Additional MPEG4 / Detroit Info

Status
Please reply by conversation.
mulesqb said:
So if we're in the NY DMA and already get the big 4 from D* and have an HD TIVO, there's no compelling reason to do this swap anytime soon. All that will change is that we won't be able to record HD. We're not gaining any channels at all, not even locally (UPN, WB or FSN,MSG). Not trying to be a glass half -empty guy, but until they get the HD DVR out, I'll stick with the way it is.

Why wouldn't you be able to record in HD? If the NY HD channels are still in MPEG-2 for the forseeable future, your HD-TIVO should be fine? Right? The only issue I can see is if they add some national HD channels which should theoretically be MPEG-4, you wouldn't be able to record these with the current HD-TIVO.

rad said:
OK, so I'm confused. I see folks post that they can go and purchase a new box for $200 and $49 install of new dish/switch and get a $200 rebate from D*. So what am I missing here? If I buy a new and get a rebate to make it free why not pay the $49 and get to keep the existing box?

When I called D* the other day, they informed they "were not ready to do the swap out program", but would sell me the receiver for essentially $200 with a $200 rebate once its activated. Of course, your mileage may vary as it seems you get one story from one CSR and a different story if you call back. I opted to buy the receiver from them. I will put my H10 up for sale cheap once the H20 is online this weekend.

I'm not a fan at all of the D* rebate program. 10 weeks and 2 rebate forms later I'm still without my DVR rebate. :mad:

gkurcon said:
Why wouldn't you be able to record in HD? If the NY HD channels are still in MPEG-2 for the forseeable future, your HD-TIVO should be fine? Right? The only issue I can see is if they add some national HD channels which should theoretically be MPEG-4, you wouldn't be able to record these with the current HD-TIVO.

I think what mulesqb means is that, for those of us in the NY DMA (or LA for that matter), since D* currently does not have an MPEG4 HD DVR, it does not make sense to swap out the HD Tivo for the H20 MPEG4 STB and lose our HD recording ability. There is no incentive since we already get the Big 4 via MPEG2 and the transition to MPEG4 does not look like it will get us any new channels in the short term.

I currently am planning to hold on to my HD Tivo until the MPEG4 HD DVR comes out and D* gives me a reason to change by using MPEG4 to add the other networks in the NY DMA, improve the somewhat soft picture quality of the current Big 4 or add new national HD channels. Of course, they could force the issue by turning off the MPEG2 stream, but it sounds like that won't happne for a couple of years. Until then, I sit tight.

I live in D-town and just orderered the swap out. Took about 10 calls before I found a CSR who knew what I was talking about. The swap, including the install of the new dish and up to 5 boxes is free to existing DTV subs with a 2 year commitment. I called on 10-20-05 and the CSR said she would have to hand place the order because the right screens are not available on their computers yet. I should get a appointment call w/in 72 hours.

hello i been reading your forum i work for a vendor call center that take directv calls so i sort of work for directv. Well that not the reason i am posting here i like to read your forum because some of info so close to what happening. Directv never tells us what their doing so thought i since your forum give me better insite what happin i share some info that was give to us today about hd meg4 sorry i can't copy and paste info but i will type it out

hd locals swap equipment offer

$0 Offer - H20 receiver + 5-LNB dish extisting customer only 2 year commit on all ird that hd up to 5

$89 Offer - H20 + 5-LNB dish + off-air antenna extisting customer only 2 year commit on all ird that hd up to 5

$0 Offer - 5-LNB dish extisting customer dish only 1 year commit

$89 Offer - 5-LNB dish + off-air antenna dish and ant only 1 year commit

may change after today only to market with hd locals

poz235 said:
I live in D-town and just orderered the swap out. Took about 10 calls before I found a CSR who knew what I was talking about. The swap, including the install of the new dish and up to 5 boxes is free to existing DTV subs with a 2 year commitment. I called on 10-20-05 and the CSR said she would have to hand place the order because the right screens are not available on their computers yet. I should get a appointment call w/in 72 hours.

I'm pretty sure that's why no less than 4 separate threads said they would call you when they're ready.

H

monetnj said:
I think what mulesqb means is that, for those of us in the NY DMA (or LA for that matter), since D* currently does not have an MPEG4 HD DVR, it does not make sense to swap out the HD Tivo for the H20 MPEG4 STB and lose our HD recording ability. There is no incentive since we already get the Big 4 via MPEG2 and the transition to MPEG4 does not look like it will get us any new channels in the short term.

