Aljazeera feeds

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hvcomputech

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 20, 2010
NY, US
How convenient, looks like no US-based communications companies have any interest in adding al-jazeera english to their systems. At least LinkTV shows it once in a while. Like i have said before, news programs here are entertainment shows with endless reruns of "news". Breaking news has lost its meaning. Local TV only talks about disasters.

<quote>
Comcast: &ldquo;We do not currently carry Al Jazeera English as a cable channel, but we do carry it as part of a multicast feed from a public broadcaster in the Washington, D.C. area, and we understand they may have multicast agreements with other broadcasters.&rdquo;

DirecTV: &ldquo;We have no plans to carry Al Jazeera English on DIRECTV at this time.&rdquo;

Dish Network: &ldquo;We don&rsquo;t carry Al Jazeera English. We do carry Al Jazeera Arabic and Al Jazeera Sport in our Arabic packages. We have no announcements about carrying any new Al Jazeera channels at this time. We always evaluate how we can enhance our line-up.&rdquo;

Time Warner Cable: &ldquo;We don&rsquo;t have a carriage agreement with Al Jazeera English, but our customers can view this programming for free online. We remain willing to talk with them, or any other programming provider, for carriage of their network.&rdquo;

Cox: &ldquo;I can confirm that Cox does not carry Al Jazeera English on our cable line-up.&rdquo;

Charter: &ldquo;We haven&rsquo;t had any contact with them in the past week. Over the years we&rsquo;ve talked to them on occasion, but not on a regular basis.&rdquo;

Verizon: &ldquo;Verizon FiOS TV offers a robust international offering, but that does not currently include Al Jazeera English. We receive requests for many channels, including Al Jazeera English, and we make those requests part of our decision-making process. For example, we&rsquo;ve received requests for other Middle Eastern channels like Rangarang, Kuwait TV and ART, all of which we carry. We&rsquo;ll continue to evaluate additions to our FiOS TV lineup against expressed customer interests as well as other factors.&rdquo;

Cablevision: &ldquo;Cablevision is always evaluating the channels we carry, based on consumer interest and other factors. Today, our customers receive more than a dozen dedicated news and information networks, with additional news programming available on many other channels.&rdquo;

AT&T: &ldquo;We don&rsquo;t carry Al Jazeera, but we do offer ART (Arabic Radio &Television). We&rsquo;re constantly expanding our U-verse TV channel lineup, but we don&rsquo;t provide details on our programming discussions.&rdquo;

Bright House: Did not respond to a request for comment.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/01/al-jazeera-finds-new-paths-in-u-s/
Feb 1, 2011 </quote>

Al Jazeera is all over C band and Ku band for free. If you really want the best news coverage for any world events you need to put up a bud. It will give you stuff you would never thought was possible. I've covered world news events since 1987 with my bud, You get live feeds of things as they happen. Just like the earthquake in Japan this morning. Fired up the bud went to Intelsat 9, live feeds all over the place. DirecTV is no more than cable from the skys and offers the mainstream cable channels. That's all it will ever be.

ROKU has ALOT of international news feeds (all free) no need for a big ugly bud!! The internet is the new CBAND

You don't get the backhauls on the internet like you do on the bud. Anything that shows up on the internet comes from a C band source. In fact DirecTV would not be possible if it wasn't for c band. Where do you think all those cable channels are coming from? The internet? I think not. If it weren't for the BUD Direct would have nothing but color bars and in house channels up. C band is the broadcast standard, all networks use it.

How convenient, looks like no US-based communications companies have any interest in adding al-jazeera english to their systems.

Obviously it is a massive conspiracy.

Strangely enough, I stopped at Burger King this morning to get some coffee and out of the 25 people in there, 25 of them were saying they wanted DirecTV to add al-jazeera (it was rude of me to listen in, but I needed to get a feel and report back here.)

The fact that the corporate oligarchy is suppressing the clear desire of the American people to get this channel, frightens me.

