Amazing Ty Cobb Comparison

cjwct

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Glastonbury, CT
In his first 1000 games, Cobb had 106 triples and 391 stolen bases ... quite impressive; right? Jose Reyes of my beloved Mets, who has been plagued by injury for past two years, had 98 triples and 360 stolen bases in his first 1000 games ... amazing!!!

In his first 1000 games, Cobb had 106 triples and 391 stolen bases ... quite impressive; right? Jose Reyes of my beloved Mets, who has been plagued by injury for past two years, had 98 triples and 360 stolen bases in his first 1000 games ... amazing!!!

I find it REALLY HARD to compare eras like that ....

EVERYTHING is much harder NOW than it was back then, with how specialized the game has gotten in the last 20-30 years.

EVERYTHING is much harder NOW than it was back then, with how specialized the game has gotten in the last 20-30 years.
They are both impressive numbers despite the era :p

I was thinking the same, but with differences in type of pitching, ballpark dimensions, etc. it is still quite impressive.

Jimbo said:

But the pitching is much more watered down than it was back then...also, Cobb played during the so called "dead ball" era...so it evens out.

When it comes down to it, Reyes is an impressive ball player that NEEDS to be re signed by the Mets, no two ways about it. There is no way the Mets could not justify not resigning him to their fanbase and season ticket holders.

Is it safe to say Reyes is the best and most important player in that entire franchise... from rookie league to the majors?

Back when Cobb played though, they would spit on the ball, spike it and do anything they could to break it down. They played most of his career with just one ball per game unless it got lost.

But the pitching is much more watered down than it was back then...also, Cobb played during the so called "dead ball" era...so it evens out.

When it comes down to it, Reyes is an impressive ball player that NEEDS to be re signed by the Mets, no two ways about it. There is no way the Mets could not justify not resigning him to their fanbase and season ticket holders.

Is it safe to say Reyes is the best and most important player in that entire franchise... from rookie league to the majors?

I don't see Reyes re-signing with the Mets, but at this point they can't trade him either. Their surprising 'success' (let's keep things in perspective, they're two games over .500, not 22) has put the Mets in a weird position. Their position all along was going to be to unload Reyes, Beltran, Rodriguez, and Bay (if they could find someone who would take his contract) this summer, and re-stock with an eye toward 2013.

But at this point, if the Mets trade Reyes while he's having a historical season, Met fans would riot. They may even have to hold onto the other guys for the rest of the season too.

Sandra

I don't see Reyes re-signing with the Mets, but at this point they can't trade him either. Their surprising 'success' (let's keep things in perspective, they're two games over .500, not 22) has put the Mets in a weird position. Their position all along was going to be to unload Reyes, Beltran, Rodriguez, and Bay (if they could find someone who would take his contract) this summer, and re-stock with an eye toward 2013.

But at this point, if the Mets trade Reyes while he's having a historical season, Met fans would riot. They may even have to hold onto the other guys for the rest of the season too.

Sandra

I think they keep Reyes and Bay(and Bay only because NO ONE will want that contract).

I think they keep Reyes and Bay(and Bay only because NO ONE will want that contract).

They'll have no choice on Bay, but they'll probably keep Reyes, unless the bottom falls out and the Mets drop out of wild card contention in a hurry. Don't see that happening, with the way they've been putting up football scores recently and have also been getting good pitching.

Signing Reyes after he becomes a free agent, however, is a whole 'nother story. Don't see that happening for the Mets.

Sandra

They'll have no choice on Bay, but they'll probably keep Reyes, unless the bottom falls out and the Mets drop out of wild card contention in a hurry. Don't see that happening, with the way they've been putting up football scores recently and have also been getting good pitching.

Signing Reyes after he becomes a free agent, however, is a whole 'nother story. Don't see that happening for the Mets.

Sandra

So, let's say they become sellers for whatever reason, you know they won't be able to move Bay unless they eat half that contract(if not more), do you trade him knowing he may not re-sign?

So, let's say they become sellers for whatever reason, you know they won't be able to move Bay unless they eat half that contract(if not more), do you trade him knowing he may not re-sign?

Reyes is most likely not re-signing with the Mets whether they trade him or not. If they Mets go crazy and make the playoffs or something (and the fans start filling up Citi Field again) I suppose it's not out of the question, but it would still be a long shot.

The only thing the Mets can do right now is hold onto him for the rest of the season so as to not alienate their fanbase any more than they already have, and when he becomes a free agent make an offer that would be considered fair. If another team blows them out of the water with Carl Crawford money (which is quite possible), so be it.

Sandra

As a die hard Mets fan I am going to be realistic: playoffs or not, we are not going to win the World Series. With that being said, we have to stop fooling ourselves as we have done in recent history, and sell. First, we package Bay with Beltran to an AL team and take a hit on Bays contract. Two, we resign Reyes to 2 - 3 years deal loaded with bonuses/options. His wife and him love LI and the school system for their children, so I see that outweighing moving. Three, sorry Mr. Wright, but you are gone too. Citi ain't Shea and we cannot have a .200 #3/#4 hitter. That leaves us with a solid, less expensive rebuilding, foundation and we will be ready to challenge in 3 years.

But they feel that IF they do re sign him they won't have money for any other parts.

Sandra

Giving up 17 runs in 3 games is GOOD pitching ?

Giving up 17 runs in 3 games is GOOD pitching ?

Huh? I'm look at rebuilding; don't care about now and ERAs and such

My reply was to Sandra's comment about the Good pitching the Mats have had of recent.

Originally Posted by SandraC View Post
"They'll have no choice on Bay, but they'll probably keep Reyes, unless the bottom falls out and the Mets drop out of wild card contention in a hurry. Don't see that happening, with the way they've been putting up football scores recently and have also been getting good pitching."

Sandra

Granted it's been better than the Tigers the last 4 days !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)