AM21 Hiding Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'd like to do this myself, without the help of coconut (unless I absolutely need him), so I know there a like three websites that were posted before on how to look up zip codes and fill them in case a new channel shows up in my area. Can someone repost those websites for me? Thank you.

I have an answer for the (sh)AM21 too ....

After years of putting up with it's inability to do true OTA scans and the long obsolescence of its off-air database. Just got fed up with the whole thing and ditched it altogether for a TIVO Roamio OTA for all my off-air recordings.

Though a separate system/service not integrated into DIRECTV's GUI of course, I find it be an excellent OTA solution with true off-air scanning, accurate up to date guide data, 500 GB HDD, 4 ATSC tuners, integrated OTT streaming services, network ability etc.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk
I use both my TiVo Roamio (not a TiVo Roamio OTA) and the DirecTV AM21 for OTA. And I agree, the Roamio is much better. (Although occasionally Tribune goofs up the guide temporarily and moves a station temporarily when it shouldn't. This happened to me twice. It's also missing 18-99, a KYIN station, from the database.)

What is the website to match OTA from different areas? I live in Des Moines and I would love to be able to add the sub channels that are here since D* won't do it.
Thanks

What is the website to match OTA from different areas? I live in Des Moines and I would love to be able to add the sub channels that are here since D* won't do it.
Thanks
I did a quick study. According to what I see 8.3 RF8 Heroes and Icons, 13.3 RF13 AntennaTV, and 17.3 RF16 GRIT are not in the database for Des Moines. By looking quickly I don't think you can match any of the channels to get the correct guide on any of them. But by running Fargo ND (58102) as a secondary zip you should pick up all 3 channels with incorrect guides. You should be able to view and record, but you will have the Fargo guide on all 3 channels, which is incorrect for all 3 channels.

Reactions: sswheeler
I did a quick study. According to what I see 8.3 RF8 Heroes and Icons, 13.3 RF13 AntennaTV, and 17.3 RF16 GRIT are not in the database for Des Moines. By looking quickly I don't think you can match any of the channels to get the correct guide on any of them. But by running Fargo ND (58102) as a secondary zip you should pick up all 3 channels with incorrect guides. You should be able to view and record, but you will have the Fargo guide on all 3 channels, which is incorrect for all 3 channels.
Hey coconut, can you tell me the websites or whatever you use to research this? I want to do this for myself in case any new stations show in my area. I don't want to rely too much on you or anyone here (unless I absolutely need to), but thanks for the past help, BTW.

Thank you for the info.

To access a copy of the database, go to DBSTalk. Look for the Directv Tips and Tricks section and the section in it called something like Transponder Maps. Download the Excel file that is "domestic". Open said document, look under the "OTA" tab. They update the spreadsheet weekly, but since they don't add to the database, you don't need to download it more than once (unless something changes...). I just google "Grit affiliates Wikipedia" and a list of all the affiliates shows up. If you find another on the same PSIP (or RF) exact channel (5-3 for example) - search for said affiliate in the database.

Rinse and repeat for all missing channels. If you're not lucky enough to find a missing affiliate, just match something that it will recognize.

Hey coconut, can you tell me the websites or whatever you use to research this? I want to do this for myself in case any new stations show in my area. I don't want to rely too much on you or anyone here (unless I absolutely need to), but thanks for the past help, BTW.
The DBSTalk website gives you the D* database of channels for the AM21. I like to use the RabbitEars.info website for any given cities channel lineup and to find what channel and RF channel station affliates are being broadcast on. I use the www.zip-codes.com/ website to look zip codes up for any city. Plus you can also go to any station (METV, AntennaTV) etc. on Wikipedia and learn about where the affliates are being carried.

The DBSTalk website gives you the D* database of channels for the AM21. I like to use the RabbitEars.info website for any given cities channel lineup and to find what channel and RF channel station affliates are being broadcast on. I use the www.zip-codes.com/ website to look zip codes up for any city. Plus you can also go to any station (METV, AntennaTV) etc. on Wikipedia and learn about where the affliates are being carried.
Hey coconut (sorry haven't been here in a while) I went to the dbstalk website and can't find it. Could you provide a link? BTW, do you have a zip code for Twin Cities station WCCO 4.2 Decades station (preferably Decades itself)? You probably already have that zip code.

Hey coconut (sorry haven't been here in a while) I went to the dbstalk website and can't find it. Could you provide a link? BTW, do you have a zip code for Twin Cities station WCCO 4.2 Decades station (preferably Decades itself)? You probably already have that zip code.
Actually, now that I did the research, I have a zip code for 4.2 WCCO! Not the right guide data but it works! It takes a while to go through the list (I wish it was in some particular order, such as alphabetically), but anyways I got it done! I thought it'd be really hard, but it's really simple! Thanks for all your help coconut, but I think now if new channels show up I can do it on my own with this info you guys gave me!

Actually, now that I did the research, I have a zip code for 4.2 WCCO! Not the right guide data but it works! It takes a while to go through the list (I wish it was in some particular order, such as alphabetically), but anyways I got it done! I thought it'd be really hard, but it's really simple! Thanks for all your help coconut, but I think now if new channels show up I can do it on my own with this info you guys gave me!
Here's a little trick I use to my advantage. Since there are no zip codes to match 4.2 in the Twin Cities to get the correct Decades guide I use a zip with a guide that is useful to me. In this instance I use Greenville SC (29601) to get 4.2 in my DVR/AM21. Greenville carries MOVIES on 4.2 and that puts the Movies guide in my DVR. Movies is carried on 9.3 in the Twin Cities and you can get 9.3, but there is no way to get the Movies guide on that channel. So this is the next best thing by putting a guide in my DVR albeit on a different channel. I use Sacramento CA (94203) to get the Decades guide in my DVR. My antenna picks up the low power stations of 25.1 RF25 Telemundo and 25.2 RF25 DRTV broadcast out of the Twin Cities, since Sacramento carries Decades on 13.2 RF25 my AM21 picks that channel up and puts the Decades guide on 25.2 for me. Not a perfect scenario, but at least you can reference a guide for the channel (Decades). I have 3 channels with guides on different channels. Like I say, not the way it should have to be, but better than nothing.

Here's a little trick I use to my advantage. Since there are no zip codes to match 4.2 in the Twin Cities to get the correct Decades guide I use a zip with a guide that is useful to me. In this instance I use Greenville SC (29601) to get 4.2 in my DVR/AM21. Greenville carries MOVIES on 4.2 and that puts the Movies guide in my DVR. Movies is carried on 9.3 in the Twin Cities and you can get 9.3, but there is no way to get the Movies guide on that channel. So this is the next best thing by putting a guide in my DVR albeit on a different channel. I use Sacramento CA (94203) to get the Decades guide in my DVR. My antenna picks up the low power stations of 25.1 RF25 Telemundo and 25.2 RF25 DRTV broadcast out of the Twin Cities, since Sacramento carries Decades on 13.2 RF25 my AM21 picks that channel up and puts the Decades guide on 25.2 for me. Not a perfect scenario, but at least you can reference a guide for the channel (Decades). I have 3 channels with guides on different channels. Like I say, not the way it should have to be, but better than nothing.
Thanks for the input coconut! 25.1 and 25.2 are La Crosse, WI channels for me, but that little tidbit will help a lot!

Thanks for the input coconut! 25.1 and 25.2 are La Crosse, WI channels for me, but that little tidbit will help a lot!
La Crosse's channel 25.1 and 25.2 are broadcast on RF17. So it wouldn't work to use Sacramento. It works for the Twin Cities because 25.1 and 25.2 are broadcast on RF25 and the .2RF25 from Sacramento's 13.2 matches that and hence the AM21 will pick it up and put it in the DVR as channel 25.2 KOVR with Sacramento's guide (Decades) on the channel.

La Crosse's channel 25.1 and 25.2 are broadcast on RF17. So it wouldn't work to use Sacramento. It works for the Twin Cities because 25.1 and 25.2 are broadcast on RF25 and the .2RF25 from Sacramento's 13.2 matches that and hence the AM21 will pick it up and put it in the DVR as channel 25.2 KOVR with Sacramento's guide (Decades) on the channel.
I meant I receive La Crosse's 25.1 and 25.2 off my antenna, so I will never pick those 25's from the Twin Cities market. It's too weak anyways.

For the AM21 to pick up 9.3 in your instance, you have to match a secondary zip code that either has a 9.3 channel in it OR a matching .3RF channel. For instance, lets say your 9.3 channel is 9.3 RF25. You look for a any zip that has a 9.3 channel in it. OR a zip that has a .3RF25 channel in it. Any channel number will work as long as it's .3 RF25. Matching that way any channel 3.3 RF25, 23.3 RF25, 64.3 RF25 will work. This gives you the flexability to try and match the guide to your local channel. Lets say your local 9.3 is metv, if you can find a metv on either another 9.3 or a .3RF25 in another zip code the guides will match. I'm in the MPLS/STP market, I use Weslaco TX to get 5.3 METV in my market with a matching guide. I also use Little Rock AR 7.3 RF22 to get 23.3 RF22 in my market, because Little Rock carries GRIT on 7.3 matching my 23.3 local GRIT station. I use Atlanta GA to get 11.3 Justice Network which matches my local 11.3 Justice Network to get the correct guide on that channel. So by using 3 different secondary zips and matching to cities that carry the same channel, I get 5.3,11.3 and 23.3 in MPLS/STP with the correct guides in my AM21. Channels that are not in D* database for MPLS/STP.

You are my evening hero. Thanks for the legwork. Also from the TC area, have you setup a secondary for 5.6 that works for you? Thanks again!!

I get 5.6 THIS in my AM21, but it is a very unique way that probably won't work for anybody in the Twin Cities. I live 58 miles from the Shoreview towers. I live 41 miles from the Mankato/ST James towers. The Mankato tower broadcasts repeater stations of the Twin Cities stations. KSTC 5.6 is broadcast on RF45 out of the Twin Cities. Mankato broadcasts KSTC 5.6 on RF44. The AM21 database has NO MATCH for a 5.6 or a .6 RF45 channel. BUT, 52.6 RF44 WKON out of Cinncinati OH matches the .6 RF44 of the repeater station out of Mankato, which my antenna receives about 80% of the time. So by running Cinn. OH (45201) as a secondary zip code my AM21 will put 5.6 WKON in my DVR. This is contingent upon the channel (KSTC 5.6 RF44 out of Mankato tower) being received at the time the AM21 scans for its channels. It works and gives me 5.6 THIS in my DVR. The guide is wrong, but I can configure to get the THIS guide in my DVR albeit on a different channel. Like I stated before 5.3, 11.3, 23.3 are available in the Twin Cities with an AM21, with the right guides by using Weslaco TX (78520), Little Rock AR (72201), and Atlanta GA (30301) as secondary zip codes, I use Cinn. also to get 5.6 THIS. But I'm sure that won't work in the Twin Cities area, as you can't receive the transmissions from the Mankato tower

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)