Advice on wall mount for Directv HR 24

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dennis Brown

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I am mounting a 47" HDTV on the wall using an articulating wall mount. I would like to mount the Directv receiver just below it so I can hide the wires behind the tv. I think that if you center the mount under the receiver it wouldn't be attached to a stud and some type of wall anchors would be needed. I've looked at a few wall mounts on line and they appear to stick out from the wall too far.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good wall mount for a Directv HR24?

Thanks,

Dennis

Is there no way to drop a wire through the wall to come out behind the tv and drop down to te receiver? That's how all my wires are ran so I don't see any. Another option is buying one of those covers and painting it the color of your wall and covering the wires. As far as mounts go, I have nothin but in sure somebody will chime in with an idea for you. Good luck!

Hutch1814 said:
Is there no way to drop a wire through the wall to come out behind the tv and drop down to te receiver? That's how all my wires are ran so I don't see any. Another option is buying one of those covers and painting it the color of your wall and covering the wires. As far as mounts go, I have nothin but in sure somebody will chime in with an idea for you. Good luck!

Agree. Cut a hole behind tv then throw all your wires in the wall. Cut another directly below near the floor and pull the wires out. Gives you the floating tv.

Much easier than trying to rig a shelf

I don't have room below the TV for a table or desk to place the HDTV receiver. I need a wall mount to place the receiver on. I see that Peerless makes one (Model PS200). Does anyone have any experience with this or any other model.

Thanks,

Dennis

That Peerless mount would work fine. If you're only putting the DirecTV receiver on it you wouldn't need to hit 2 studs. Use TOGGLERS if you have a spot where you're going through drywall and not hitting a stud. (not "toggle bolts".... togglers)

Go here:
TOGGLER High-Performance Anchors | Anchors, Toggle Bolts, Fasteners

and look at the Toggler plastic toggle anchors. Pretty sure you can pick them up at Home Depot or Lowes or similar type store.

For your articulating arm mount for the TV... you BETTER be hitting 2 studs. :)
Articulating arms can generate a lot of shear force when you extend them.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll go with the Peerless mount. My joists are 24" on center. Therefore, I can only tap into one of them. I'll use the Togglers as well. Unfortunately, the Peerless articulating arm I'm planning to purchase is designed for studs that are the usual 16" on center. The one joist I can drill into is a 4x4. I don't know if I can get away with using Togglers on the end that doesn't tie into a joist. Maybe I have to attach a 24" 2x4 to the wall initially and then attach the articulating arm to it. I really don't like this option. Can you think of any other option?

Thanks again,

Dennis

No way in the world I'd mount that without going into two studs. Send that mount back and get one that's a bit more flexible as far as installation goes.

I'd consider opening up the wall and installing a sheet of 3/4" plywood between the studs. The last thing you want to come home to is the television on the floor!

I haven't purchased the Peerless articulating wall mount yet. I was waiting for advice from this forum. I checked some other Peerless models and found one (Model SA752PU) That mounts vertically on one stud with four bolts. Since my "stud" is a 4x4 do you think this Peerless mount will be ok.

Thanks,

Dennis

It sounds like it's designed for mounting it that way, but I'd be leery of using only one stud even if it is a 4x4.

I have purchased several mounts from Monoprice.com they have a large selection of mounts on their site. On the linked page there are several articulating mounts and "DVD" racks that should hold an HR24 quite well.

If you can get 4 bolts into a 4x4 vertically, AND the mount was designed for that bolt pattern AND you've checked the weight limits of the mount, you should be OK. With the TV against the wall, the torque on the bolts is very low. You mostly deal with shear in that situation. Once you start extending that TV away from the wall, the torque forces go up VERY fast. If you NEED an articulating arm mount, then you NEED a very solid anchoring system. TVs can really hurt people (kids and pets?) when they fall.

Ask yourself this: How much did the TV cost? If it falls because of an insecure mount, can you easily replace it? If the TV falls on a guest or a child or pet, can you afford THAT? Personally, I'd be taking that wall apart and beefing it up with 3/4" plywood backing at minimum that spans the studs.

Cut a rectangle of drywall out from between the studs. Rip 3/4" off of a 2x4, predrill holes, and lag a length of that ripped down 2x4 vertically to the 4x4 on each side of the opening. You should then be able to lag a piece of 3/4" plywood to the 2x4s between the 4x4s such that you can take that piece of drywall and put it back in the hole it came out of and it will be tight against the plywood backer board and you have minimal patching to do.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)