Adding ViP722

azbruno

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
SF Bay Area
I currently do not have HD, and I use a model 625 DVR receiver for 2 TVs. My plan is to upgrade in the near future to HD (when I get a couple new TVs).

Today I was given a ViP722 DVR receiver. My question is... what can I do with it, now and in the future?

Is it at all operational without changing anything on my Dish account? I would like to find out if it even works well, although it's claimed to.

Can I install it at the second TV, leaving the 625 on the TV1.

I was thinking when upgrading to HD that I would use a 722 at each TV, so I could have HD on the second set. If I did that, could I split connections so that both receivers could access both TVs... to allow me to watch recorded shows on either TV without regard to which TV they were recorded on (realizing that TV2 would not be HD).

Thanks.
-Bruno

Did you person who gave it to you OWN it? On the back of the receiver, on a white sticker is a ROO #. Write it down and call Dish to see if it is free and clear of any lease charges.
If OK, you would need to call and have it activated to see if it is working correctly. RIGHT NOW, you will only be able to receive SD channels. To get HD, you would need to have Dish come out and install a new Dish that will get the HD Sat. You must have a line direct from Sat to receiver. You can NOT split the line to two receivers. Another would would have to be installed for a second receiver.

The person who had it said that Dish did not want it back and she was considering tossing it. If I understand you correctly though, I could not hook it up to my line now to see it work but that it would have to be activated by Dish first. Do they charge for that? Would it incur additional one-time and/or recurring charges? I realize that I would only receive SD at this time. If there's a cost, I'll just wait until I upgrade to HD. I didn't realize the HD would require a new dish, but that's file. It means a service installer would be here.

When you say another line would have to be installed for the second receiver, do you mean a separate line from the dish into the house? On my 625, there's one line split to two inputs so I was wondering if that could be split again.

Thanks.

If it was not owned, it seems very strange that DISH would not want a 722 back. They do not want some of the older receivers back, but the 722 is one of the best workhorses in their fleet right now.

The person who had it said that Dish did not want it back and she was considering tossing it. If I understand you correctly though, I could not hook it up to my line now to see it work but that it would have to be activated by Dish first. Do they charge for that? Would it incur additional one-time and/or recurring charges? I realize that I would only receive SD at this time. If there's a cost, I'll just wait until I upgrade to HD. I didn't realize the HD would require a new dish, but that's file. It means a service installer would be here.

When you say another line would have to be installed for the second receiver, do you mean a separate line from the dish into the house? On my 625, there's one line split to two inputs so I was wondering if that could be split again.

Thanks.

you would have a new monthly fee of some sort
whether they hit you for a duo dvr for the 722, or consider that your primary and hit you for the other one im not sure

Thanks.
What's on the back of your 625 is NOT a splitter, rather a seperator to feed sat signal to each of the two tuners. Yes, you MUST run another line direct from the Sat to a second receiver. If the receiver does not work, just call immediately to deactivate it. No charge for activation.

you would have a new monthly fee of some sort
whether they hit you for a duo dvr for the 722, or consider that your primary and hit you for the other one im not sure

Not if the 722 is replacing the 625.

Did you person who gave it to you OWN it? On the back of the receiver, on a white sticker is a ROO #. Write it down and call Dish to see if it is free and clear of any lease charges.
If OK, you would need to call and have it activated to see if it is working correctly. RIGHT NOW, you will only be able to receive SD channels. To get HD, you would need to have Dish come out and install a new Dish that will get the HD Sat. You must have a line direct from Sat to receiver. You can NOT split the line to two receivers. Another would would have to be installed for a second receiver.

I agree with everything KAB said.

To the OP: if you send the receiver number for the 722, as well as your account number or phone number in a PM, I can tell you if it's eligible for transfer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts