Adding an RV receiver and dish to my account.

nogeek43

Original poster
Feb 10, 2020
Covington, LA
I purchased an HR22 receiver at a flea market and a friend gave me a slimline dish and brand new 3LNB.
I want to use this setup with my RV and for tailgating. What is the best hassle free way to get this turned
on by Directv? I am an existing customer with a wireless Genie system at home with DVR.

I purchased an HR22 receiver at a flea market and a friend gave me a slimline dish and brand new 3LNB.
I want to use this setup with my RV and for tailgating. What is the best hassle free way to get this turned
on by Directv? I am an existing customer with a wireless Genie system at home with DVR.
You could try setting it up and get video, then call in and see if they will activate it.

You really should have taken the numbers off the HR22 before buying and called D* to confirm that they will be able to activate it ...

If its a Leased unit that has been turned off and made its way there, they will not activate it ... if its a previously OWNED , they may.
You'd have to call.

:welcome to Satelliteguys nogeek43!
It's highly unlikely you can get DirecTV to authorize the HR22. They no longer do that for equipment they don't supply.

Last I heard, several years ago, DirecTV did not sell receivers. Ever. If they let you use that box, you'll probably have to pay a lease on it. And also pay for a programming package. Assuming the box even works... why did they get rid of it?

There was a scam, where people disconnect their receiver from the phone line, then "rent" movies. The rental never gets reported or billed, but the user gets the movie. Eventually, the receiver's buffer fills, and no more movies can be rented without flushing the buffer (and being billed for the movies). If you register your used receiver, you may get billed for a bunch of movies you've never ordered... but the previous owner DID.

Last I heard, several years ago, DirecTV did not sell receivers. Ever. If they let you use that box, you'll probably have to pay a lease on it. And also pay for a programming package. Assuming the box even works... why did they get rid of it?

There was a scam, where people disconnect their receiver from the phone line, then "rent" movies. The rental never gets reported or billed, but the user gets the movie. Eventually, the receiver's buffer fills, and no more movies can be rented without flushing the buffer (and being billed for the movies). If you register your used receiver, you may get billed for a bunch of movies you've never ordered... but the previous owner DID.

Unlikly, because if they did activate it they would send a new access card for it. I don't think they ever activated used access cards. I'd tell them it did not come with one to ensure getting a new one.

Reactions: Jimbo

Chances are, its one that some one turned off and D* didn't want back ...
It got sold that way, to someone that doesn't know any better .... I would bet that that happens often, now that D* doesn't ask for them all back any longer.

Thanks for all the replies. I called Directv and they checked the model, serial no. and receiver ID and activated the receiver.
Now I am waiting for a new reflector for my dish from Solid Signal since the old one won't get a lock on any satellite.

Reactions: Jimbo
Good for you, I'm surprised they activated it. Maybe there has been a change in policy towards leased receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)