I currently am planning to hold on to my HD Tivo until the MPEG4 HD DVR comes out and D* gives me a reason to change by using MPEG4 to add the other networks in the NY DMA, improving the somewhat soft picture quality of the current Big 4 or adding new national HD channels. Of course, they could force the issue by turning off the MPEG2 stream, but it sounds like that won't happne for a couple of years. Until then, I sit tight.

Thanks monetnj - you did a better job of explaining than I did. I totally agree with your plan, I'm not budging until the HD DVR comes out. The HD Tivo has enabled me to watch so much more TV. I can't imagine not having it now. I hope the HD DVR is just as good.

Hogarth said:
I'm pretty sure that's why no less than 4 separate threads said they would call you when they're ready.

H

No kidding. If I talk to anyone like that asking about the HD upgrade I'm going to play stupid on purpose.

No diplexing? Currently, I diplex my cable modem on 1 of my lines. Is it true that diplexing will go away? If so, that means no TV in the office.

Getting the install, as we speak, dam that is one big dish, pictures on the web dont give that thing justice!!! (ha, ha)

Take this for what its worth, the instalers have said the reciver, does not give the tru singnal strength....they use a meter outside,

satjay said:
Getting the install, as we speak, dam that is one big dish, pictures on the web dont give that thing justice!!! (ha, ha)

Take this for what its worth, the instalers have said the reciver, does not give the tru singnal strength....they use a meter outside,

Can you measure it for us, so we finally know for sure from someone that acually has it ?

Height and width would be great.
From what I had read off a website (retailor) it was going to ba 25.5" x 29" ...
Is that at all close ?

Jimbo

These are the specs that are listed on a website selling the dish... It's big. The arm extends almost 2ft from the dish!

• To be used to pick up high definition local channel programming from DIRECTV
• Four outputs carrying satellite signal from all Five satellites in the sky
• Heavy duty j-mount with 2" outer diameter mast opening
• Must use H20 satellite receiver to watch local channel HD programming (where available)
• Capable of receiving DIRECTV satellite signals on the Ku band (101°, 110°, 119°) and Ka band (99°, 103°)
• Dish surface area dimensions: 25.5" (h) x 29.5" (W)
• LNB arm with LNBS attached extends 23.5" from the dish surface area
• Weight: 32 lbs (including J-mount mast, dish surface, LNBs, arm and pole attachment)

Third Time A Charm?

Well Tomorrow our local sat comapany will be coming back for the third time to adjust my local signal. Today when they came they said it was a bad multiswitch that was casuing my locals to not come in. The tech said you dont even need a mutiswitch becouse we only have two TV's..

Anyways as they were leaving one local(fox channel 2 in detroit) was coming in and out and the tech said that was the station not the dish..After going back and forth he left, I called directv and yes the signal is week on that channel so tomorrow will be the third time we try to get all locals in NBC, ABC in...Fox pixiing. Hopefully tomorrow we will finally be set....Beware to those who want to jump in and get locals without OTA...

No update yet. After waiting from 12-4:30 yesterday, I called microtech and they informed me they would not be over untill 6, had to cancel. (I wasted my day already. We will try again on monday night

I'm sorry to hear about your problems getting set up Satjay. It is unfortunate that the only game in town is Michigan Microtech, it certainly appears that they know they are the only choice.

I had my install through Michigan Microtech last Saturday, I wasn't at all impressed with the installer, but fortunately everything is working for me. As I'm sure that you know from this forum, the HD Detroit locals are up and running fine (2, 4, 7, & 62), the fact that they can't dial them in just shows their ineptitude.

I know that since Detroit is the beta test market, that there will be growing pains. Maybee I'm too critical.

satjay said:
No update yet. After waiting from 12-4:30 yesterday, I called microtech and they informed me they would not be over untill 6, had to cancel. (I wasted my day already. We will try again on monday night

If it makes you feel any better you are not missing out on the Lions game. They have a message up saying they are having technical difficulties on WJBK...so irritating...

br16 said:
I'm sorry to hear about your problems getting set up Satjay. It is unfortunate that the only game in town is Michigan Microtech, it certainly appears that they know they are the only choice.

I had my install through Michigan Microtech last Saturday, I wasn't at all impressed with the installer, but fortunately everything is working for me. As I'm sure that you know from this forum, the HD Detroit locals are up and running fine (2, 4, 7, & 62), the fact that they can't dial them in just shows their ineptitude.

I know that since Detroit is the beta test market, that there will be growing pains. Maybee I'm too critical.

Have you lined up a dish like that?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts