Status
Please reply by conversation.

fuzzy

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 26, 2004
charlottsville,va
will the turner scan for locals on a hr34 or hr44 or will it use the pre determined channels as per directv

Predetermined channels based off you zip code you put in. I don't have one but I believe you can add 2 zip codes

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The AM21 used to scan with the HR34, but that feature has been disabled in the software. I suppose there is a chance it will be enabled again.

I wish they'd come out with a smaller option for the dongle, like the little Dish tuners.

Isnt there an issue using the AM21 with an HR44 because of the power brick?

The scan feature being removed doesn't really diminish what the AM21 can do. Almost all channels not available in D* database of channels for any given DMA are available, if you use remote zip codes. It's time consuming and a PITA, but can be done.

OTA is not something DirecTV is doing much to improve at this point. No update to the several year old AM21 (N just changed from glossy to matte plastic). They had scanning in the Genie software and removed it (customer's call about channels that have no guide data, so it is just easier for DirecTV to remove than explain why some channels don't have guide data).
HR44 is a much smaller box, and different power adapter. Their solution to that was to add a plastic cap the the AM21 box to cover the different power cord when using it with an HR44 (or H25).

Still only two local markets, zip code based, and no channel updates (except just a few) in years now as for guide data.

Needless to say, support OTA is not much of a priority for Directv.

You can add as many markets as you want. It is simply wrong that you can only add two. Just keep re-running the initial set up with a new "Secondary" zip each time and you can add a 3rd DMA or use other markets to "fill in" subchannels that are missing in your area.

but if you use a wrong zip code not for your area wont the information be wrong in the guide?

i am just happy directv has my market in the list since they do not carry my locals on satellite yet. But my market is a whole 2 channels of cbs and nbc.

You won't get the program in the guide, but you will get the local channel on the same frequency.

Yes, you will physically see the local channel when you tune to the channel you "force" in. If you're lucky you can find another market with the same subchannel on the same PSIP channel (like another city with MeTV on 50-2, for example) BUT if you can't, then, yes the guide info will be wrong. It's not ideal but better than nothing.

D* may not have to care about the AM21 or OTA. Congress is re-opening the satellite and cable re-authorization, and may address local channels and markets. Probably not this year, but certainly in the next two...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)