advice for buying new receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

skylab

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Hi,
I'm looking for a receiver that will pick channels on DVB-S2 format. And doesn't require add on card or chip to do this. I also wanted a blind scan option. Currently how many fta channels are on DVB-S2?

Thanks Agian,
Skylab

Right now, there are no regular dvb-s2 channels on ku band, there are some on c-band. There are NO receivers that currently meet those requirements, unless I'm mistaken . Times will change, I hope.

correct

There are some on C-Band but nothing on KU right now
No box on the market does blind scan (claiming it does and actually doing it are 2 different things) and DVB-S2

Unfortunately Blind Scan and DVB-S2 seem to be mutually independent currently. The pansat 9200 is the only one on the market that I know of that at least has a option to add S2 (officially supported now also with factory add-on) and have a blindscan. However, I don't know if the blindscan will find S2 signals. Time will tell as the official add-on has not been released yet.

To add to your receiver requirements, we all ALSO want the ability to decode 4:2:2 video ( and the increasingly prevalent, Dolby/E audio ) . The perfect reciever is a long way away, I fear. My highest hopes for early adoption of all of these, is in a PCI DVB solution ( that does not yet exist ).
However, even though I'm a long time techie, I think the DVB solution is a strange way to watch TV, so I'm not all that happy with it.

Dolby E equipment is prohibitively expensive commercial gear, probably because Dolby licensing for 'E' gear is targeted at pros. I doubt we'll see that capability in consumer level gear anytime soon (if ever)...

Dolby E equipment is prohibitively expensive commercial gear, probably because Dolby licensing for 'E' gear is targeted at pros. I doubt we'll see that capability in consumer level gear anytime soon (if ever)...

I suspect you are correct, although, implementing it in software, on a DVB PCI platform might be possible. It can't hurt to keep it on my wishlist, though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts