AMC 14 Satellite Launch Failure - What now for Dish?

Didn't the Breeze-M have 3 burn stages? If it was the second that failed, could there be any way they could try and fire the third stage to get it further out? Of course, that's assuming that it didn't separate and that there is a way to fire the third stage from the ground. So that's probably a stretch.

Iam getting dish installed today. I tried getting Directv a few weeks agao but I didnt have a clear line of sight. I heard I meight be able to get DISH as they use a different location. SO after hearing about the satellite a few weeks ago I thought Dish would be a great idea and it would catch up to D* but with this news will it? I signed up for a "no contract" deal-month to month-total package with all the HD with 20 dollars off a month for a year. But do you think I should sign up? Iam not sure I will get a line of sight either. Oh well -I have comcrap and would like D* but Iam sure Dish is better than comcrap. It has 10 more HD channels but I will lose fox local HD and CW HD which kinda sucks.

Iam getting dish installed today. I tried getting Directv a few weeks agao but I didnt have a clear line of sight. I heard I meight be able to get DISH as they use a different location. SO after hearing about the satellite a few weeks ago I thought Dish would be a great idea and it would catch up to D* but with this news will it? I signed up for a "no contract" deal-month to month-total package with all the HD with 20 dollars off a month for a year. But do you think I should sign up? Iam not sure I will get a line of sight either. Oh well -I have comcrap and would like D* but Iam sure Dish is better than comcrap. It has 10 more HD channels but I will lose fox local HD and CW HD which kinda sucks.

Not sure that if you couldn't get line of site with DirecTV you are going to be in much better shape with DISH.. Both systems use the 110/119 locations but Direct does use the higher 99/101/103 locations. Those are usually much easier to get.. Dish locations like 119 and 129 are normally very low look angles.. Guess it really just depends on where your trees/hills are.

...But do you think I should sign up? Iam not sure I will get a line of sight either. Oh well -I have comcrap and would like D* but Iam sure Dish is better than comcrap. It has 10 more HD channels but I will lose fox local HD and CW HD which kinda sucks.

If you can get a line of sight, then there is no reason why you shouldn't sign up.

Unless you own a flat screen tv there is little reason to establish a new account or up-grade your satellite hardware to MPEG4. There are a large number of customers in this bracket...

They could also free up 15 channels by getting rid of VOOM due to noncompliance witih FCC regulations on Closed Captioning (not to mention lack of programming)

I wasn't aware that there was a requirement to provide CC for non-broadcast channels. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever heard that there was a requirement to provide it at all. And if there is such a law, there shouldn't be.

Now as for wasting space, the biggest waste from the CUSTOMER's viewpoint is the PPV channels. They repeat not a small number of programs like VOOM, but ONE program all day long for days or weeks at a time, yet you can't watch any of it without paying each time.

You should think of VOOM's frequent repetition as free VOD -- which is one area in which most cable companies have a feature that Dish doesn't.

I agree on the PPV as well, and I really would like MonsterHD if they had CC, they also could get rid of alot of the shopping channels!! On the CC issue, yes there is a regulation and for all of the people that are hearing impaired, CC is a lifesaver.

Last edited:
I use closed captioning as well. Not because I'm hearing impaired but partially because I may hear something on a show and it doesn't sound right. The captions are usually a few seconds back.

Considering some of the closed caption data compared to what was actually said, some of these programmers should be ashamed of themselves really.

Ok, I'm a total n00b here, so please, any help would be appreciated. I'm just wondering how I'm set equipment-wise with all this talk of launching new satellites/converting to MPEG4. I had Dish installed last year, and my HD box is a VIP622 and the dish on the roof says Dish 1000. Now if/when these upgrades happen, am I gonna need to repoint the Dish (which I believe is now set to 119) or have any new equipment installed?

With you having a VIP receiver, you have an MPEG4 Receiver, so you are all set already for an all MPEG4 solution.

As for repoint, everyone is speculating on what COULD happen. No one knows what will happen, so thinking about repointing is premature. Also, if you have HD, are probably pointed at 110, 119, and 129 (all 3 can be seen by the 1000.2. For now, nothing will change. You will continue seeing the same things. It is future channels and other changes Dish plans and makes that may change.

Geoff

The really bad thing about all of this is that we will never know the Dish true meaning of "Soon":D

NHL Network

CONUS HD Locals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)