Advice for a do-it-yourself from scratch Dish Network setup?

There are few self installs because it is cheaper in nearly all cases to go the promotion route with free equipment and installs and lower package pricing. Even if one terminates early, one at least breaks even after the first year. After the second year, there is no commitment to worry about and you saved a bunch of bucks over the two-year commitment period. Comparison over the first year.

DIY
Antenna/LNB 85
new 211k receiver 110
installation 95
increased cost of package AT120 ($15 x 12 mo) 180
loss of DishStore rebate (less handling fee of 16) 109
Total out of pocket 579

You could probably resell the 211k for $80 and the antenna/LNB for $50, so net $450.

The results for DIY are even worse for AT200 and AT250 ($20 per month savings) under promotions.

Lease from Dish 24 month commitment
antenna/LNB 0
installation 0
receiver 0
early termination fee (12 mo x $17.50) 210
return shipping of receiver/LNB 30
Total out of pocket 240

I think all the costs are there. Someone will point out obvious errors I imagine.

Cable, connectors, tools if you don't already own them, diplexers/ground block...there is another ~$75

I will never understand permanent self installs.

I would prefer to get a professional install if I can find one. The reason I want to own my own hardware and not have a contract is that I might want to go with an HBO only subscription. I have heard this is possible. I doubt I would qualify for any promotions with that and in the long run I would save lots of money if I avoid paying for a package only to watch HBO. Can anyone comment on this? Is this still possible?

On a separate note, I find it hard to believe that any television provider could survive by charging extra for HD. Don't most people have have HDTVs these days? Won't everything be in HD soon? Isn't charging extra for HD sort of like the phone companies of old charging extra for touch-tone service?

I do appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice.

Everyone is required to have a core package on the account. The lowest you'll be able to go is the Welcome Pack with locals ($14.99), then you would have to add HBO to that. So you wouldn't be able to have HBO, and just HBO.

Everyone is required to have a core package on the account. The lowest you'll be able to go is the Welcome Pack with locals ($14.99), then you would have to add HBO to that. So you wouldn't be able to have HBO, and just HBO.

Was reading that this is one of the reasons that HBO may be the next Blockbuster. No way for them to just sell through w/o having the provider to force them to have a core package.

There aren't many self installs these days. Without the commitment your programming will be $15 - $20 more per month the 1st year if you DIY. The early termination fee for a commitment with the discounted programming costs is $17.50 per month. Your savings for the first year with AT200 would be $240 with the commitment and the cost to terminate after the first year would be $210 (12mo x $17.50). For AT120 the programming costs saved would be $180 with the same $210 termination fee after the first year. Add in the cost of purchasing an antenna, LNB, cable, or paying for installation makes DIY even more unattractive economically.

DIY AT120
Antenna/LNB $85
Installation 95
211k receiver, new 120
Programming 12 x $45 540
subtotal 840
Resale value antenna/LNB (75) and receiver (80) 155
Total w/termination after 12 months 685

AT 120 with 24 month Commitment
antenna/LNB 0
installation 0
211k receiver 0
programming (12 x $30) 360
early termination fee (12 mo x $17.50) 210
shipping cost for return of rec./LNB) 30
subtotal 600
less Dishstore rebate less handling 109
Total w/term after 12 mo. 491

The numbers are worse for DIY by $60 for both the AT200 and AT250 packages based on current promotions. I didn't consider the HD for Life promotion as that will weight heavily toward the 24 month commitment and make DIY even less economically advantageous.

I hope someone will point out any errors they find. I saw your HBO only requirement a bit late.

