almost Cband55's question But

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Apprentice

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Wichita Kansas
If you only had a single dish and no motor and only KU what sat would you point it at till you could do something different?

I have reflashed the CS4000 I got back to factory and it is working great on what I can test. but I will not be able to do more than one dish and no motor for now at least.

Chuck

G19 @ 97° west?
148 channels, 28 in English.
Nice assortment of channels to learn and play with.

edit:
I won't suggest PBS channels on AMC-21 @ 125° west, because you'd need AC3 decoder.
Of course, if you have that, and you are in the sticks and PBS-less, this might be a consideration. ;)

Last edited:
This is hard to answer for someone else taste, we're all different you know? Anole's answer is about as good of one as you might get. On that satellite, I personally like the Radio side from it. On the TV side, I watch the news channels found there.
I would suggest 129w, it only has one channel, but if you like old movies then White Springs TV is for you.
Also, if you're into old TV shows, like possibly found on TVLand (or at least somewhat similar), then 83w has RTV (Retro Television Network).
Depending on your taste, should decide which sat you prefer to point at, lots of good stuff up there.
Good Luck on a very hard decision....!

97°W is a decent choice unless you hate news channels.

Russia Today -- in English, Russia's spin on the news.
Al Jazeera English -- Middle Eastern news.
Press TV -- News / politics in English. Out of Iran I think.
MHZ Worldview -- various types of programming, often in English.
Myx USA -- Music videos and such. Sort of like MTV back in the day.
Kuwait 2 -- Often has movies with English audio and Arabic subtitles.
Tele Culture -- Seems to have English shows. (Kind of HGTV like I recall)

I am sure the taste in what people like to watch is greatly varied. I don't imagine that it will stay just one Sat for very long but at least to start with something that we can turn on and watch. Right now I don't even OTA signals. We are close enough just have lost of money going to hospital bills ect. I am sure you all know what that is like. I have the free dish that a friend is giving me but weather has sucked here in Kansas. Sooo have not gotten it taken down and remounted yet.

Anyone ever put dishes on a 35 to 45 foot free standing tower? lol I was thinking of having one of the fab people make me some mounts to do this. That way I can get over the trees and maybe put a couple dishes on it to supply whole house TV.

Chuck

I would strongly recommend you put your first dish on a pole in the ground.
At the north end of your property, if necessary for LOS.
It's easier to take your receiver out to it to get it aligned.
Once you have some experience, then maybe up on the roof...
... but up a tower? No way, not 'till you're seasoned.
Don't want to see you get hurt,,, nor frustrated. - :rolleyes:

By pure luck, the 97° west satellite is your True South,
so it will be at maximum elevation (easier shot over the trees), and close to zero skew! - :up

Code:
[FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=2]       
                      Wichita, Sedgwick, Kansas 67055
                Latitude 37° 47.001'N Longitude 97° 12.324'W

Sat Name, Sat Lng, Az(t), Az(m),    El,  Skew
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                             Telstar 5,   97.0W, 179.7, 175.3,  46.2,  -0.3

[/SIZE][/FONT]

That works out well for me :)

I would not climb it. I would bring home the lift to make it easy on me and use an installer friends sat meter. Always use all the resources you can if it makes it easy.

I am crazy but not totally yet :D

When my motor was acting up I parked a dish on 97W and piggy-backed my Voom dish on the pole for 119 (Nasa).

Today I'd probably park on 101.

Yup I would say that is a close guess lol. I have been going throught the list of both sats and both have plus and minus sides I guess. Real answer is to hurry up and get a motor lol or another dish.

So far my wife just looks at me and walks off. But once I get it up and running she will find things to watch and then will be mad if it don't work lol. Oh well so far I have ION tv and Nasa and angel one or something. Not quite sure how I got ION TV??

It is just 119 probably as it is hooked to the DN dish that was already here :( I am going to get another that was given to me but I have to get it taken down first. I don't have many parts of the FTA system yet other than the CS4000 that I flashed back to factory settings. But hey ION has a couple decent shows in the evenings so not all bad. but will be really happy when I can do some real scanning.

Just playing with this little bit is interesting and lets me get used to how to operate the CS4000. Someday soon I hope to be a full fledged Sat Guy lol

Chuck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts