AL Central Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Free Press, looks like Brennan Boesch may be dealt next ... week during the MLB's get together in Nashville ...

You'd think they would want to go somewhere warmer than Nashville ...

They can take Porcello with 'em and see if they can trade-away his 3.1M salary in order to pursue a closer. I like our #1-4 in the starting rotation and we can use the #5 spot to develop young talent. Although Porcello is still a kid, he has had 4-years to develop and I think he's as good as he ever be. Of course, he is great trade-bait for a team having serious problems with their starting rotation, and he is young so there is still 'hope' that his pitching will mature. I personally don't think so, but 4-years is enough waiting so let's get something for him while we can.

Perhaps the Tigers can trade Boesch and Porcello for a promising closer with a cellar-dwellar who are more concerned with starting pitching and daily right-fielder who can hit .260 with a little power. A cellar-dwellar certainly doesn't need to focus their attention on their closing pitcher.

Any hopefuls that fill the bill?

They can take Porcello with 'em and see if they can trade-away his 3.1M salary in order to pursue a closer. I like our #1-4 in the starting rotation and we can use the #5 spot to develop young talent. Although Porcello is still a kid, he has had 4-years to develop and I think he's as good as he ever be. Of course, he is great trade-bait for a team having serious problems with their starting rotation, and he is young so there is still 'hope' that his pitching will mature. I personally don't think so, but 4-years is enough waiting so let's get something for him while we can.

Perhaps the Tigers can trade Boesch and Porcello for a promising closer with a cellar-dwellar who are more concerned with starting pitching and daily right-fielder who can hit .260 with a little power. A cellar-dwellar certainly doesn't need to focus their attention on their closing pitcher.

Any hopefuls that fill the bill?
Joakim Soria would be who your wanting ?
KC's closer, if he's the guy I keep thinking always did the job against us, then yes, he looks like he may be the one on the list.

I think that they are actually looking at the yankees FA closer as well .... would be nice to get someone that you KNOW can close consistanly for a change and he has no problem pitching in tough places, of course if they went that route, your talking more long term I think, then Rondon becomes your Set up guy I think or the 7th inning guy to get his feet wet.

I have no problem trading Porcello and Boesch for something, just don't think your gonna get all that much.

Joakim Soria would be who your wanting ?
KC's closer, if he's the guy I keep thinking always did the job against us, then yes, he looks like he may be the one on the list.

I think that they are actually looking at the yankees FA closer as well .... would be nice to get someone that you KNOW can close consistanly for a change and he has no problem pitching in tough places, of course if they went that route, your talking more long term I think, then Rondon becomes your Set up guy I think or the 7th inning guy to get his feet wet.

I have no problem trading Porcello and Boesch for something, just don't think your gonna get all that much.

Looking back, I don't think Valverde pitched any different this season than he did in 2011 when he has a perfect save record. He scared me almost as much...just managed to always get out of the innings someway. Speaking of...since nobody has picked-up Valverde (and his 9M salary) what are the odds we get stuck with him in 2013?

Looking back, I don't think Valverde pitched any different this season than he did in 2011 when he has a perfect save record. He scared me almost as much...just managed to always get out of the innings someway. Speaking of...since nobody has picked-up Valverde (and his 9M salary) what are the odds we get stuck with him in 2013?

Slim ... He wasn't offered a contract.

More talks today about Soriono ....
Dombrowski said that they were still planning to go with Rondon ...

This tells me that the Tigers are waiting for Soriono's price to come down, and I think it will.
IF it comes down and years as well, I think we'll see him in the Tigers Old English D.

That said, I'd rather they make room for Sanchez, say maybe a 3-4 year deal.

Soriono, 2-3 year deal tops.

Looks like the Tigers should be hoping that Zake Grenke signs with the Dodgers, as that would free up Sanchez to come back to the Tigers, as the Dodgers are the main team looking at Sanchez.

Al;so being reported by mlbtraderumors is that Tigers are open to trading Porcello ...
Here Riffjim is where the Porcello to the yanks would benefit the Tigers if they can get Soriano as part of that deal. (I know one is a trade and the other a FA, but stranger things happen.

Olney's Latest: Kershaw, Wright, Porcello, Soriano
By Mike Axisa [November 28, 2012 at 11:00pm CST]

In today's Insider-only blog post, ESPN's Buster Olney wrote about the character clause on the Hall of Fame ballot as well as Marvin Miller's legacy. Here are his rumors...

Olney notes that if the Dodgers do sign Zack Greinke to a record contract, it would have a direct impact on the team's inevitable contract extension negotiations with Clayton Kershaw. The left-hander can become a free agent after 2014.
Some evaluators believe David Wright may not be able to find a nine-figure contract as a free agent after next season if he repeats his 2012 effort because he's not an elite power hitter.
The Tigers have let other teams know they're willing to discuss Rick Porcello in trades.
Olney believes the Tigers should target Rafael Soriano and that Brian Wilson could be a good fit for the Red Sox, whom he grew up rooting for.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/detroit_tigers/#Zl2y5vvHmf3VUmvi.99

Things that make you go Hmmmm ....

Jir Jurjinns is a FA ...

Do the Tigers bring him in again ... he's been injured in recent past, but it would be good to have him onboard and ship out Porcello and if Sanchez doesn't come back .... well, ya at least got someone with experience.

Not saying the Tigers are looking at least Im haven't heard anything yet (read)., but just thinking ... :)

Things that make you go Hmmmm ....

Jir Jurjinns is a FA ...

Do the Tigers bring him in again ... he's been injured in recent past, but it would be good to have him onboard and ship out Porcello and if Sanchez doesn't come back .... well, ya at least got someone with experience.

Not saying the Tigers are looking at least Im haven't heard anything yet (read)., but just thinking ... :)

I think we may have to keep Porcello if you don't retain Sanchez. Of course, I'm banking on Sanchez sticking around.

I think we may have to keep Porcello if you don't retain Sanchez. Of course, I'm banking on Sanchez sticking around.

I'm hoping that Sanchez sticks around ...
That said, it not like he's a Super Star, even though he came thru for the Tigers last year, he's barely a .500 pitcher over his career.

Given our offense, and his fairly consistent pitching, I would be happy with him finishing 15-10 in the #4 rotation.

Ya, 15-10 would be great !

Our Offense ?
You mean the same Offense that couldn't get it done thru the majority of the year ?

The same offense that could go out and get 13 hits and 10 runs one game and 2 hits and 0 runs the next ?

Granted, we've made changes this off season, but you never know ...

The biggest change I see so far is Addition by Subtraction ...
Raburn not flailing away over 3/4's of the year ... being force fed into the line up.
Catcher that can't hit is OK as long as the D is there, Avilla may return with the Bat from the previous year, maybe not.
Hopefully Infante will bounce back with a whole year behind him.

The return of V. Martinez will be huge and a solid #2 hitter in Hunter will help.

I'm not opposed to keeping Porcello. I'm really not sure if I would rather have him or count on a young Smyly all season. Smyly has more upside than Porcello but he isn't proven yet. It's hard to know if he will keep getting better or even be as good as he was last year.

I'm not opposed to keeping Porcello. I'm really not sure if I would rather have him or count on a young Smyly all season. Smyly has more upside than Porcello but he isn't proven yet. It's hard to know if he will keep getting better or even be as good as he was last year.

I think Smyly will be there regardless, if not as a Starter, then he'll be in the Bullpen.

Anyone else concerned with the size of contract Annibal Sanchez is looking for, big commitment with such a small sample

Anyone else concerned with the size of contract Annibal Sanchez is looking for, big commitment with such a small sample

I'm not worried...if he's asking too much then let him go (or look) elsewhere.

They always ASK for the world and settle for something else.

The Tigers made a VERY fair offer to him in my opinion, 4 and 48M and he felt insulted it was reported ....

They should come back with a 3/38M or there abouts and see what he says, if he doesn't like it, move on.

Somewhere I heard he was asking for 6-7-8 years and 90M+
This is for a slightly above .500 pitcher over his career and last years numbers weren't THAT much better.

While he pitched well for the Tigers, his numbers for last year were UNDER .500
9-13 and gave up 20 HR's and 200 hits in the reg season.

He was 1-2 in the post season with a 1.77 era ...

Don't get me wrong, he's a good #3, but not worth the money he's looking for.
The 4/48 the Tigers offered is more than what I would have offered, I wouldn't have offered that many years to start with.

Drew Smyly will do fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)