AL Central Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tigers FINALLY RELEASED Ryan Raburn !!!!

Good move...the fact I keep calling him Gene Rayburn says something about my feelings on this subject.

Sadly looks like the Tigers are again interested in Stephen Drew at SS and moving Peralta along....Better option yet, go out and GET a top SS or someone at least better than Drew.

Agreed. Sometimes maintaining the status quo is the most prudent decision. Offhand, I don't know of an available quaility SS who will be an improvement in that position.

Good move...the fact I keep calling him Gene Rayburn says something about my feelings on this subject.

Agreed. Sometimes maintaining the status quo is the most prudent decision. Offhand, I don't know of an available quaility SS who will be an improvement in that position.

The kid from Cleveland is available as is the guy in KC, both in my opinion would be better than Drew.

Who are we developing in the farm system? Perhaps we have another Alan Trammel in the making. Doubtful, but you never know. I still think we should try to deal Porcello, if that's still an option.

Nobody on the farm thats above A ball at the moment that is a serious consideration.

So it's looks picking up Jhonny's option for 6M?

Unless they trade him, or pick up his contract and then move him, or KEEP him.

IF they can't get someone better than Peralta on the Offensive side and D side then WHY move him.

Drew to me is a bit better on the D side, but much less at the plate.

Unless they trade him, or pick up his contract and then move him, or KEEP him.

IF they can't get someone better than Peralta on the Offensive side and D side then WHY move him.

Drew to me is a bit better on the D side, but much less at the plate.

The one question I have is does Peralta want to stay with the team? I assume he would, but I haven't read anything on the subject.

Whatever happened to the .280 hitter being the low guy on the team(s) ?

I read in the Det News today that Peralta was being looked at by Arizona and one other team so far.

Great article in the Free Press about this issue right here. The problems with Peralta are:

1. He hit a dismal .239 last year which is a far cry from his .299 a season earlier. He has a .264 lifetime BA but has a history of having a good year at the plate every three years - no consistency.

2. He's a middle-of-the-road defensive player...and I'm sure a lot of Tigers fans think this defense is worse than it actually is. The problem is the Tigers do not have world class defense at the corners (Fielder and Cabrera) so, according to the aforementioned article, the Tigers will have to improve up the middle. A full season of Infante at 2nd should help and the team will be improved in the OF with the addition of Hunter and departure of Young.

Anyway, the Tigers defense has improved in the OF and somewhat in the IF. The Freep.com article points out that Arizona is interested in Peralta and asks if there would be any outcry if Danny Worth were to become the regular SS. As you know, Worth has been a platoon player the past 3-years. I think he would be a defensive improvement (certainly not any worse) but he only has a .244 BA. Of course, that may very well improve if he were to plan on a daily basis. So Peralta can be traded even with the Tigers having exercised his option. But trade him for whom? I don't know why they would be interested in Stephen Drew since he is certainly not an improvement defensively or offensively over Peralta.

Personally, maintaining the status quo with Peralta at SS seems like the most prudent choice. Of course, I wouldn't mind seeing Danny Worth get the start at SS if they could trade Peralta for a solid closer or middle reliever. I think Worth would do well (he's certainly right priced) but it's a huge gamble. Even if he only hits .210 I don't see where that hurts the team.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of having Danny Worth play SS and trading Peralta and his 6M salary for a quality closer or middle reliever. Heck, I would even toss Porcello into the trade if could get a top-notch closer.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of having Danny Worth play SS and trading Peralta and his 6M salary for a quality closer or middle reliever. Heck, I would even toss Porcello into the trade if could get a top-notch closer.

We should go after Rafael Soriano if he wants to play for a contender and not in New York. I predict Rick Porcello will be traded if the Tigers can get a good a deal for him. We shall see.

We should go after Rafael Soriano if he wants to play for a contender and not in New York. I predict Rick Porcello will be traded if the Tigers can get a good a deal for him. We shall see.

They think he's asking way too much, and I agree, he wants 4 years and 60M I think I saw.

They would like Rondon to take over, but he's never been in the majors yet, I think thats a HUGE gamble, particularly when they have a team thats striving for the WS.

I would give him 3 and 33M, he turned down 4/48 from the yankees I think it was (from memory, I read a lot today). Maybe thats not right either, I remember something about 14M a year from the yanks.
Unless he just REALLY wanted out of NY, I don't see him taking less.

