AL Central Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
IF theres any truth to this rumor, the Tigers are now looking at Indians SS Asdrubal Cabrera ....

I would LIKE this move very much, defensive improvement would be huge over Peralta or Drew.
I really don't see why the Tigers would go after Drew as he's not much better D wise than Peralta, however Cabrera IS.

http://www.freep.com/article/201211...al-cabrera-cleveland-indians?odyssey=obinsite

IF the Tigers can pull this off without giving up Castallos or Garcia, then I'd say Go For it !

IF theres any truth to this rumor, the Tigers are now looking at Indians SS Asdrubal Cabrera ....

I would LIKE this move very much, defensive improvement would be huge over Peralta or Drew.
I really don't see why the Tigers would go after Drew as he's not much better D wise than Peralta, however Cabrera IS.

http://www.freep.com/article/201211...al-cabrera-cleveland-indians?odyssey=obinsite

IF the Tigers can pull this off without giving up Castallos or Garcia, then I'd say Go For it !

The Indians Cabrera has been eating our lunch when we play them. At least that's the way it seems to me.

Tigers roundup...

• Detroit Tigers expect Omar Infante to be '100 percent' healthy for spring training
  • Tigers acquired second baseman Jeff Kobernus and left-handed reliever Kyle Lobstein from the Boston Red Sox and New York Mets, respectively
    • in exchange for minor-league utility player Justin Henry and cash considerations
  • Scott Boras still pitching Rafael Soriano to Detroit Tigers (although I don't see it happening)
  • Detroit Tigers' Jim Leyland prefers to avoid closer-by-committee
    • will give Bruce Rondon a shot this spring (fallback with Dotel, Benoit and Coke)
  • Athletics have their eyes on Tigers' Jhonny Peralta (still)
  • Tigers will pick 20th on Thursday morning in the Rule 5 draft. Or they might not
    • Any player selected in the draft has to spend the entire season in the majors or be offered back to his original club for $25K
    • Tigers have not selected a player in the Rule 5 draft since 2008 (Kyle Bloom from Pittsburgh)
    • Left hand pitchers (only one with more than "A" leage experiece) are all garbage IMO.

Anyway, nothing of significance has changed. I think Leyland is going with Bruce Rondon. If he develops/performs well during the 1st half of the year then he's the go to guy. If not, the Tigers will look to rectify the problem at the All-Star break. We shall see.

Last edited:
  • Detroit Tigers expect Omar Infante to be '100 percent' healthy for spring training
  • Tigers acquired second baseman Jeff Kobernus and left-handed reliever Kyle Lobstein from the Boston Red Sox and New York Mets, respectively
    • in exchange for minor-league utility player Justin Henry and cash considerations
  • Scott Boras still pitching Rafael Soriano to Detroit Tigers (although I don't see it happening)
  • Detroit Tigers' Jim Leyland prefers to avoid closer-by-committee
    • will give Bruce Rondon a shot this spring (fallback with Dotel, Benoit and Coke)
  • Athletics have their eyes on Tigers' Jhonny Peralta (still)
  • Tigers will pick 20th on Thursday morning in the Rule 5 draft. Or they might not
    • Any player selected in the draft has to spend the entire season in the majors or be offered back to his original club for $25K
    • Tigers have not selected a player in the Rule 5 draft since 2008 (Kyle Bloom from Pittsburgh)
    • Left hand pitchers (only one with more than "A" leage experiece) are all garbage IMO.

Anyway, nothing of significance has changed. I think Leyland is going with Bruce Rondon. If he develops/performs well during the 1st half of the year then he's the go to guy. If not, the Tigers will look to rectify the problem at the All-Star break. We shall see.

Can you imagine the Price to pay IF Rondon fails and the Tigers have to go out at the Trade Deadline and get a Closer ...

Nobody is their right mind would trade an effective closer midway through the season...unless the team really sucks and they paid way too much for their closer. I hope Rondon works out...

Heard today that Tigers were starting to look for closers, without Closing exp., WTH ...

Also heard they were looking at the Pirates closer ... name escapes me .

Joel Hanrahan, I think was the name.

Well, the Tigers managed to keep Anibel Sanchez, after the Cubs made a huge offer, Mr. I decided to get the deal done, going more years that I would have, 7 yrs for 80M.

That comes out to about 11.4M per year, which is a reasonable number for him, but the 7 years is too long, however, I haven't heard if theres any buy out clauses and whatnot yet.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8746578/anibal-sanchez-returning-detroit-tigers-80-million-deal

Actually it's 5 years at $16 million per year. It's a little on the high end for what I would have offered him but I don't have a problem with the length of the contract. Most contracts for 5 or less years are ok with me except for older players like Hunter.

Babe Ruth would earn a little more than 1M per year adjusted for inflation. 300K is more than enough for Sanchez.

I know you're being sarcastic but it's a totally different era. The MLB minimum salary for next season is $480,000 thanks to the MLBPA. With the money that comes into the MLB through their TV contracts, stadium revenue, apps, and merchandise I have no problem with the players getting a big chunk of the money. They are the ones I'm paying to see not the owners. The most recent article about the owner/player revenue split I can find is from 2008 but the players got 52% at that time. Everyone talks about how overpaid the players are now and I do agree but their careers only average 5.6 years. The owners get almost an equal chunk of that money (I realize they have to pay their staff as well.) and stick around for decades. If they started paying the guys like Sanchez who range from above average to good $300,000 what would they pay guys like Santiago, Kelly, and Coke? $40,000? Give the owners 80%?

Last edited:
Well, the Tigers managed to keep Anibel Sanchez, after the Cubs made a huge offer, Mr. I decided to get the deal done, going more years that I would have, 7 yrs for 80M.

That comes out to about 11.4M per year, which is a reasonable number for him, but the 7 years is too long, however, I haven't heard if theres any buy out clauses and whatnot yet.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8746578/anibal-sanchez-returning-detroit-tigers-80-million-deal

Actually it's 5 years at $16 million per year. It's a little on the high end for what I would have offered him but I don't have a problem with the length of the contract. Most contracts for 5 or less years are ok with me except for older players like Hunter.

Your right, not sure where I heard it was 7 ... :confused: :mad:

While we have not started the world famous AL central thread for 2013 I am going to Tiger fest tomorrow, for those not familiar with that they will have the stadium open, it's a day to meet players maybe purchase stuff like that it may be 20 tomorrow but will fell warm being at the ball park. It's a event that sells out!

While we have not started the world famous AL central thread for 2013 I am going to Tiger fest tomorrow, for those not familiar with that they will have the stadium open, it's a day to meet players maybe purchase stuff like that it may be 20 tomorrow but will fell warm being at the ball park. It's a event that sells out!

Cool ...

Have fun !
They were just in Toledo earlier in the week but I was unable to go.

Go ahead and open a AL Central 2013 thread ...

I've been thinking about it, but have been waiting for something worth putting in it first :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts