AL EAST 2009

Why dp baseball people talk about J.D. Drew like he's the second coming of Al Kaline? Look at his career numbers! They are an embarassment to everyone who ever signed him. Who ever heard of a highly regarded major league oufielder who averaged under 120 games per season?

In twelve "full" major league seasons, he's hit over 20 homers twice, knocked in over 73 runs twice, scored over 80 runs only three times, hit over .290 only three times and played in 109 games or less in seven out of his twelve seasons.

And he has averaged three stolen bases a year for the last five years.

mrnegzp7.jpg

............STRIKES AGAIN!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Who will/can catch Wakefield????

Victor Martinez? He used to catch Paul Byrd and he threw knucklers.
Yep.

American League manager Joe Maddon said moments ago that if Tim Wakefield gets into tonight's All-Star game it won't until later and the person catching him would be Indians backstop/first baseman Victor Martinez.

Martinez said he has never caught a knuckleballer, but said, "Bring it on. The important thing is to have fun with it."

This will be interesting to watch as Martinez has often been involved in trade rumors to Boston.

Martinez to catch Wakefield - Extra Bases - Red Sox blog

Clay Buchholz won his much anticipated 2009 MLB debut tonight in Toronto, as the Sox defeated the Blue Jays 4-1.

Buchholz gave up one run over 5.2 innings.

It is likely Buchholz will be sent back down tonight, to clear a roster spot for shortstop Jed Lowrie.

Isn't there a dress code for the managers in baseball, they usually where the teams uniform, right ?

Just flipping thru some games tonight and Joe Madden went to the mound to make a pitching change wearing a hooded sweatshirt.
It reminded me of Billacheck, or the guy from the commercial where the pitcher looks at the guy and says " Who are you ?" :D (mlb ballcaps)

Jimbo

Wakefield has been placed on the 15 day DL due to a lower back strain, thereby enabling the non-knuckerballing contingent of the starting rotation to stay in place for two more rotations. Doesn't MLB recognize the Hellenic Flu?

In a big game, you never want a knuckleballer pitching for you, and you never want a knuckleballer pitching against you.
- old saying

Looks like Wakefield is taking yet another one for the team.

Last edited:
Hey Sawx fans, any truth to the rumors of the Clay Buckholtz for Victor Martinez deal?
Buchholz may not be involved. From SI:

The Red Sox have been pursuing Martinez for weeks, leading some to wonder whether a deal can be made. The teams appear to match up well, as Boston has the types of young pitching prospects the Indians covet. The Red Sox retain interest even after acquiring first baseman Adam LaRoche, who one competing exec said was "cheap" ($3 million) insurance for them.

Competing teams suggest they don't believe the Red Sox would part with their top young pitching prospect, Clay Buchholz. Assuming Buchholz is off limits, the Indians might seek a two-pitcher package from a group of Junichi Tazawa, Casey Kelly, Michael Bowden, Daniel Bard and some others -- though the Indians prefer starters and Bard is a classic closer type and Bowden is viewed as a possible reliever.

Teams step up pursuit of Roy Halladay, Matt Holliday, Victor Martinez and Cliff Lee - Jon Heyman - SI.com

I hate to see Kotsay go, but I'm not surprised.

How many players can play BOTH CF and 1B effectively?

With Drew as one of your starting outfielders, and Rocco Baldelli now the only backup OF, that's pretty scary since both players are not exactly Cal Ripken in the durability dept.

The Sox like to carry twelve pitchers, so that leaves room for only four bench players. With Baldelli, Kottaras, LaRoche and Lowrie/Green that makes Kotsay the odd man out.

Ortiz now has 56 RBI and needs just 44 in the remaining 66 games to reach a hundred. Any bets on who winds up leading the Red Sox in RBI this year?

He also has lifted his batting average above .230 for the first time since early in the year, and even got his 3rd intentional walk.

It will be VERY interesting to see how the Red Sox roster shapes up after the additions of Victor Martinez and Casey Kotchman.

*Will the Sox go with three catchers OR will they go with an eleven man pitching staff with the departure of Masterson?

*IF the Sox go with three catchers, will Martinez supplant Ortiz as the DH against lefties?

*Will Kotchman cut into Lowell's playing time (something that Adam LaRoche was already starting to do), with Youkilis moving to 3B?

*When Tim Wakefield comes off the DL, will V-Mart catch the knuckballer if the Sox jettison George Kottaras?

No matter what, the arrival of these two players will certainly affect Varitek, Lowell and Ortiz' playing time. This should get interesting..............

I just do not want Casey to rot on the bench...which is what I smell happening. He was on a friggin' tear lately with Atlanta and now here he sits out his first night.

I'll tell you one thing...his defense is like watching Rudolph Nuryev at 1B. Where he ever learned to move with such grace is beyond me. (I once gave him that annalogy and, of course had to explain who Nuryev was! Then had to REALLY work it when he realized I was comparing him to a ballet dancer!:rant:But it all worked out and I just miss him in an Angels uniform).

V-Mart batted third and started at first base in his Red Sox debut against the Orioles.

He got a standing-O from Sox fans when he made his first plate appearance. That's fine and dandy, BUT the game is at Camden Yards (aka Fenway South), not Fenway Park.:D

BTW, Martinez got an RBI single tonight.

Also, Justin Masterson made his Indians debut tonight. Justin pitched three shutout innings in relief, and struck out four. Good for him! :up

The Orioles pitching SUCKS!! Am I allowed to say that here?

What is the record for most runs given up by a starting pitcher in a game in which he got the win? Buckholtz can give up 20 runs today and win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts