Amazon Prime Video will stream in HDR10+ on Samsung TVs

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
One of the perpetual gripes about Samsung's newer TVs is that they don't support Dolby Vision for high dynamic range content, limiting you to basic HDR10 for most video. They do offer the more comparable format, but who's using it? As of now, Amazon does. Samsung has announced that Prime Video will stream in HDR10+ on QLED and 'standard' 4K TVs as of December 13th. About 100 TV shows and movies will support the format from the get-go, including Amazon original shows like The Grand Tour and The Tick. Naturally, the intent is to make more of Amazon's catalog HDR10+ friendly over time.

Amazon Prime Video will stream in HDR10+ on Samsung TVs

HDR10+ is royalty free. It should be very attractive to set makers and content providers.

HDR10+ is royalty free. It should be very attractive to set makers and content providers.
If it were all that, they wouldn't have had to court Panasonic and 20th Century Fox so hard to come to the HDR10+ dance. This is sure to be the biggest knock-down, drag-out since HD-DVD vs Blu-ray and it is shaping up in a remarkably similar fashion on the hardware side.

HLG was developed by the BBC and NHK is also royalty-free and is incorporated by reference in the ATSC 3.0 standard.

I point out that in the HD-DVD vs Blu-ray conflict, the royalty-heavy format won.

That sounds great in theory. I'm all for royalty free formats. I just shelled out for a TV and AVR that support Dolby Vision and HDR 10 though. The idea of HDR 10+ taking market share is real bummer unless they are able to roll out updates to Dolby Vision compatible hardware to those of us who have already bought in.

Nah, you just need to make sure your next TV supports HLG.

This is also a bummer. My Denon S730H says it is getting HLG support with a firmware update but it currently only supports HDR and Dolby Vision. I don't think my TV does support it though and I haven't heard anything about HLG support coming in the future. They only advertise support for HDR 10 and Dolby Vision.

My Denon S730H says it is getting HLG support with a firmware update but it currently only supports HDR and Dolby Vision. I don't think my TV does support it though and I haven't heard anything about HLG support coming in the future.
It isn't surprising that an AVR manufacturer might add support for a video protocol to an AVR; just pass on any video handshaking. The real question is whether or not an AVR can be updated to support Dolby AC4 audio.

The next five years or so are going to be interesting (in the Chinese curse sense). Hopefully we'll see some resolution in HDR and audio standards for both broadcast and streaming. ATSC 3.0, for its part, isn't helping by having two independent audio standards.

For what it's worth:

I have the Samsung UBD K8500 and use it for my Netflix, Amazon, YT, and now I just added Hulu ( but this doesn't support 4K streaming except on XBox 1 and PS4 ) The player is quite good but I don't know if it will support HDR10+ Besides I use a projector, Sony VPL VW665ES and while I am extremely pleased with it I know it does not perform well with HDR content as it's brightness levels are just not high enough.

Do I need HDR10+ ? I don't know but it is a hard sell to me since I am so pleased with what I have. I'm still a huge fan of 1080P 3D using the Sony Reality Creation upscaler to 4K for 3D. IMO entertainment just doesn't get much better!

Do I need HDR10+ ?
HDR10+ adds the ability to adjust the HDR baseline continuously so it should give better brightness range over content that has extreme dynamic range. It seems unlikely to get significant hardware support outside of Samsung and Panasonic; especially now that HLG has made a splash.

Thanks for the added info. I haven't really looked into it. If my hardware ever supports it, fine, but currently, I'm more into experimenting with 360VR 3D to add to my system and that whole presentation has nothing to do with the home theater.

I did see Dolby Vision 3D and atmos in a Disney theater on the Cruise Ship Fantasy 2 weeks ago and the quality was excellent. Disney really knows how to do it well. Saw Coco.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)