All Recordings Deleted – Is an Update the Reason?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jyafink

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
On 09/21 I got a message that said:

We've updated your receiver with new features:
One touch record
Focus your guide on HD...
Improved speed...
Game search...

A few minutes later I went to my list and everything recorded and set to record was gone. Basically, all my settings went back to the out-of-the box settings. Is the update the problem and if so, is this a normal occurrence? It only happened on one HD DVR and not the other (the other never got the update message). I called D* and of course they said they never heard of anything like that ever happening. I've only been a customer for five weeks now and stuff like this happening isn’t making me happy.

It is very unusual, but it can happen if there was a data corruption.

In two years of frequent software updates (part of their software trial program), I've personally had it happen once (and I have 3 receivers that I update weekly).

I've only heard of it happening to one other person.

So, yes, it can happen, but it would be very rare.

Your recordings should not be erased after an update UNLESS you were using a CE release. Some of them will remove recordings if you go back to a national release.

As far as your list, It may not show scheduled recordings until the guide populates. This may take awhile as the unit downloads guide data.

Thanks, but what are the different types of releases (i.e. CE means?) I'm still a relative newbie.

I had this happen to me recently and like you, I thought I had lost all of my recordings. It wouldn't have been the first time as my hard drive got fried about a year ago and lost everything. Perfect timing because I then added the HD receiver.

My suggestion would be to go through a reset -- if you haven't already done so -- by unplugging your receiver for a 30 sec. period and then plugging it back in. It should take a little time (2-3 min.) to cycle through but you should see (hopefully) your recorded programs pop back up.

Good luck!

Thanks, but what are the different types of releases (i.e. CE means?) I'm still a relative newbie.
CE is Cutting Edge and you have to be approved for the program. You are more or less beta testing for D*.

A couple clarifications:

When data becomes corrupt, the receive formats the drive on a reboot. That does not necessarily require a software upgrade, it can happen on any reboot. In normal use, however, software updates may be the only time some people's receivers are rebooted. It can happen to anyone, not just CE users.

The CE program is open to anyone who is interested, it is testing future software releases for DirecTV and providing feedback. This makes the software much more stable before it goes out to all the customers. If you are interested, see the link in my signature.

It happened again last weekend but this time I only lost about six recordings. Tech support at D* said it sounds like a software problem is causing a memory dump. The first time it was a complete dump, the second time only a partial dump. He gave no solutions except to do a total reset but that would mean losing everything else I have recorded. If it keeps doing I'll have no choice but to try it.

Hurricane IKE reset my HR21

When I returned to Houston after the hurricane, I found that my receiver had reset to an initial state. All recordings, timers, and favorites were gone. I was without power for several days. Other than this, I'm not sure what might have caused this.

I still have my recordings, but all the shows in the Prioritizer got deleted somehow.

Gotta love technology.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)