All SLINGS are not created equal! 922 vs PRO-HD The ultimate guide work in progress

jaj1701

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Rochester, MN DMA #153
First off, excuse the pun!

Now, I need the help of people in the know to make this worthwhile!

So, one of the most talked about features of the upcoming 922 is that it has integrated Sling technology. There seem to be a lot of questions concerning the advantage of getting the Slingloaded 922 compared to a VIP receiver + a SlingBox PRO-HD........STRICTLY FROM A SLING PERSPECTIVE.

Ability to sling..... Slingloaded 922 VIP + Slingbox Pro-HD

Locally to SlingPlayer PC or wi-fi phone YES YES
Via web to PC, Mobile Phone, etc YES YES
SlingCatcher locally unknown YES (enhanced SD only)
SlingCatcher via the web unknown YES (enhanced SD only)
Other sources (DVD, Security Cam, etc) NO YES
via web at SD* quality (256mb+ up) YES YES
via web at HD* quality (1.5mb+ up) YES YES
Clear QAM and NTSC NO YES
ATSC YES YES

922 answers based on prior posts by other users or educated guesses at this point
* Based on SlingMedia's definition of SD and HD streaming

Other advantages to the SlingBox + Vip Receiver solution (what else did I miss?)

No $10/mo Advanced DVR charge, only $6 if DVRs on the account, $0 w/o DVRs
No $21/mo receiver fee (after 1st) for essentially a SoloDVR w/sling. The essentially same Sling functionality could be had from a $7/mo 211k and a PRO-HD
Established technology, the 922 may (will) be buggy for a while

Other advantages to the Slingloaded 922 (what else did I miss?)

One box. No IR Blasting.
No additional hardware required to continue to use UHF remotes with IR based SlingBox.

Other questions.....(what else needs to be addressed?)

No free support from SlingMedia after 90 on standalone boxes. Will the sling support on the 922 be free as long as it's subscribed?

So, please help me make this useful and correct me on any assumptions that are incorrect or can't be confirmed at this time.

Thanks,

Jason

** I will continue to update this post as information is presented. MODS, feel free to edit this as well **

*** If there is a limit to how long a old post can be edited....I'll keep updating in new posts until it's to a final point that it deserves a new post. ***

Last edited:
In regards to "Locally to SlingPlayer PC or wi-fi phone NO? YES"

The answer to both is yes.

Thanks Scott. The only reason I said no was you had made a comment in another thread where you made it sound like an advantage of the 722+PRO-HD was that he could use existing SlingPlayer software with the 722+PRO-HD. Thought perhaps they were blocking local network access to the sling functionality.

Thanks for the clarification.

The extra $4/month is not good, but to me, the biggest problem with the 922 is the lack of some basic 622/722/722k functions, like a TV2 output and name based recording.

The extra $4/month is not good, but to me, the biggest problem with the 922 is the lack of some basic 622/722/722k functions, like a TV2 output and name based recording.

See my thread here http://satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=207593 .

I basically am bitching about the $4/mo extra DVR fee and $11/mo extra Receiver fee (over a SoloDVR). And I didn't even cover the other 622/722 features missing from the 922 besides the 2nd room functionality disappearing.

Feel free to spell those out over there if you want. How did I miss no name based recording? Yeah, glorified VCR w/sling! (ok, Scott correct that with the fact that there is name based recording....thank goodness!)

Last edited:
One question I didn't address and can't add to my original post as I can't edit it anymore..

A SlingBox like the PRO-HD only allows one sling connection at one time.

Will the 922 have the same restriction....either from HDTV Extenders or from SlingPlayer clients? If it allows more then one (even if they are viewing the same material), that would be a plus for the 922.

Scott, when you said when they have TV2 workign, it will be HD......would the COAX output HD via QAM or ATSC? Were there any changes to the "production" box from the port configuration shown in the Feature Sheet PDF from a year ago or is TV2 still a coax and a set of composite outputs?

Do current Duo receivers put out SD via NTSC on the COAX?

TV2 is only via Sling (at this time). No traditional TV2 outputs, although the connections and all hardware are still there. :confused:

Brad

Brad,

I was responding to Scotts claim that TV2 might eventually be HD. I know that the hardware is still there for TV2(unused), but it is SD output. I was wondering how TV2, if implemented in the future as FULL HD, would be done without changing the TV2 outputs from SD to HD.

I have reread Scott's posting. I misunderstood it. I guess he meant that TV2 would be in HD, but by using Sling built into the 922. I thought that it was already implemented and working that way now. Sorry for the confusion.

The 922 would have been a far better box if it had 2 HDMI outputs (TV1/TV2) and SlingHD for a TV3.

I realise that there are issues getting HDMI to a second room, but it is possible with 2 cat 6 cables fairly cheaply ($50-$100). More expensive solutions include HDMI over coax ($250), and HDMI over power lines ($250 but power line transmission varies depending on your house).

I have reread Scott's posting. I misunderstood it. I guess he meant that TV2 would be in HD, but by using Sling built into the 922. I thought that it was already implemented and working that way now. Sorry for the confusion.

No, that part (the 2nd room HD via sling) is working....so I think your initial assumption was correct.

No, that part (the 2nd room HD via sling) is working....so I think your initial assumption was correct.

I'm not so sure. If the 922 is contemplating output to two independent HD streams (not counting the Sling) that is BIG news. It would deserve to be placed on page one or at least have its own thread and not buried stealthily in another thread. Unless Scott is just leaving little hints here and there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)