Additional MPEG4 / Detroit Info

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I believe that the 2 year commitment is the policy now for all "advanced" equipment, which includes HD STB's, HD DVR's and SD DVR's-my guess is that goes for equipment swaps or new purchases.

I don't know how much information is available on this, but can the installer install 2 of the new dishes? I need 5 feeds and it appears that only 4 are available from the dish to the receivers.

I'm not sure if this means anything, but here in Philly I noticed I have a lot of extra off-air DT channels that I didn't have last week. They're from Delaware and there is a lot of additional stations added. I'm not able to get the signal, but they are listed as "off air channels" in my listings. Coincidence??? :confused:

Hi Guy's

I have 2 H-10s currently, when I signed up one was in the Home Theatere room and the other in the bedroom,

I went out and bought a 2nd dish and now use it and my 2nd H-10 on my camper, in trailor park, not at home.

When D* does the Mpeg 4 upgrade , (I know it will be quite a while , # 70 )
Can I ask them for a 2nd dish, cause the rec. is not here, or will they give me trouble because the rec. is not here ? (I will install)
Will they GIVE me a 2nd dish seeing I have 2 H-10's.

Or do I keep quiet and ask the installer ?

Jimbo

Scott, have you heard, will D* take your existing MPEG2 HD STB when they do this change or do you keep it?

I would think since LA and NY already have Mpeg2 HD feeds up, these markets will be last to get Mpeg4 upgrade. Why go to the extra expense upgrading the #1 and #2 market in the country when they are already getting HD lil?

OK, so I'm confused. I see folks post that they can go and purchase a new box for $200 and $49 install of new dish/switch and get a $200 rebate from D*. So what am I missing here? If I buy a new and get a rebate to make it free why not pay the $49 and get to keep the existing box?

Tonedeaf said:
They will take it.

Read HERE

ATSC tuners will be worth something. I'm keeping my standalone DTC-100 which I paid for. They definitely won't be taking my 2nd DTC-100 (inside my F38310)! I'm sure I'll be able to work something out with D* regarding this.

Don

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes at some point (They will be doing a lot of shuffling once there is more MPEG4 online) and you will see the additional locals down the line in the future.

For now the goal is the get the 4 big networks up and running in each area.

So if we're in the NY DMA and already get the big 4 from D* and have an HD TIVO, there's no compelling reason to do this swap anytime soon. All that will change is that we won't be able to record HD. We're not gaining any channels at all, not even locally (UPN, WB or FSN,MSG). Not trying to be a glass half -empty guy, but until they get the HD DVR out, I'll stick with the way it is.

Upgrade is not free in Detroit

I currently have 2 HD Directv boxes.I called Directv customer service and they new nothing about MPEG4.Finally they sent me to installation and I was disconnected after being on hold for 45 minutes.
I called back and had to explain the upgrade to the CSR.
I was told they would only swap out 1 box with a 2 year commitment. :mad:

Upgrade is not free in Detroit... I was told they would only swap out 1 box with a 2 year commitment.

I don't remember any official DirecTV announcement saying any swap would be 100% free. I have read $49.95 with a new 2yr commitment and ONE box only, about 1000 times.

The $49 fee is only if you buy yourself from a B&M store. Scott mentioned in the link I provided above that a swap from D* would be at no charge with a 2 year commit.

Good point about keeping the box and getting from a B&M store.

The point is I have 2 HD Receivers so according to Directv it will cost me an addl. $200.00 to upgrade the 2nd receiver to enjoy the service I already pay for...
I don't think so!
I will just continue to enjoy ATSC locals free over the air.

pcpopcorn said:
The point is I have 2 HD Receivers so according to Directv it will cost me an addl. $200.00 to upgrade the 2nd receiver to enjoy the service I already pay for...
I don't think so!
I will just continue to enjoy ATSC locals free over the air.
Couldn't you just let D* upgrade one and then buy one with the $200 rebate on it? Won't need any install at that point.

Tonedeaf said:
Couldn't you just let D* upgrade one and then buy one with the $200 rebate on it? Won't need any install at that point.

That is if the rebate goes through on the 2nd one. Hopefully D* will be consistent in their policy from DMA to DMA. Actually, it will be interesting to see if D* clarifies their MPEG 4 upgrade policies after this Detroit beta test and actually trains their CSR's to disseminate accurate information.

Don

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)