Advice Needed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KBryant888

Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I'm moving to a new apartment in a few weeks and finally found out what the service will be. It's DirectTV through SBC Home Entertainment

Link: http://www.sbche.com/sbche/main.nsf/dtvchcard

This seems to be expensive for me. I have seen DIRECTV offered for $29.99/month for total choice but theirs is $39.99/month for total choice and local channels.

They basically just have one big dish for the complex, and then that dish connects to all the other small dishes in each individual apartment.

I guess I have two questions.

1) Anyway I could get my price down?
2) They said that they don't offer HD service yet, how can that be? Anything I can do about that?

Thanks oh so much.

You "should" qualify for the current new customer deal $29 for the first 6 months, but if the apartment has its own deal with Directv/Sbc you may not get it, I would tell them to stuff it if you do not get the same deal as every new customer in the country!

The dish would have to be upgraded to a Phase III type dish for HD, so all you can do there is make a pest of yourself asking them to upgrade the dish to a Phase III dish or a Channel master 3 lnb gainmaster type dish.

One last option is get your own dish on your balcony, if they will not let you maybe they would let you have one of these....

www.cubsat.net but as far as I know they do not have a phase III cubsat..yet!

I have a balcony, but there are trees in the way of the sky...arg. So basically, I won't be able to get HD (AHHHH!).

They would have to upgrade the big antenae in order to get HD right?

The SBC deal with DISH Network allows SBC to buy the programming in bulk and resell it at there own price higher or lower than DISH'S own pricing. I imagine they have a similar agrrement with Directv. If you sign up with SBC you may never be a new customer again so try to get them to give you the new customer promotion of $10 off for the first six months.

Status
Please reply by conversation.