Aiming Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

calmeidajr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 28, 2009
NJ
I am trying to aim my dish and all I get on the receiver is the signal strength. What's odd is when I point the dish to any location I get a strength. I an not getting any signal quality what do I have to do it get the quality up?

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Strength only indicates your LNB is connected. You'll get signal strength regardless of where you point the dish, as you have already seen. Quality is what you're after, and the best advice is to move the dish very slowly as you aim. FSS satellites are much harder to hit than DBS satellites like the ones DirecTV and Dish use. Make sure your receiver is tuned to an active transponder, as found in The List.

I am trying to aim my dish and all I get on the receiver is the signal strength. What's odd is when I point the dish to any location I get a strength. I an not getting any signal quality what do I have to do it get the quality up?

Did you set your receiver to a specific/active transponder first?

Also what receiver and dish set-up do you have, and what satellite are you aiming for?

The receiver has g19 preprogrammed already but I will double check.

The receiver has g19 preprogrammed already but I will double check.

Just a note...... The receiver does not react to a "Satellite" signal. You have to have an Active Transponder selected in the Setup Menu. Not all TPs are active 24/7.
List the Transponder you have selected.

Will the transponder that iceman put up for 97 work? I'm not home right now I'm working .

It would help if you would list what equipment you're using in your signature. That way we would already know what you are using and therefore make a more informed "gestimate" of how to fix it.

I see you're in NJ and you're looking for 97W?? So I take it this isn't a motorized dish then?

EDIT: I'm looking at 97W right now and 12090 H 20000 is a pretty hot one on my Micro HD. 90% S and 77% Q here in Virginia.

And BTW, I've got 240 channels on 24 TPs on that Ku side of 97W.

Last edited:
Yes I'm looking out a window....I have a mini x2 a fortec star dish and a ku circular lnb. The dish is not motorized.

OK. Is it on your bed or on the floor? I think it should be on the floor to provide the needed stability and as close to the window as possible so that you get the full signal reflected into the dish.

If there's a metal screen on the window it's not going to work.
Your "ku circular lnb" is also a "NO GO" for G19. Need a Standard, Linear Polarity, L.O. 10750
Once the LNBF is corrected.
Watch, in the tune up screen, one of the transponders listed here TheList (The link os on the top of the pages here) 12090 H 20000 is quite 'hot' here also.
BTW - how wide is your fortec star dish

ok I have to buy a different lnb and yes it's in the floor

Sometimes people say "circular" and mean "universal" ... if you could take a photo of the label or write down the information from the LNBF, we can verify you have the wrong type before you spend extra money :)

ok I have to buy a different lnb and yes it's in the floor

Can you use an Avenger PLL321-2 LNBF? If you can I've got one new in the box that you can have for shipping as it was sent to me by mistake and I can't use it on a prime focus dish. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited:
It says in the label ku band single lnbf. I'm sorry that I bother u guys I'm so new at this lol. ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1384474276.996165.jpgImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1384474290.694719.jpgImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1384474305.056237.jpg

Hello, calmeidair,
I tried - without success - to receive Pentagon, with a dish behind the window, but, maybe, you will be more lucky with 97 W ? Try to catch a signal outside your apartment building, using power inverter or extension cord, with your dish on a chair, and "memorize" your dish elevation with a level or digital protractor. After you make sure that you got the reception, then, you can try to get the reception behind your window. A chair on level floor will allow you to turn your dish and find the proper distance from the window. In my trial, the "culprit" is the overhanging roof, substantially reducing the incoming signal. Will try to catch 125 W, later. Hopefully, your window is facing South ( mine is facing azimuth 255, and I need azimuth 210 for 101 W). Four pictures follow:
IMG_0062.JPGIMG_0063.JPGIMG_0071.JPGIMG_0073.JPG

I have a X2 mini here and it's DVB-S only. Something to keep in mind when trying to lock onto something, make sure it's not DVB-S2 transponders. When you have your dish set where you think you might receive something you could try a blind scan, though on the mini I have here it takes forever to blind scan a sat.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts