Additional MPEG4 / Detroit Info

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My local HD's are now out too. I haven't been watching for the past couple of days so I'm not sure when we lost them. Does anybody know for sure if the receiver can detect how the dish is positioned? The reason why I ask it that when everything was working correctly the Signal Strength screen listed a position at Azimuth: 223, Eleviation:34, and Tilt:64. Now with major pixielization and signal strength far lower for certain sats. the position is listed at Azimuth:89, Elevation:3, and Tilt at 25.

My HD locals are back up and running again. It turns out that the original install tech didn't tighten up the screws on the "side" lnbs beyond finger tight. (reference my earlier posts on the installers ineptitude)

We are once again having 40 MPH winds and everything is working good (knock on wood). :up

mkottman said:
My local HD's are now out too. I haven't been watching for the past couple of days so I'm not sure when we lost them. Does anybody know for sure if the receiver can detect how the dish is positioned? The reason why I ask it that when everything was working correctly the Signal Strength screen listed a position at Azimuth: 223, Eleviation:34, and Tilt:64. Now with major pixielization and signal strength far lower for certain sats. the position is listed at Azimuth:89, Elevation:3, and Tilt at 25.

If you put in the correct Zip Code, the Azimuth, Elevation, and Tilt will always remain the same and will never change...

br16 said:
My HD locals are back up and running again. It turns out that the original install tech didn't tighten up the screws on the "side" lnbs beyond finger tight. (reference my earlier posts on the installers ineptitude)

We are once again having 40 MPH winds and everything is working good (knock on wood). :up

Did you actually get out in 40 MPH winds, and check out the fasteners on your dish???

mkottman said:
No, it can't. The azimuth, elevation and tilt figures are related to the zip code you enter in during guided setup. The azimuth is the compass direction that the dish needs to point to see either the 101 satellite (for a round dish) or the 110 sat (for an oval dish, as the 110 is in the center of the D* satellite spread.) North is 0, South is 180, so your az reading of 89 would have you pointed due east. The elevation is the vertical angle you need to set your dish on to see the satellite(s). As the satellites are over the equator, an elevation of 2 degrees would put you approximately somewhere above the Arctic Circle. IOW, those numbers are bogus, and I don't know where they came from.

Boy, the dish cant even go below about 20 degrees elevation or 45 degrees tilt. The 5 lnb dish is centered on the 101 satellite so the triple lnb dish pointing data will be incorrect. Could the poster with the 3 degree look angle info please let us know what the elevation, azimuth and tilt says when they punch in their zip code for the 5 lnb dish?
Bob

The New dish is quite sensitive, we got our first 1/2 inch of snow tonight, and I had to sweep it off the dish. We lost signal!!!

satjay said:
The New dish is quite sensitive, we got our first 1/2 inch of snow tonight, and I had to sweep it off the dish. We lost signal!!!

Satjay,

You are right! At about 11pm tonight, I totally lost my signal (some snow stuck to my new dish). I just called D* to have a tach come out and peak my disk, My signal strengh is around 50-60. NOT GOOD!!!!!!! :mad:

Mine lasted until about 11:15 for the nationals and 11:30 for the Detroit local. Alignment wouldn't help me since I had signals in the 80 & 90 normally. The good news is the new satellite lasted longer than the old ones.
Just went out for a look. It is really a light coating of snow. This doesn't look good. Someone better develop a cover for this dish.

Bob,
Your question is impossible to answer unless you had both dishes side by side because it is impossible to measure the rain or snow conditions in a quantitative manner on a past install and bring the data forward for comparison.
I did have an old 3 lnb dish install that was subject to rain and snow fade under certain conditions. I can't say if the conditions that caused this fade were more or less severe than what I had seen in the past.
I was encouraged by the fact that the Ka channels worked longer than the Ku but it wasn't a huge difference. I also don't know if this snow problem is a true predicter of rain fade.

water1 said:
Mine lasted until about 11:15 for the nationals and 11:30 for the Detroit local. Alignment wouldn't help me since I had signals in the 80 & 90 normally. The good news is the new satellite lasted longer than the old ones.
Just went out for a look. It is really a light coating of snow. This doesn't look good. Someone better develop a cover for this dish.

There are several companies on the Web, that will put together a cover for your dish, but don't you folks in the "Snow Belt" use the heaters that are already available???

It really isn't that common a problem. I can't remember it being an issue even once a season. I rarely see dishes with covers or heaters even in Northern Michigan. If you are in the upper peninsula you may need a tall pole if you are using a ground mount. You need specific conditions such as a wind driven wet snow that will stick to the dish.

Well I guess what somewhat concerns me is that we were losing picture with a literal dusting of snow. But I guess thats the price you pay to get upgrades. The good thing is my dish is mounted right over my garage and its "broom" accessible with a lader.

Mpeg 4 seems to respond very very slowly with guide info..
I have 3 H-20s now and I can not stand how slow it is.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts