Amazon will soon share your home Wi-Fi with strangers’ devices

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TRG

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 19, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
I have multiple problems with this. The largest being that Amazon thinks they can do this without your consent. If I hadn't come across this article I would have had no idea this was happening soon. I love my echo and echo dot's but this is starting to make me have second thoughts. Anyway, without further pontification I'll pass along this information. Do with it as you see fit.

Reactions: TheKrell
The people who are writing these articles should be sued.

Amazon is not sharing your wifi so that your neighbor can stream TV, download pirate movies or surf the web.

They are instead creating a new 900 Mhz network which can then be used by devices such as trackers so if someone loses a dog and the dog is wearing a compatible dog finder that dog finder can talk to your network to help find that dog.

Non one gets access to your data, your computer, your networked devices in your house etc. You can't even join your sidewalk network from any device using wifi.

It works very much like what Apple is doing with their Air Tags.

While it is using your internet data(and only limited to use a very small amount between all your compatible devices) its not some wild open WIFI connection to your network.

This explains things better.

The people who are writing these articles should be sued.

Amazon is not sharing your wifi so that your neighbor can stream TV, download pirate movies or surf the web.

They are instead creating a new 900 Mhz network which can then be used by devices such as trackers so if someone loses a dog and the dog is wearing a compatible dog finder that dog finder can talk to your network to help find that dog.

Non one gets access to your data, your computer, your networked devices in your house etc. You can't even join your sidewalk network from any device using wifi.

It works very much like what Apple is doing with their Air Tags.

While it is using your internet data(and only limited to use a very small amount between all your compatible devices) its not some wild open WIFI connection to your network.

This explains things better.

Ohh a spy network..even better

It's Amazon that should be sued! That awful company is just getting more and more invasive, still no where near as bad as Google, but they're getting there. Crap like this should be Opt In, not Opt Out. Another intentional BS move pulled by big tech to further control your life.

If you are having second thoughts about having spying speakers in your home, then throw them away. Last year in an effort to remove Google and Amazon from my life, I got rid of all of my spying speakers. Don't miss them at all. Now I actually have to *gasp* make an effort to turn on a light, after the novelty wore off I hardly even used the stupid things. Canceled Prime , canceled Audible, got rid of my Echo Plus and Echo Dot, haven't purchased a thing on Amazon in over a year. Life is great!

Big tech needs a wake up call. They need to remember they answer to US, we DON'T answer to those bloodsuckers

F - Facebook, Ashamed to say I had an account for six months in 2009 and then realized Facebook is the stupidest thing ever created, removed account in 2009
A - Apple, Proudly haven't owned an Apple device since 2010, Shamefully I did own three prior to that
A - Amazon, Dumped in April 2020, Amazon Free is the way to be
N - Netflix, had it early on in the DVD my mail days, never really paid for the streaming, came included with T-Mobile, when they no longer ate the full cost I opted out, Netflix isn't even worth $2 to me
G - Google, trying like hell to stop using things by this company, I can't wait until the day I can say I'm free of Google

Remove those six companies from your life and you will be happier, I know I am. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by not being on Fakebook for the past 12 years. I don't feel like I need to be trendy and superficial by owning a device with a shiny fruit on the back. I don't need instant gratification, I can order the samething from other places if that means I don't shop on Amazon and wait a few extra days. Never really understood what was so special about Netflix, they have no 'must see' content, and they keep losing more and more as big media launches their own streaming services. Google, well they are just pure evil. A data mining company that offers you 'free' services that you pay for with your privacy.

Unless you are under the age of 20, you've lived without most of these companies in your life, and you can do it again.

I understand there is a piece of property available in Lincoln Montana that is available. You’ll have to build your own cabin, though. The FBI took away the previous one. And they may have some questions for you, such as do you have any wood working skills.....

I understand there is a piece of property available in Lincoln Montana that is available. You’ll have to build your own cabin, though. The FBI took away the previous one. And they may have some questions for you, such as do you have any wood working skills.....
Oh, and IF they try to get you to sell them some sawed-off shotguns, DON'T DO IT!

I asked in the other thread about this but got no reply. Is this 'feature' in the Amazon Fire TV boxes? If yes, where do you turn it off? I looked everywhere in menus and see no mention of it.

Reactions: TheKrell
According to the scumbag company themselves, supposedly no.

What are Sidewalk Bridges, and which devices are able to become Sidewalk Bridges?
Sidewalk Bridges are devices that provide connections to Amazon Sidewalk. Today, Sidewalk Bridges include many Echo devices and select Ring Floodlight and Spotlight Cams. A comprehensive list of Sidewalk devices includes: Ring Floodlight Cam (2019), Ring Spotlight Cam Wired (2019), Ring Spotlight Cam Mount (2019), Echo (3rd gen and newer), Echo Dot (3rd gen and newer), Echo Dot for Kids (3rd gen and newer), Echo Dot with Clock (3rd gen and newer), Echo Plus (all generations), Echo Show (all models and generations), Echo Spot, Echo Studio, Echo Input, Echo Flex.

I asked in the other thread about this but got no reply. Is this 'feature' in the Amazon Fire TV boxes? If yes, where do you turn it off? I looked everywhere in menus and see no mention of it.
Its in the Alexa app that can be used to control it

Reactions: FTA4PA
Doesn't look like that's on the affected list.
Here is the list of devices Amazon says support Sidewalk:

• Ring Floodlight Cam (2019)
  • Ring Spotlight Cam Wired (2019)
  • Ring Spotlight Cam Mount (2019)
  • Echo (3rd gen and newer)
  • Echo Dot (3rd gen and newer)
  • Echo Dot for Kids (3rd gen and newer)
  • Echo Dot with Clock (3rd gen and newer)
  • Echo Plus (all generations)
  • Echo Show (all models and generations)
  • Echo Spot
  • Echo Studio
  • Echo Input
  • Echo Flex

Doesn't look like that's on the affected list.

Its in the Alexa app that can be used to control it
Good to hear that the Fire TV is not on the list of devices. If it was I guess I would be out of luck turning sidewalk off as I don't use a smart phone so no place to install the Alexa App. :rolleyes

Good to hear that the Fire TV is not on the list of devices. If it was I guess I would be out of luck turning sidewalk off as I don't use a smart phone so no place to install the Alexa App. :rolleyes
There is a way to disable sidewalk through your Amazon account. No smart phone required. But yeah, you are in the clear so it's not necessary.

Bottom line, Amazon is using hardware that you bought and paid for and a small amount of your Internet band width to work with other products owned by other people and they are profiting at your expense. This information should be posted on the front page of every news paper and on every TV news channel with instructions on how to opt out. I own some of the affected Amazon products and have never been notified by Amazon about the use of my equipment and Internet and had to read it on a satellite forum. How sad is that?

FYI - I switch all my Alexa devices off when not streaming music or radio with one of these.

Belkin-Conserve-Outlet-Switch.jpg

Bottom line, Amazon is using hardware that you bought and paid for and a small amount of your Internet band width to work with other products owned by other people and they are profiting at your expense. This information should be posted on the front page of every news paper and on every TV news channel with instructions on how to opt out. I own some of the affected Amazon products and have never been notified by Amazon about the use of my equipment and Internet and had to read it on a satellite forum. How sad is that?

Well you agreed to it in the terms and conditions, likely. Also they’ll be by to turn you into ground chuck, so you’ll want to opt out of that too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts