Adventures in Dish Hunting 2009

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Primestars!

I drug home a 10' Winegard for parts a couple of days ago. It looks like the guy hit it with his excavator! :( When we were loading it up on to my pickup I noticed a Primestar in the weeds and the owner said "Take it". It is the oval dish about 29.5" tall and about 40" wide and is in excellent shape. It is Channel Master and says part #3040865 on the back and it does not have support arms. The sad part about this story is a 7.5' Winegard that got scrapped! :eek: I talked to the guy last fall and he was still using the 7.5' and said I could have the 10' parts dish someday. I noticed the 7.5' was missing and that is when I stopped in. He said that they decided to stop using it and someone stopped in and took it for scrap! :eek: He has no idea why he let them scrap the good BUD and left the "junker"! :confused:

TODAY I was venturing in nearby Ohio and found 3 more Primestars within 12 miles of each other! :D These look like the oval one I picked up at the neighbors. I stopped in and did not have much luck. The one house had vehicles there but no one answered the door and the other 2 places are abandoned. I talked to neighbors of these abandoned places and they have no idea who owns the places which have been vacant for quite a few years. :( Now how should I go about getting these 2 abandoned dishes???... :confused:

The one is in a run down town of maybe 20 houses! Maybe I should check to see if the whole town is a ghost town! ;)

I will not remove anything until I get permission.

The one is in a run down town of maybe 20 houses! Maybe I should check to see if the whole town is a ghost town! ;)

I will not remove anything until I get permission.

An honest man. It doesn't matter if anyone would miss it or not, someone owns the property and anything on it, trash or treasure.

Returning home from Houston (via Waco) - Hwy 31 just West of Corsicana, TX I spotted a perforated Birdview on the north side. Looked like it was still in use from the hiway. Right next to a small, tan, metal shop building.
Anyone reading this know anything about this dish or live close by?
If I had time and was able I would have stopped to ask...

" Via Waco " That some detour...
I would check on it for you but I am in the Houston area and, I am not headed to Mississippi any time soon. LOL .......

I found the location on Google Maps street view... if this link works...
[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=6090+TX-31,+Corsicana,+TX&sll=32.042659,-96.540878&sspn=0.003138,0.010943&ie=UTF8&ll=32.042686,-96.540889&spn=0.003138,0.010943&t=h&z=17&iwloc=A&layer=c&cbll=32.042662,-96.540882&panoid=9-DpyhPjOjrVteUUIbpOtw&cbp=11,338.02,,0,5"]6090 TX-31, Corsicana, TX - Google Maps[/ame]

five star dish farm:

Here's my new dish farm... :D
.... okay, maybe not mine, but one I'd like to mine! :)

It's just off the freeway, behind some apartments.
First, there is the long shot from the front, establishing the surroundings.
Next, a close-up from the front.
Wide shot from the back, showing the freeway out ahead of the dishes.
Close-up of the back side.

Some of the dishes have multiple LNBs.
Next time I'm in the area, I'll try for better pictures, but it is a very difficult place to approach, and my camera doesn't have telephoto.

A cable head-end? Steel dishes in panels, bolted together?
They're not motorized, in spite of how it may look.
Comments, suggestions, or clues?
They seem to be painted to blend in with the buildings.

All pictures have been cropped and re-compressed to use less forum storage and take you less download time, from what the camera originally saved.

Attachments

• PICT4539wideshot.jpg
    PICT4539wideshot.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 217
  • PICT4541tightfront.jpg
    PICT4541tightfront.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 288
  • PICT4545wideback.jpg
    PICT4545wideback.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 219
  • PICT4546tightback.jpg
    PICT4546tightback.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 218
A cable head-end? Steel dishes in panels, bolted together?
They're not motorized, in spite of how it may look.
Comments, suggestions, or clues?
They seem to be painted to blend in with the buildings.

All pictures have been cropped and re-compressed to use less forum storage and take you less download time, from what the camera originally saved.
It could be a cable headend...but protected by razor wire????

Here's my new dish farm... :D
.... okay, maybe not mine, but one I'd like to mine! :)

I like how they have razor wire around everything and yet the fence door can easily be broken up with a bolt cutter. Also, the wire is the type easily beaten by a thick blanket.

They would've been better off just building a three story outhouse and sticking the dishes on top.

facepalm.jpg

One thing leads to another...

Original thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...177466-caught-2-10-footers-yesterday-ids.html

Went to get a DSR-922 for $99, free BUD with purchase.

So I got my first mesh BUD, a 10 footer.
As my father and I are getting ready to take off, the former owner remarks about he knows of a guy with another 10 footer "ready to give it away for free" And whaddya know it's on the way home... ;) :D

We stop by and lo and behold- a pristine KTI 10.5 footer. 12 feet in the air :eek:
(sorry no pic., by the time I remembered it was too late :eek: :()

The guy wanted $50 "you-pull-it" (my word choice)
Hmm, like the dish but not with that much risk. ;) :rolleyes:

So they guy takes us back to convince us it's worth $50 by showing us the receiver. Uniden UST-9900. Analog and VCII. Not impressed.
I tell him such. the price drops to $25 :cool:

SOLD

2 BUD's and a DSR-922. Not bad for a day!

EDIT: No primestars but the first area used 24 inch molded dishes for Wireless internet

Last edited:
Found a 8 foot unimesh at a church that had been blown down during Ike. Talked to the pastor and he said I could have it. Got a friend to go with me to look at it to see what we needed to get home and when we got there we just threw it in back of his truck and brought it to his shop to save what parts we could. After looking at it I think we can fix it has some panels blown out of it but they are all there. One piece is riped so I will need to replace it. Has some small holes in it but not two bad to hurt the signal I think. Did not have my camera with me but will take some pic's tomorrow when I go over to look it over some more. It has a superjackII + HD acuator on it looks to be 18 inches will have to see if it works. I have a GBox 3000 already so that will help.
Would I have to hook the Gbox to see if works or is there another way ?

I don’t mean to change the topic, but would the aluminum siding wall behind an offset dish has any effect on signal quality? Thanks

It is a 7.5 not 8 foot

Well here are the pic's of the unimesh. I was thinking I would change out the actator for 24" one I think the one it is 18".

edit: thanks phlatwound I will try that.

Attachments

• 100_3169.JPG
    100_3169.JPG
    570.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 100_3168.JPG
    100_3168.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 115
  • 100_3167.JPG
    100_3167.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 130
  • 100_3166.JPG
    100_3166.JPG
    959.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_3165.JPG
    100_3165.JPG
    981 KB · Views: 141
Channel Mater Dish Finds

Hi everyone I just though I would post some pics of some primestar/channel master dishs that I have got recently.
The first dish is a primestar dish that I rescued last week and changed out the Lnb with a huges singe out put type.
The secound is a 1 meter monster that now also has the huges lnb I got a about 9 months back but never posted pics of before.
and last but not least is a dish that I got today It is a channel master 75E that was used by cable customers for the hits 2 home service that was on 99 W ku band.

Attachments

• Channel Master Dish Finds 001.jpg
    Channel Master Dish Finds 001.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Channel Master Dish Finds 002.jpg
    Channel Master Dish Finds 002.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Channel Master Dish Finds 003.jpg
    Channel Master Dish Finds 003.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Channel Master Dish Finds 004.jpg
    Channel Master Dish Finds 004.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Channel Master Dish Finds 005.jpg
    Channel Master Dish Finds 005.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Channel Master Dish Finds 006.jpg
    Channel Master Dish Finds 006.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 111
Nice lonewolf. I discovered a stripped lot yest, where a nice old 2story house stood the week before (with a 84E in the corner of the yard). Church next door apparently decided they needed to buy the tiny corner lot and make a parking lot out of it. House gone-dish gone! If you snooze-you lose,hehe. Well, I already have 2 of them, if it had been a 1m dish I would've been knocking on doors before it got taken away.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)