IF they are REALLY looking at Upton, Arizona also has JJ Putz, take those two and give them Peralta and Porcello.

As for SS, the Tigers are huge on Castanello (sp) Minors, was scheduled to be at 3B, till Cabrera moved and then moved to the OF in the minors and is slowly learning, I think Kaline is working or will be working with him.
What about trying him at SS ?

Last edited:

Not sure I'd want to face Porcello every year, he tends to come up BIG in the important games.

They think he's asking way too much, and I agree, he wants 4 years and 60M I think I saw.

They would like Rondon to take over, but he's never been in the majors yet, I think thats a HUGE gamble, particularly when they have a team thats striving for the WS.

I would give him 3 and 33M, he turned down 4/48 from the yankees I think it was (from memory, I read a lot today). Maybe thats not right either, I remember something about 14M a year from the yanks.
Unless he just REALLY wanted out of NY, I don't see him taking less.

IF they are REALLY looking at Upton, Arizona also has JJ Putz, take those two and give them Peralta and Porcello.

As for SS, the Tigers are huge on Castanello (sp) Minors, was scheduled to be at 3B, till Cabrera moved and then moved to the OF in the minors and is slowly learning, I think Kaline is working or will be working with him.
What about trying him at SS ?

- 14-15 million is too much for Soriano, and we don't need to get wrapped-up in 4-5 year deal. Therefore it looks like Soriano is a no-go.

- Good luck with Bruce Rondon taking the job of closer next season. Even if he had the best arm in the majors he still need to learn how to pitch in the big league.

- I don't know much about Upton or Putz.

- Nick Castanello seems like a good prospect but, just like Rondon, an unproven commodity. Offhand, I have no idea who good he would be at shortstop.

Other questions:

- What happens to Brennan Boesch? I don't see him getting much playing time next year with Tori Hunter coming aboard and Avisail Garcia showing promise. The Tigers now have four players listed in RF: Hunter, Boesch, Garcia and Kelley.

- 14-15 million is too much for Soriano, and we don't need to get wrapped-up in 4-5 year deal. Therefore it looks like Soriano is a no-go.

- Good luck with Bruce Rondon taking the job of closer next season. Even if he had the best arm in the majors he still need to learn how to pitch in the big league.

- Nick Castanello seems like a good prospect but, just like Rondon, an unproven commodity. Offhand, I have no idea who good he would be at shortstop.

Other questions:

- What happens to Brennan Boesch? I don't see him getting much playing time next year with Tori Hunter coming aboard and Avisail Garcia showing promise. The Tigers now have four players listed in RF: Hunter, Boesch, Garcia and Kelley.

I think they will try to trade him... (Boesch), kinda sad, really like the guy, but after his wrist injury he hasn't been given much of an opportunity.

I would think that the 4 outfielders that will get most of the time will be Hunter in RF, Jackson in CF, Dirks in LF and Garcia will platoon with Dirks ... and any others will be on the bench.

Wonder if Q will make the club as a bench guy this year.
Really need a solid bat on the bench, someone that can hit one out if needed.

I Agree, it would be nice to get him on a 2-3 year deal though.

Agreed
Upton is the Diamondbacks outfielder that shows promise has been to an allstar game, but is a head case from what I've read.
Putz was Seattle's closer a few years back.

Castanello they say is a BIG kid, too big to play SS, I guess, I think Ripken was a big guy and he turned out ok....
That said, I don't know how much of a fielder he actually is, he's moved up in the minors pretty quickly, but hasn;t been long enough to know much on the D side of things.

Other questions:

Rangers Elvis Andrus is the SS I'd like to see them get ... but you can be assured that they will ask a Kings Ransom for him, so I don't see that happening.
No I wouldn't give up Castellanos for him, but would consider Garcia I think.
Andrus is being moved out by the Rangers because they have thier stud of the future taking over next year, Profair supposivly, he's on the 40 man roster and played some there last year.

Andrus is still young, 24, in his 3 years has avg'd .275 and avg. 30 Stolen Bases.

From the Free Press, looks like Brennan Boesch may be dealt next ... week during the MLB's get together in Nashville ...

You'd think they would want to go somewhere warmer than Nashville ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)