AM21 Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

whitegw

Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
Texas panhandle
I have the Gene system with the AM21 off the air tuner. I have confirmed with my TV that I can receive 19 digital off the air channels. There are 6 of these channels on DirecTV satellites. I can only receive 4 of the remaining 13 on the AM21. Have contacted DirecTV support and they cannot offer any help. Does anyone have any answers to this problem? Thanks in advance.

What kind of antenna do you have connected to the AM21, and what does your tvfool.com results show for channels you can get with an antenna, where you are?

What zip code are you? And what channels are you looking for? This will tell if the channels are in D* database of channels for the AM21 and what your options are. Remember, you have to have a good antenna signal for the AM21 to work. If your TV tuner can receive the channel, chances are the AM21 will pick it up.

What zip code are you? And what channels are you looking for? This will tell if the channels are in D* database of channels for the AM21 and what your options are. Remember, you have to have a good antenna signal for the AM21 to work. If your TV tuner can receive the channel, chances are the AM21 will pick it up.
There have been some cases, where a person will have different tvsets, or even with the AM21, that the TV or AM21 will pull in certain channels, but not others. Say the TV will pull in all channels that are available, but the AM21 will not pull in say the fringe or edge channels, that the TV is pulling in.

Really need more info, such as you stated Zipcode, but also what kind of antenna (manufacturer & model#), if placed in the attic or on the roof, is it pointed the correct direction, what kind of wiring are they using with the antenna, are they using an amp, what are their tvfool results showing, for what stations they can get, by posting the info from tvfool.com.

ATSC tuners vary considerably in performance, and it is not unusual to get a low-power station on one tuner and not another. Additionally, the AM21 splits the signal internally so each tuner only sees 50% of the signal.
You need to read Broe67's post, and respond with as much info as possible.

I am in zip code 79413. Outside antenna small double bowtie with screen reflector, pointing at about 127 degrees. All stations are within 2 to 7 miles, estimate. I did a complete reset on the AM21. Stations not being received are sub-channels, 5-2, 28-2, and (LP) 48-1, my interest. Others not receive are, 14-1, 14-2, 32-1, 46-1, 51-1, and 51-2, which are spanish stations, radio with video, and shopping channels. When I look at the "edit off air channels" in my receiver menu it does not list any of these stations, but does list 11-2, 22-2, 22-3, and 34-2 which are the only stations the AM21 receives, besides the 6 primary channels which are also on the satellite. Ok Guys, what can be done about this problem? Thanks

It doesn't list the missing channels because they are not in D* database of channels for the AM21. You're in pretty good luck, though. By re-running the intial set-up on your AM21 with 79143 as your primary zip and (02108) Boston MA as your secondary zip you will get 5.2 with METV guide for that channel, 28.2 with BOUNCE, the correct guide for that channel and 48.1 with a DAYSTAR guide for that channel. So you get the 3 main channels you are looking for by using Boston's zip. The 3 channels you are getting with Bos. show the Bos. guide for those channels, but Bounce matches perfectly and METV guide is on the wrong channel, but there to view. I have to do some more looking to see about the other channels, if any zips will give you some of those channels. Will let you know after I look. Let me know if Boston gives you the channels.

Last edited:
I am in zip code 79413. Outside antenna small double bowtie with screen reflector, pointing at about 127 degrees. All stations are within 2 to 7 miles, estimate. I did a complete reset on the AM21. Stations not being received are sub-channels, 5-2, 28-2, and (LP) 48-1, my interest. Others not receive are, 14-1, 14-2, 32-1, 46-1, 51-1, and 51-2, which are spanish stations, radio with video, and shopping channels. When I look at the "edit off air channels" in my receiver menu it does not list any of these stations, but does list 11-2, 22-2, 22-3, and 34-2 which are the only stations the AM21 receives, besides the 6 primary channels which are also on the satellite. Ok Guys, what can be done about this problem? Thanks

After you run the Bos. zip, rerun intial set-up again using 79143 as primary and either 77001 Houston TX or 62521 Decatur IL. Either one of these zips should give you 14-1,14-2,51-1,51-2 with the guide for the city you choose. Some duplicate channels may appear, depending upon what channels maybe conflict with your Lubbock channels.

I did the intial reset of my AM21 using the secondary Boston zip and now have the additional channels that I want. If I decided to use either the Houston or Decatur zip would that delete the Boston zip channels? Thanks

I did the intial reset of my AM21 using the secondary Boston zip and now have the additional channels that I want. If I decided to use either the Houston or Decatur zip would that delete the Boston zip channels? Thanks
It shouldn't affect anything you already have and will probably add the 4 additional channels. Glad it worked for you. One thing to remember is, in the future after software upgrades or power outage re-boots you might lose some channels and have to go thru the same process to get the channels back.

Last edited:
I haven't reconfigured mine since they removed the "scan" function, but doesn't the Genie allow you to input two Zip Codes when you run the Antenna setup? In my case I was able to put in the zip code of the main cities for both markets in my area and add all our local channels. If it still allows that you could input your real zip code for the first one, and Boston's zip code as the second one. That should allow you to pick from both set of channels.

Thanks, coconut10. I tried the Houston zip and now I think I have all the channels in my market being picked up by the AM21. Why do you think my unit is not being updated so it will receive all of these stations in my market?

Thanks, coconut10. I tried the Houston zip and now I think I have all the channels in my market being picked up by the AM21. Why do you think my unit is not being updated so it will receive all of these stations in my market?
You're unit is fine. D* hasn't updated the database for the AM21 in quite awhile. Most of their CSR's are clueless to the AM21 and you have to do the HOKEY work around with the secondary zip code to attain certain channels in almost all markets. I don't know why they don't simplify the AM21 database to make all channels available. I guess not a big enough customer base to support the AM21 and the database, and too many channels to support to make the database like it should be. You think they could figure something out to make it work.

A different problem using the AM21

You people here seem to be pretty good with AM21 questions so I thought I would shoot this one to you. I live in the Omaha area. I have the AM-21 and DTV and an outdoor antenna which picks up all of the locals just great.

The problem is when I try and play back something recorded ONLY from 6.1, I get an instant keep or delete. I can watch the channel fine and it appears to record, but when I try to play t back, I get the IKOD. All the other local channels record and playback just fine...even the subchannel 6.2 from the same local station. I get about 12 local OTA channels.

I have hooked the AM21 up to a different satellite receiver and it does the same thing. I get proper guide data on all channels.

Thank you for any help.

Mike

:welcome to Satelliteguys Mike! Well, sort of! You have been a member for over six years and this is your first post? :)
Anyways, this is all programming from 6.1? Weird. I would try calling the local station and talking to the engineering department. They may have an answer for you. Most of those guys love to talk shop.

Has it been six years already? Haha.
Yes, I have talked to the Chief Engineer at the TV station, and he said everything is set up the same for both their main channel and sub channel.

It blows me away that all other channels work just fine, but this one doesn't record...even though while watching it is perfect!

Thanks Chip.

Mike

It sounds like this is the main channel for WOWT, yes? If so, do you have the same problem recording from the satellite?

Yes, this is true. Our main channel for NBC (I believe). Satellite records just fine. Just the OTA problem. I have excellent signal strength on all locals.

Very odd problem.

Mike

Well, it sounds like there is something in the ota datastream that the AM21 doesn't like.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts