AL Central Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thinking earlier, Should the Tigers had put out the money required to get Reyes instead of Fielder ?

He would have been the Lead Off guy they desperately need and Jackson would have went to the 9 spot in the line up.

Only issue I would have had with Reyes would have been injuries.

I say yes. I can only hope we win big with Fielder over the next 3-years because that 9-year contract will eventually be the cross all Tiger fans will have to bear (certainly past year 5 IMO). We shall see...

As I recall, we had three active Twins posters but they didn't have much to say last year. The Twins should be healthy and competitive this season.

Yeah that was just a bad joke. I hope all the teams in the division will be well represented here this season. This was probably my favorite thread last season because of the discussion from other Tigers fans and the division rivals as well. I don't think the Twins will be bottom dwellers again this year and it looks like the young talent on the Royals and Indians is only going to get better over the next few years. Also, this will be the first Ozzieless season in Chicago so that should be interesting too.

AL Central: Predicted order of finish and team overview's:

1. Tigers- Best all around team in the division. Best pitcher, best closer, best big stick. If healthy, this is the team to beat. The addition of Prince Fielder will mask the loss of V-Mart. The team's only weakness is on defense. There's A LOT of weight and immobile players manning the infield. In a close game or down the stretch, this could come into play, big time. Key subtractions include: 2B Carlos Guillen, RF Magglio Ordonez, RHP Brad Penny and RHP Joel Zumaya.

2. Indians- The only major player lost this year is Fausto Carmona who is stuck in the Dominican Republic for using a false ID. When that issue get's resolved is still unknown. Key acquisitions include 1B Casey Kotchman and P Derek Lowe. Management resigned a slew of players to avoid arbitration and should be motivated for huge years in anticipation for a longer tenured future contract. This team hopes to overcome the injury bug this year (I'm talking to you Grady Sizemore and the rest of our outfield!). Expecting a BIG year from RF Sin Soo Choo and 2B Jason Kipnis. Defensively, this team is the best in the division. Hands down. The Indians should have another solid starting staff and bullpen. Offensively, they're still near the bottom.

3. Royals- Youngest team in the league. They'll miss the loss of CF Melky Cabrera. Their strength is on offense and their weakness is still their starting pitching staff.

4. Twins- Can Mauer and Morneau stay healthy? If so, they should help rebound the 2nd lowest scoring offense in the AL last year. But that's a big if. Key losses include: RHP Joe Nathan, RHP Kevin Slowey, OF Michael Cuddyer, OF Jason Kubel,

5. White Sox- Rookie manager & a team on the verge of a full rebuild doesn't bode well for this team. Key losses include P Mark Buehrle and closer Sergio Santos. Offensively, this team is the pits.

Last edited:
AL Central: Predicted order of finish and team overview's:

1. Tigers- Best all around team in the division. Best pitcher, best closer, best big stick. If healthy, this is the team to beat. The addition of Prince Fielder will mask the loss of V-Mart. The team's only weakness is on defense. There's A LOT of weight and immobile players manning the infield. In a close game or down the stretch, this could come into play, big time. Key subtractions include: 2B Carlos Guillen, RF Magglio Ordonez, RHP Brad Penny and RHP Joel Zumaya.

2. Indians- The only major player lost this year is Fausto Carmona who is stuck in the Dominican Republic for using a false ID. When that issue get's resolved is still unknown. Key acquisitions include 1B Casey Kotchman and P Derek Lowe. Management resigned a slew of players to avoid arbitration and should be motivated for huge years in anticipation for a longer tenured future contract. This team hopes to overcome the injury bug this year (I'm talking to you Grady Sizemore and the rest of our outfield!). Expecting a BIG year from RF Sin Soo Choo and 2B Jason Kipnis. Defensively, this team is the best in the division. Hands down. The Indians should have another solid starting staff and bullpen. Offensively, they're still near the bottom.

3. Royals- Youngest team in the league. They'll miss the loss of CF Melky Cabrera. Their strength is on offense and their weakness is still their starting pitching staff.

4. Twins- Can Mauer and Morneau stay healthy? If so, they should help rebound the 2nd lowest scoring offense in the AL last year. But that's a big if. Key losses include: RHP Joe Nathan, RHP Kevin Slowey, OF Michael Cuddyer, OF Jason Kubel,

5. White Sox- Rookie manager & a team on the verge of a full rebuild doesn't bode well for this team. Key losses include P Mark Buehrle and closer Sergio Santos. Offensively, this team is the pits.

Nice write up HD !

Jimbo said:
.300 or better would be very productive and a very good year for the Tigers.
I would settle for .290 even.

I would settle for .280, a few more walks, and a lot less strikeouts. Thank goodness his glove saves a couple runs each week.

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys App

Should be intresting to see how the Brandon Inge experiement goes. The trouble I see he may have is having to make shorter throws. He seems to struggle to make short throws

Bad news for the Indians already ...

Grady Sizemore strained his back a few weeks ago and will be unavailable for opening day according to report from ESPN on TV a few minutes ago.

Personally, I would never report that type of thing, I would rehab and work towards getting back before I would state that I am out and wont be ready for Opening Day.

I think we all knew the odds of him making a successful return were slim-to-none. Hopefully he saved all his paychecks, earned his college degree while sitting in rehab the past few years, and will make something of himself outside of baseball. Unfortunately, I think his baseball career is now over.

Dam, Zuyma hurts elbow. Guy just can't catch a break

yup. Bummer

Twins right-hander Joel Zumaya left his throwing session early on Saturday with discomfort in his inner right elbow.

Zumaya, facing live hitters for the first time this spring, exited his bullpen session after 13 pitches and walked off the field with head trainer Rick McWane.

Zumaya, who declined to speak to reporters, is scheduled to get an MRI exam on Sunday, according to Twins manager Ron Gardenhire and general manager Terry Ryan.

yup. Bummer

Twins right-hander Joel Zumaya left his throwing session early on Saturday with discomfort in his inner right elbow.

Zumaya, facing live hitters for the first time this spring, exited his bullpen session after 13 pitches and walked off the field with head trainer Rick McWane.

Zumaya, who declined to speak to reporters, is scheduled to get an MRI exam on Sunday, according to Twins manager Ron Gardenhire and general manager Terry Ryan.

Local reporter says he tore a ligament, done for the reason, sucks he is a good guy. Was hoping he could pitch this year

Status
Not open for further replies.