Edit: On a side note, the Burger King in question seems to have been taken out by a predator drone. Guess I'll have to get my coffee from McDonalds tomorrow.

a 30" dish can get you Al Jazeera English,. Russia Today, PressTV, CCTV 4 & 9 and raw news feeds too :)

could care less about that channel if any provider carries it and puts it in a package i will boycott them or block it if its put in a package:) there is other channels we need like national hd channels that have been mentioned before :)

Why boycott it?
It is a very good news channel that gives you a heckuva lot better world coverage than the US news channels.

And a SD channel can be added rather easily. HD needs bandwidth

could care less about that channel if any provider carries it and puts it in a package i will boycott them or block it if its put in a package:) there is other channels we need like national hd channels that have been mentioned before :)
I couldn't disagree more. Al Jazeera's excellent news coverage is much more important than adding another HD channel.

You don't get the backhauls on the internet like you do on the bud. Anything that shows up on the internet comes from a C band source. In fact DirecTV would not be possible if it wasn't for c band. Where do you think all those cable channels are coming from? The internet? I think not. If it weren't for the BUD Direct would have nothing but color bars and in house channels up. C band is the broadcast standard, all networks use it.

Not quite accurate. They also get feeds via local fiber loops and national fiber loops from Vyvx, ect.

Not quite accurate. They also get feeds via local fiber loops and national fiber loops from Vyvx, ect.

Fiber does play a role these days although C and Ku band are used for fast setups at locations to get the info out as it happens. There's no fiber connection in most of those instances.

Al Jazeera English In Talks With Comcast, Time Warner

Al Jazeera English may be coming to American television screens. The Qatar-based network is currently in talks with cable giants Comcast and Time Warner, creating a groundswell of enthusiasm among American news junkies and a collective groan from right-leaning conservative activists. At the moment, Al Jazeera English is only available on a handful of local cable outlets in Washington

CNN, MSNBC and faux most likely have something in their contracts with providers that specifically bars AJE from carriage because the big 3 commercial operations do not want the competition from any non commercial news channels like BBC world, NHK World, AJE, DWTV and various others. CCTV9 China's english language govt news channel ch 265 dish, 2053 directv is carried because they pay the same way the shopping channels pay for inclusion/carriage.

CNN, MSNBC and faux most likely have something in their contracts with providers that specifically bars AJE from carriage because the big 3 commercial operations do not want the competition from any non commercial news channels like BBC world, NHK World, AJE, DWTV and various others. CCTV9 China's english language govt news channel ch 265 dish, 2053 directv is carried because they pay the same way the shopping channels pay for inclusion/carriage.
Haller is this you?

Ha, Ha, but No. As I have stated in the past be careful what you wish for, the day dish and directv carry AJE will cause the FTA KU band turn around @ 97 from the Americas C band feed at 58w to be encrypted for force of contract. Anybody that wants AJE should get a $150 FTA KU band setup for 97 west or watch over the internet if they have high speed access.

Ha, Ha, but No. As I have stated in the past be careful what you wish for, the day dish and directv carry AJE will cause the FTA KU band turn around @ 97 from the Americas C band feed at 58w to be encrypted for force of contract. Anybody that wants AJE should get a $150 FTA KU band setup for 97 west or watch over the internet if they have high speed access.

I totally agree. If you go over to the FTA area on Satguys you can find ways of putting stuff together for nickels and dimes to get 97 west. They use simple mpeg 2 DVB-S. I was at a thrift store a few weeks back and they had 2 Pansat 2500's for $5.00 each. You can get something like that toss a linear LNBF on even an old pizza dish and get 97w. It could be got for less than a good meal in a restaurant costs.
Plus you get Russia Today (great news channel) and Press Tv.

Wow thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated. I'd like to see other news orgs too but I have been extremely impressed with al-jazeera's coverage of world events on the "internets".

Boycott? You could just block it, or get a fresh perspective. ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts