Aiming my 33" dish, help please...?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

markis13446

Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
I have a Digiwave 33" dish and I can't seem to calculate the correct angles to aim my dish.

I have a Digipower SG-2100 and based on my latitude my declination angle is 7.55

I can't seem to locate any satellites.

My info:

EDMONTON, AB T5A 0A1
Canada

Latitude: 53.597 N
Longitude: 113.416 W

Based on the info I have, I should be setting my dish elevation at 22.45 (30-7.55). I can't seem to find anything. What I would like to verify is should I be taking 7.55 from the dish I am aiming at (24.5 deg elevation) or 30???

Also, the 33" Digiwave dish bracket I have has a lip on top that when mounted from the top of the mast sit flush against it. But when mounted from the bottom because of my motor, the lip pushes the bracket out about 1/4 of an inch. Does anyone know how much to compensate?

Thanks in advance.

30 - 7.55 is correct, but remember... don't rely solely on the elevation scale that's engraved on the dish mounting bracket. These scales are often off by 5 degrees, sometimes more. You'll have to tweak the elevation up and down until you get the satellite. It probably won't be where the dish elevation scale says it should be.

I had the same problem last week. The best I could get on my true south satellite was 40% which was hard to even determine if I was getting any signal since when I pulled the coax out of the back of the receiver it read 38%. What I did is when I notice the signal level fluctuating up to 40% and back I incremented the frequency by one in the TP scan menu and it got a little better, a couple more and I was locked on. I had a tv out on the roof with me so that helped too. Maybe go back and forth a couple on the frequency when you think you might be close.

Found that my bracket from my dish has a lip on it, which was throwing off the angles. I machined the lip away and will try again tonight. Thanks for the input guys.

So mission accomplished, I kid you not, my dish was close to 10 degrees off with its markings.

...and since you shaved it, it is no longer 10º off...?

Any chance of some pictures?

Just happy you are back on target. Enjoy. ;)

Sure Anole.

I'll snap some to show the final install. Hopefully it will help someone in the future.

I have a Digiwave 33" dish and I can't seem to calculate the correct angles to aim my dish.

I have a Digipower SG-2100 and based on my latitude my declination angle is 7.55

I can't seem to locate any satellites.

My info:

EDMONTON, AB T5A 0A1
Canada

Latitude: 53.597 N
Longitude: 113.416 W

Based on the info I have, I should be setting my dish elevation at 22.45 (30-7.55). I can't seem to find anything. What I would like to verify is should I be taking 7.55 from the dish I am aiming at (24.5 deg elevation) or 30???

Also, the 33" Digiwave dish bracket I have has a lip on top that when mounted from the top of the mast sit flush against it. But when mounted from the bottom because of my motor, the lip pushes the bracket out about 1/4 of an inch. Does anyone know how much to compensate?

Thanks in advance.

I also have the same setup and I'm in edmonton too. Working on getting this dish working properly did you manage to get it up and tracking after you machined the lip off the dish, I should almost start a new thread but hope you might have some answers for me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)