Status
Please reply by conversation.

timmy1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Manhattan, KS
Hello all,
Here is the situation. We have in our market(Topeka) NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS and a low power FOX. Directv also carries the Topeka locals but some of them are not the best quality. I cannot, because of a huge hill, get NBC, or PBS over the air. ABC and CBS come in but are full of ghosts. Fox is fine as they have a translator close by. I want to request waivers for ABC, NBC, and FOX. I was told by another guy in town, he got waivers from the local stations by writing to them.

My questions are, will they deny me because they are provided by Directv in analog? What type of wording shoud I use? Shoudl I send the letter to the GM or the engineer? If you lookup my address on the DNS thing for Directv it says I get a Grade A signal, when in fact I get an very unwatchable signal. I can send picture along of the hill.

Any advice you all can give is great. I am eventually going for HDTV and believe if I get the waiver now, I can enjoy it over Directv since I cannot receive any digital channel as it stands now.

thanks!

timmy1376, This is what I would do .I would call all of the tv stations general managers and talk to them about your problem. I would tell them that you already get the topeka locals from directv and that they are not losing any money to directv. Most times when you tell them this they will grant you the waiver you are requesting. I would also tell them that you are in a location that it is almost imposible to receive digital transmissions and this is why you are requesting the waivers. If they deny you the waiver then you can request that they do a SIGINAL TEST . If the siginal comes back to low then they have to grant you the waiver. Most times if it gets to the point that you request a siginal test,they will grant you the waiver to avoid the cost of doing one ,well I hope this works out for you and good luck..................................DIGITAL~DAN

Thanks very much. I had talked to ABC and CBS and engineers at both places said it I wanted they would just do a waiver. But I am not sure if engineers have that authorit.

Timmy, call DirecTV and let them go through the process.

Or, since you have the engineers telling you they will give waivers, get in writing and fax to DirecTV.

If you can't get the distant nets, are there other "significantly viewed" affiliates from other cities (KC?) that cable companies in your area carry? Depending on interpretation of the recently passed SHVERA, you may be able to get KC locals under this new possibility for sat viewers.

Or, as this thread is in the HD forum, were you looking only for the HD distant network feeds?

ramcm7 said:
If you can't get the distant nets, are there other "significantly viewed" affiliates from other cities (KC?) that cable companies in your area carry? Depending on interpretation of the recently passed SHVERA, you may be able to get KC locals under this new possibility for sat viewers.

Or, as this thread is in the HD forum, were you looking only for the HD distant network feeds?

Yeah, I would like the HD channels like CBS and NBC they offer now. I would also like the distant nets as our locals are compressed to heck, plus major ghosting.

Status
Please reply by conversation.