Amazon announces Amazon FireTV set-top box

That it does. Has the same rubberish coating as the kindle fire back.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

Then again you aren't carrying these things around, so does it matter?

Much like the contrast in the boxes themselves, the UI is "sharper" vs rounded in the roku.

Its nice enough, not groundbreaking. Very usable.

Not surprisingly amazon instant and prime takes center stage.

The remote is similar to the Roku with the advantage of not requiring line of sight. It doesn't have headset support however if that's important.

Does Amazon load instantly?
What happens if your internet is borderline enough to carry hd, any buffering?

Time will tell

The Roku has been around along time, and we know a lot about it, we still do not know what the Fire will be like in 6 months especially if they allow developers some room to innovate, there will also be quick firmware upgrades and channel announcements. The IOS app for Roku was updated yesterday, I don't know about Android, but why does Roku still have a low resolution interface? My controller has shipped, Monday. ron

As part of the launch the Plex Android client is on sale for .99 So if you've got a phone or tablet that you want Plex on it's a great time to pick it up. A caveat is you'll need to install Amazon's app store on the device. Not available in the Play store for that price.

Then again you aren't carrying these things around, so does it matter?

No, but build and design do matter to me. Roku has always been a little poor here. Granted you can't see it, Im glad Amazon went more like ATV and made a better looking more sturdy box, and I like the remote better as well. ATV's remote was always cool to me. The Roku 3 remote does win for headphones though.

I got mine delivered yesterday. Hooked it up with no issue. Loaded the software update and installed in less thna 10 min. Interface is nice and smooth. WIFI connection was strong and saw many networks in the area so the WIFI would assume to be decent. Connected to ESPN and watched a bit with no issue and no buffering. Ended up watching the Jack Reacher Movie in HD start to finish. No buffering at all and great pic for the TV I was on. Linked to a 7mb DSL connection and was multitasking with a laptop at time. That is what I can share for now.

I already have a Roku 3, but I put the FireTV and the controller in my Amazon cart for when I want to purchase additional items, like movies. I can always give the Roku 3 to a friend of family member to let them try out streaming.

Wonder if Aereo will have a client out for it? Our Roku 3 works fine for us and we have an XD as well for our 5 year old as it replaced the cable box in her room. Will the FireHD get support from providers such as Disney or other content providers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts