Adjusting Dish Elevation Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjc3895

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
I now have IA6 tuned in. I don't have a motor yet. If I want to move the dish to another satellite, do I leave the elevation alone and just adjust my dish to my new azimuth settings?

rjc3895 said:
I now have IA6 tuned in. I don't have a motor yet. If I want to move the dish to another satellite, do I leave the elevation alone and just adjust my dish to my new azimuth settings?
In short, no, from any one location the elevations will be different for each satellite. However if you're not moving very far (like to the satellite 'next door') you may not need to touch the elevation. But of course if you do, you would most likely improve your signal from the newly pointed sat.

YES, for a few satellites to the east and west you will get away without moving the elevation, but the further you go in each direction you would have to adjust your elevation!

Depending on how far away from each satellite he is

Here in MN, IA5, G3, IA6, G11 are all around the same elevation because IA 6 is our true south.

But someone who has G10 as their south, they wuld need to move the elevation every time.

Thats why a motor is a great investment. I've seen some that are pretty inexpensive (around 100 bucks)

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about getting a motor to do the moving for me. Any suggestions for a motor to be used on a Fortec Star 80cm dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)