the HR20-700 had the 300GB. However, it has been reported that refurbs have a 500GB drive.

And a little OT, but I have found that the AM21 tuner works a lot better than the integrated OTA tuner in the HR20.

The HR20-100 originally had the 320GB drive and the HR20-700 had the 300GB. However, it has been reported that refurbs have a 500GB drive.

And a little OT, but I have found that the AM21 tuner works a lot better than the integrated OTA tuner in the HR20.

Really, I've been avoiding the AM21 for quite awhile, always heard that it was not as good as the HR20-700 tuners .....

If it's true that the AM 21's are not sluggish and as good at picking up OTA channels, I might have to oft to update my H20 to a HR 21-23, would like the 24, but don't see that happening any time soon.

Well, the signal strengths shown on my HR23/AM21 are 20-25 points higher than on my HR20. What I have discovered is that tuning OTA channels with the AM21 is slower than the HR20. But, with more reliable reception, who cares?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)