AL EAST 2009

Welcome to Boston, Victor Martinez!!!

All V-Mart did today was go 5 for 6 (would have been 6-6 if it wasn't for a great catch by Nick Markakis), with 4 RBI's!

It was Martinez' first five hit game since July 4, 2006.

All V-Mart did today was go 5 for 6 (would have been 6-6 if it wasn't for a great catch by Nick Markakis), with 4 RBI's!

:up:up:D:D What a great start for him in the new colors! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of the same from him!

:up:up:D:D What a great start for him in the new colors! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of the same from him!

Same here! :up

He seems like such a great guy too, that's a plus.

I'm also loving this new kid Reddick.

I know it's only two games against the Orioles, but he looked very impressive this weekend!

The Red Sox are now entering, by far, their toughest stretch of schedule for the season.

Of the Sox next 41 games, 33 of them are against teams over .500. We'll know a lot about this team on the morning of Sept. 18.

The Sox schedule breakdown between now and then:
Tampa Bay- 8 games
Yankees- 7 games
Detroit- 4 games
Texas- 3 games
White Sox- 8 games
Angels- 3 games

The Sox only games against teams under .500 between now and Sept.18:
Toronto- 6 games
Baltimore- 2 games

I saw that Dice-K was moved to the 60 day disabled list, which surprised me because the only previous report I had seen on him, from July 12th, said he was looking good in his minor league rehab stint.

Last edited:
I saw that Dice-K was moved to the 60 day disabled list, which surprised me because the only previous report I had seen on him, from July 12th, said he was looking good at his minor league rehab start.

I was also surprised by that.

I'm wondering if the Sox aren't putting the screws to Dice-K because of his recent comments.

Hmmmmmm...........................................

I just did a little more research, and I now suspect that it was simply a necessary tactical maneuver, as his placement on the 60 day list appears to be retroactive to June 21st, which was the day he was first placed on a 15 day disabled list. He will be eligible to come off the 60 day disabled list on August 18th. The stories did not mention any rehab problems.

I just did a little more research, and I now suspect that it was simply a necessary tactical maneuver, as his placement on the 60 day list appears to be retroactive to June 21st, which was the day he was first placed on a 15 day disabled list. He will be eligible to come off the 60 day disabled list on August 18th. The stories did not mention any rehab problems.

Okay, that makes sense then.

It must have been to free a spot on the 40 man roster for one of the new guys (V-Mart, Kotchman or Reddick).

Great performance! I think you guys just found your new Catcher. I know Francona is very loyal, almost to a fault. But, bottom line, you'll be a much better team with V-Mart in the lineup on a daily basis over Varitek. Especially on offense! Victor is a legit #3 switch hitter. He is the perfect fit in the middle of that order.

Tonight's Sox lineup. Bay is still out, but Drew is back:

1. Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
2. Dustin Pedroia, 2B
3. Victor Martinez, 1B
4. Kevin Youkilis, 3B
5. David Ortiz, DH
6. J.D. Drew, RF
7. Jason Varitek, C
8. Josh Reddick, LF
9. Nick Green, SS
-- Jon Lester, SP

Tonight's Sox lineup. Bay is still out, but Drew is back:

1. Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
2. Dustin Pedroia, 2B
3. Victor Martinez, 1B
4. Kevin Youkilis, 3B
5. David Ortiz, DH
6. J.D. Drew, RF
7. Jason Varitek, C
8. Josh Reddick, LF
9. Nick Green, SS
-- Jon Lester, SP

I'm loving this Reddick kid!! :up

Considering that Bay has been the least productive outfielder in the Amrerican League for the last month and a half, he won't be missed.

A couple of decades ago, before the steroids eras, Bill James once published his findings on the correllation between a hitter's lifetime season averages and his typical range of deviation. I don't remember exactly what his findings were, but roughly, established hitters tend to hit within about 10 points of their lifetime batting average, and their power numbers tend to fluctuate similarly.

While Boston fans enjoyed seeing Bay hit like Ramirez for a few spurts, the fact is, he is just Jason Bay.

Red Sox signed SP Paul Byrd to a minor league contract.

Byrd is expected to join the Red Sox around September 1. He will pitch in the minor leagues until then.

Thu, 08/06/2009 - 4:22pm

UPDATED - Baldelli to the D.L., Reddick recalled

By: Rob Bradford

NEW YORK -- The Red Sox will place outfielder Rocco Baldelli on the disabled list due to an injured left ankle. He fouled a pitch off of his ankle prior to Wednesday's game against the Tampa Bay Rays, resulting in a bad bruise and overnight swelling. In Baldelli's place, the team has recalled outfielder Josh Reddick one day after optioning him to Triple-A Pawtucket.

The Sox are facing a major dilemma in the outfield, as they start their big four game series against the Yankees.

Not only is Baldelli disabled, Jason Bay and J.D. Drew are both battling injuries. And remember, the Red Sox traded away Mark Kotsay a couple of weeks ago.

Tonight's Sox lineup:

1. Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
2. Dustin Pedroia, 2B
3. Victor Martinez, C
4. Kevin Youkilis, LF
5. David Ortiz, DH
6. J.D. Drew, RF
7. Mike Lowell, 3B
8. Casey Kotchman, 1B
9. Jed Lowrie, SS
-- John Smoltz, SP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)