I think you might be happier with a 722 series. The 211 has only 1 sat tuner, so you cannot watch a Dish feed and record a 2nd Dish feed, only an OTA with the EHD. The 722 series would let you hook up a 2nd TV. With the 722 you can record 2 Dish Channels and 1 OTA with the 722 and 2 ota with the k. Also, there is no charge for the ehd with a 722 Not sure if Ithaca is Binghamtom , Syracuse or Elmira DMA. The 211 sereies is good as a secondary receiver for a 3rd TV. I have mine in my computer room. Up here in Marion, I receive both Syracuse and Rochester ota, with my roof top antenna and a booster as get Rochester as my DMA. As others have said, your better off having Dish install and go with the 2 year. There are some inexpensive packages. I'm leased with no service plan. I just replaced my 722 due to over heating and it just cost me $15 for shipping. As long as you sign up for paperless billing you get the HD for life. You'll find there is much more variety with a package than with HBO only.

seank said:
I would prefer to get a professional install if I can find one. The reason I want to own my own hardware and not have a contract is that I might want to go with an HBO only subscription. I have heard this is possible. I doubt I would qualify for any promotions with that and in the long run I would save lots of money if I avoid paying for a package only to watch HBO. Can anyone comment on this? Is this still possible?

On a separate note, I find it hard to believe that any television provider could survive by charging extra for HD. Don't most people have have HDTVs these days? Won't everything be in HD soon? Isn't charging extra for HD sort of like the phone companies of old charging extra for touch-tone service?

I do appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice.

All of the companies are and can charge for hd channels. My parents pay extra for the hd rcvr and hd programming. I pay extra for my dish locals when I can get them free over the air, in fact I do.

Call dish, set up a install, get in a contract. In 2 years you will be on your own.

I thought you could just have HBO, but then they charge you $9/month no core package fee.

The welcome pack is a good deal since for $6 more (15 vs 9) you at least get channels for your $15 rather than nothing for $9.

The other advantage is that you can "exist" in an area not served by Dish (i.e. Canada or Mexico close to the border). There are several reasons people like/need to do their own install.

Yeah I have been looking into this and the Welcome pack is just about the only one worth installing yourself if you're buying used equipment. There are some people who just don't want or trust an installer in their home and would rather do it themselves. I know people who are collectors and would rather pay extra to avoid a stranger eyeballing their stuff.

... if you're buying used equipment.

I didn't see this mentioned previously so will get it out now just in case for the OP or anyone else that's unaware. If you're gonna purchase used equipment, always call in and make sure the receiver can be used (Or contact one of us here and we can check). Some people do try to sell leased equipment, or purchased equipment but the account has a balance on it, or even equipment that is still active on the account sometimes.

Nothing worse than purchasing a receiver and not being able to use it.

I'm on the fence myself about a self install. In my case, no one else is going to do a more professional job than I will. For me it's making the change from C band.

I'm an old c-bander myself, but I would not attempt to install a system today. I did my own install back when the only receivers were the 1000 and the 2000. That tells you how long I've been with Dish. Using a Dish installer last summer was a breeze. He came, installed my 1k4 dish in a totally different place than my 500 system was located. He had all the connectors and other hardware needed and the install was completed quickly.
My question to anyone who wants to do a self install is do you have all the hardware to do an install or are you going to have to call Dish in the end and wind up paying more than if you had Dish do the install/upgrade in the first place.

dwarren2 said:
My question to anyone who wants to do a self install is do you have all the hardware to do an install or are you going to have to call Dish in the end and wind up paying more than if you had Dish do the install/upgrade in the first place.

Dish used to sell a self-install kit for $20, I'm not sure if they still do. That's was only for a pole or wall mount, though. But a tripod mount can easily be found cheap now. I really don't think hardware is the issue. I think it's a matter of the amount of time that will need to be invested.

Tripods are no longer authorized mounts. So you buy that mount, attempt an install and if I fails the tech will come out and get rid of that tripod. Haha.

OK, I am pretty convinced to not do an install myself. Perhaps I will consider a 2 year contract with the incentives. Can I do a 2 year contract and own my own equipment in the end or are you required to lease? After the 2 years I would like the option to go to an HBO only plan if I want to.

Thanks for the wonderful advice.

-Sean

If you do the 2 year commitment for the incentives, the equipment you get is leased. Leased equipment stays leased, unless purchased. The commitment is only to maintain Top 120 (or equivalent) or higher programming.

As things are currently after the 2 years you can go to the Welcome Pack w/HBO, though in 2 years package selections may change.

Are you saying that even though equipment is leased I could go down to HBO only / welcome package? Is there an additional monthly fee because it is leased?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)